“clean,new, not great though” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 159 hotels in Tampa
“clean,new, not great though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a great hotel if you just want a fresh modern looking place to sleep. I was impressed because it was so new but I only needed a quick place to sleep after being at the beach all day. However if this was my vacation place I'd be really depressed because the pool in indoors. The beach faces the main highway, however they do have great water sports activities there so if your planning on getting out on the water then it would be good. Their breakfast was pretty good but the waitress was not very nice and actually made us feel like a burden. Overall it was okay. Very pretty modern hotel though.

Room Tip: they have beautiful bay views!!! Pick a room with a view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
westintampabaygm, General Manager at Westin Tampa Bay, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Luvn2travl4,

Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience. I am pleased to hear that you were pleased with your overall experiemce and that you appreciated the modern fresh feel of the rooms as well as the Bayviews which all of our guestrooms offer. Our guestrooms begin on the 8th floor and they all have waterviews. I agree that the watersport activities can be a great deal of fun especially since you are able to ride the boats and wave runners out into the open bay. The indoor pool although not out in the sunlight is quite popular during inclement weather or when those afternoon storms come rolling in. I guess that the ideal scenario would be to have and indoor and an outdoor pool which is not out of the realm of possibility. It sounds as though we fell short with the service aspect of your breakfast and for that I would certainly like to extend my apologies. All comments are reviewed with our Associates on a daily basis and both the compliments and constructive comments are helpful. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Woodstock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a view of the bay from our room. We were there on 4th of July and they opened the roof top area for us to view the fireworks! Amazing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Bethany D.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your 4th of July stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to also enjoy the fireworks from our rooftop room, BluVu. This was the first year that we decided to do this and based upon the response that we received, we certainly plan to do it every year and even expand upon it. Hopefully you will join us again next year, but even better we hope to see you again before then.
Thank you again and have a great remainder of the Summer.

Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed here in late June of 2012. Check in was a breeze, and my preferences for a room (high floor/away from elevator) were actually looked at without me having to ask! Hotel Member Programs routinely ask for this in your profile but I've rarely found a hotel to actually look at your preferences before giving you a room. The lady confirmed my preferences (proactively) and gave me a great room.
The room itself was spotless, bed incredibly comfortable, and the spacious bathroom had a double-headed shower that was very refreshing. The views of the water were nice as well. I also enjoyed the HDTV and work desk.
I had a few drinks at AQUA the night before I left. The staff was very friendly and I had no complaints.
The location is great, with wonderful views of the water and close to nearby restaurants. The only thing that could make it better would be if there was a nearby convenience store, but that's not a big issue.
The hotel shuttle was also wonderful. I thought I'd try walking to Whiskey Joe's (down the street a little ways), and halfway down the road the shuttle stopped and asked if I still wanted to ride. Pretty nice. They were also very quick to pick me up when I called from the nearby Bahama Breeze. I used them on my way to the airport upon departure and had no problems.
I would definitely stay here again. I don't remember the last time I saw hotel employees be as proactively involved in making a guest happy.
Great job!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear bozo 700,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. Your comments are very much appreciated and have been shared with our entire Team. Your feedback is very important and is by far our report card as to how we are performing and achieving our goal of providing service that is nothing short of personal and instinctive. We look forward to the opportunity of having you be our guest again in the very near future. Until then, thank you again for your kind words and please feel free to ask for me upon your return.

