“so close...and yet so far” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Baltimore, Maryland
“so close...and yet so far”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This month, a friend gifted me a long weekend so that I could go someplace and concentrate on writing. After much deliberation, I chose the Westin Tampa Bay, cashed in some Starpoints, and got on a plane.

There is a lot to recommend about this hotel, and only a few negatives (and those negatives are not all THAT negative). Overall, I would definitely stay here again. For a business traveler needing easy access to Tampa but still wanting a quasi-beachy location, I'm not sure there IS a better place. If your goal is a relaxing beach vacation, without needing a car to get to open water, this may not be the best place for you.

First, the good stuff:

1) This is one of the cleanest, most carefully maintained hotels I have ever stayed in. You know how there's always that weird piece of hair, or a smudgy spot, or a stain? None of those things happened at the Westin.

2) There are no bad views. I suppose that an argument could be made that facing Southeast, over Tampa Bay, is better, but I liked my room facing Northwest, which looked out over a small corner of the Bay full of fish, dolphins, birds, and possibly a manatee. Plus, I got sunsets. Every room is on the 7th floor or higher, and looks out at SOMETHING beautiful.

3) Most of the staff is very helpful. The valet parking guys were very pleasant and professional even though I encountered them in very busy periods, and the airport shuttle guys were delightful, friendly, and very knowledgable about the hotel and the area.

4) Aqua. I am going to go write a separate review of the hotel's restaurant, but overall, I was impressed. Lunch and dinner from both the bar/lounge menu and the regular dinner menu are excellent, while breakfast there is not great, but it's okay. It functions as breakfast.

5) There is an actual Starbucks in the lobby, with Starbucks-like hours, not a coffee bar with Starbucks branding.

6) The whole setting is lovely, and they do a great job maximizing the flow between inside and outside space. This includes a very small very private beach, which is strangely insulated from the causeway running along right next to it.

7) The bathroom was large, shiny, and clean, and the shower was maybe the best shower I have ever used anywhere.

8) It's very close to the airport and the highway, but there is surprisingly little noise/smell/chaos resulting from either, which means that it's just plain convenient.

And now the less good stuff:

1) the front desk staff were...aloof, let's say. They were not unprofessional, and some of them were very pleasant, but the overall feeling I got from them was of impatience. Staff at the doors, in the restaurant, in housekeeping, and in parking/shuttling were much better and friendlier.

2) Although the setting for the hotel is lovely, it's kind of on the wrong side of the causeway, which makes it VERY DIFFICULT to get to the open water from there.

3) There is a small beach, which is great, but during my stay I found that while the sand was quite nice, the water mostly comprises the back end of a series of channels in from the Bay, which means that a lot of gunk and trash floats in. The staff works hard to keep it clean, and it's certainly not horrible, but it's also not the same as going to the actual beach, by a long shot. Also, they offer JetSki rentals, which is fine, except that they are often displayed in a way that takes up most of the beach. In addition, sometimes the rental guy decides to tidy up the beach by hitching a chain web to the back of his ATV and roaring up and down the very small beach to grade/plane the sand. Although this results in prettier sand, it also results in SO MUCH NOISE and an unbelievable fuel stink. I did not like this part at all.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side face the larger expanse of the Bay and also the Tampa skyline. Rooms on the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear faunboy,
Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your comments, both good and less than good, and rest assured that both will be shared and used to help us to continue to improve. It is obvious that you put quite a bit of thought into your review and I would like you to know that your feedback is very important to all of us and never taken lightly. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Ron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Alexandria, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Came to The westin to have lunch at their restaurant which was referred to me by a friend. I must say after my experience from all of the employees there, I will definitely be staying there next time. From the moment i walked through the front doors, I was welcomed with a smile. All the employees seemed so happy to be there.
The restaurant had an amazing view and the food was wonderful! Although I was eating alone my server Aldo really took care of me. He seemed very young, but knew so much about the different wines they offered. He suggested a northwest riesling which has now become my new favorite.
Overall, I had a memorable experience at the westin. Now i wish i hadnt stayed at the Doubletree.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear jessica w,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your opinion of your brief visit . I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your lunch and that Aldo made you feel welcome. Hopefully your plans will allow you to return to Tampa in the near future and, if so, we look forward to the opportunity of having you be our guest.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed here for business and have loved my experience. The beds and pillows are the most comfortable of any hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff are all very welcoming and courteous. The beach is lovely and makes travelling for business a little more enjoyable! My one complaint would be that there is not complimentary wireless - it costs $9.95 per day and the connection in the hotel rooms is horrible! The WiFi at the restaurant was much better. I found that I had to sit close to the restaurant in order to get a good connection. I ended up doing a lot of work at the restaurant rather than in my hotel room as I would've preferred. Overall, a great experience. If the wifi were better, I would mark it 5/5. I would also love to see a spa in the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear A P,

Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for selecting the Westin Tampa Bay and for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am happy to hear that your overall stay was enjoyable and that you found our Staff to be very welcoming and courteous. I would like to also apologize for any issues that you had with the WIFI while you were in your room. We will certainly look into the matter to see if we are/were having some intermittent problems or if there was an usually high demand on the bandwidth. Nonetheless, the problem should not have occurred. Hopefully, we will have another opportunity to serve you again and please let us know if you encounter any problems during your stay so that we can correct them immediately.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great location, great service, Starwood points and a private beach outside one of Tampa's best restaurants. Ask for a waterview room and take advantage of the great workout facility. the hotels location is a little different in between Tampa and St. Pete but tthe proximity to the airport is great! Grab a jet ski and enjoy your time here!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Pechorin L,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments are a major incentive for our entire team to continue to raise the bar and provide service that is nothing less than personal and instinctive. Hopefully, your travels will allow you to visit Tampa again soon as we will look forward to having you as our guest once more.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've stayed here on numerous occasions for business. It is so easy, clean, comfortable, modern...exactly what you want for a few days out of town.

The rooms are soooo comfortable, with great beds and pillows. The bathrooms are modern and spacious.

I should add that I have rarely eaten there, so I can't comment on the restaurants or food.

As for the location, it offers wonderful views. It is perfect for business in the area, from the Tampa Bay airport to cross the causeway. It is very close to the airport, and I'd rather use their shuttle to get away from the airport. It gives you the feel of being on a Florida vacation. Their shuttle starts quite early and should be good enough for most morning flights.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Gary M.,

Your comments, loyalty and kind words are very much appreciated. We are also very pleased to see that your stays have been enjoyable and have hopefully left you feeling refreshed when you leave. Our goal is to always provide service that is personal and instinctive so please let us know how we can enhance your impressions in the future.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Westin is excellent! - beautiful hotel and service. Great amenities and location. Very nice touches around the hotel. This is a very new hotel, clean with well-appointed amenities. Good to have a Starbuks as well. Well Done! thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a great time at this hotel during Spring Training. I realized that I never posted a review and I wanted to share my thoughts on our new go to hotel in Tampa. Our plan was to stay for 2 nights and drive to Miami and spend 2 days before we flew back to NY. We ended up adding one more night and then adding one more for a 4 night stay. The location is convenient and even though its next to a main road it didnt feel that way. I can't give it 5 stars because its just not a 5 star location or type of hotel. But, once you step inside you can completely forget that. There is a Starbucks onsite which is always a plus for me and an area on the bay where you can have coffee in the morning while the sun comes up and then at night it turns into an adult space for cocktails outdoors. Really lovWe will definitely be back next spring.

Two things to note...I wish we had a balcony and breakfast wasn't great in the restaurant but there were more than enough choices in the area. You definitely need a car but its a great place to start and end your day. We saw people in the water but we skipped that. Really loved it for a quick weekend and a great place to come back to after a day of baseball or shopping. We will definitely be back next spring.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Shopbound,

On behalf of the entire Staff, I would like to thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your thoughts even after several months have passed. Your comments have been shared with our Associates and they certainly provide the incentive to help us all continue to raise the bar. We look forward to seeing you in the Spring as well and having the opportunity to provide you with service that is nothing less than personal and instinctive.

Ron Alicandro,

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!