Largo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed for a business conference June 21-June 23. My company had 12 people staying at the hotel. From the beginning, they could not find my reservation, but mistakes happen and that was cleared up. Upon trying to enter my room, my card key did not work. Once again, things happen, and I was given a replacement that worked right away. The bed was very comfortable and the room very clean. Food was at Aqua was decent, but upon checkout, I was told there were no charges to my room. (I have the check out receipt to confirm this.). 24 hours later, I had a charge which my bank verified was from the Westin, Courtney Campbell Causeway, Tampa, Fl. I called the Westin on Sunday, June 24,and was told I was mistaken. Just to be sure, I called my bank again and they verified it was the Westin. Called back, and the front desk was not very helpful, borderline on rude. They confirmed it was a room charge, but since accounting wasn't there until tomorrow, there was nothing to be done. I was reassured this would be 'made right'. They were wrong. I called back at close of business on Monday, June 25, and nothing was communicated to anyone concerning my account. Finally, spoke to Jennifer, who agreed the room charges should not have been charged to my account. She was helpful, and said it should take no more than 48 hours to reverse the charges. Everything was made right two days later, but the stress and hassle left a lot to be desired. My company invested a lot in the conference including 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and a dinner at Aqua for 20 people. I expected better. Westin didn't bother to apologize for how anything was handled. Disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Thomas B.,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the accounting problems you experienced with your charges after you had checked out. I can assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service and accuracy that we strive to achieve. Comments such as yours are taken constructively and your concerns have been addressed with the individuals who were directly involved. We now see where and how the error was made, but once again, without you feedback we would not have been aware of the flaw.
I was happy to read that your stay itself was enjoyable especially the comfort of the bed, cleanliness of your room and the quality of the food in Aqua.Thank you again for sharing your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Lorton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed for 1 night. Even though the hotel was only about 50% full was given a room without a view - the bellman called and got it changed but why was that necessary? It did increase the tip that I gave him. Noticed that the minibar inventory was wrong and called about it - was told "no problem, we have the right inventory" twice - was still charged for items that I did not use. Also it's the first time in over 35 years of travel that my credit card has been intentionally overcharged - I'm told it was held as a deposit - I'm familiar with that being done with a debit card card but not a credit card - was told that's our policy. My policy is to not go there again.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alan B.,

Please allow me this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to make us aware of some of the issues you experienced during your most recent stay. I can assure you that all of your concerns have been addressed and we have made every effort possible to correct those which can be.
Our guestrooms do not even begin until the 8th floor and they all face the water from both sides of the hotel. so I am somewhat confused as to why the view from your first room was not desirable. Nonetheless, a higher floor probably guarantees one of the "best" views in any hotel. It is policy for all Starwood Hotels and other brands that I have worked for to authorize an additional amount, typically $100 to $150 per night, on a credit card or debit card to cover any incidental charges. Your card is not charged any additional unless there are additional expenses incurred.
I would like to apologize for the inventory mistake with your mini bar. i understand how frustrating that can be especially since you brought it to our attention when you first checked in. Our mini bar Captain has been made aware of your situation and steps are in place to avoid that from happening again.
Thank you again for taking the time and especially for being our guest. Hopefully you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with the level of service you have come to expect from Westins.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

An impressive hotel. Nicely appointed and clean rooms. Comfortable beds and a great bathroom with a separate shower and bath. Well decorated for this price range. We stayed for four nights. One of the better exercise rooms I've seen in a hotel in awhile. Dumbells, exercise machines, treadmills, ellipticals, it even had exercise balls and exercise mats for use. We had an issue with the Internet service- we were charged multiple times each day instead of the $9.95 per day as advertised, but the extra charges were removed at checkout. The hotel has a great restaurant called Aqua in it, on the high end, but great food. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mario M.,

Thank you for selecting the Westin Tampa Bay and thank you also for your very kind comments. It is always a true pleasure to receive feedback such as yours and it encourages our team to raise the bar even higher.
We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the design of the guestroom and bathroom and that you found our Heavenly Bed to be just that!! The Westin Workout does get quite a bit of use and is a major plus when it comes to rejuvenation. I am glad that you were able to use it.
I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed Aqua, our Award winning restaurant. We do have an all day menu which is priced lower because it does not feature the larger more expensive dinner size portions. I am sorry if we did not offer you that menu, but please feel free to ask for it next time. I apologize for the confusion with the internet charge and that it was posted to your folio multiple times. We did have a tempoary interface problem during that time, but it has since been corrected.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to having the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The hotel and location worked out great for my family -- convenient for downtown, beaches and airport. We had a wonderfully relaxing two day stay here. The staff was courteous and efficient, the room was airy, clean and welcoming, the view breathtaking and the bathroom spacious and spotless! The onsite Starbucks was handy and the room service dining was excellent! The one complaint we might have had is that the pool is rather small, but after having spent much of the day at the Clearwater area beaches, none of us wanted to use a pool. Great value all around and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: high floor but not near the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear S D,

On behalf of our entire Staff, I would like to thank you for selecting the Westin Tampa Bay and for your very kind comments. I have shared your comments with our Team and they were very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and hopeful that you will return soon. We are also happy to hear that our location worked out for you and that you appreciated the central location putting you close to the beaches, shopping, countless restaurants and even the theme parks.

We all look forward to you and your family visiting with us again and hope you have a great remainder of the Summer.

Ron Alicandro

Been to Westin Tampa Bay? Share your experiences!