“Love the hotel, but just watch out for the balcony door. LOL” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MainStay Suites

You added MainStay Suites to your Saves list
MainStay Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10007 Princess Palm Avenue, Tampa, FL 33619 (Formerly Baymont Inn & Suites Tampa Sabal Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #93 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Love the hotel, but just watch out for the balcony door. LOL”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at MainStay last weekend for the KISS/ Motley Crue concert. We came in early and stayed both Friday and Saturday night. I read the TripAdvisor reviews and some said it was run down, but with the amount of space it offered I figured we would give it a try anyway.

We checked in and the girl at the front desk was very sweet. We paid for a room with a balcony and for some reason she gave us a room without one. (Something probably was trying to warn us not to get a balcony right there LOL). We went back and let her know and she instantly gave us the correct room and even made sure it was right across the hallway so we wouldn't have to move our stuff far. We walked in the room and just LOVED the place.

The furniture wasn't brand new, but it was comfortable and served it's purpose. There were nicks here and there, but nothing was dirty. The refrigerator was a small one although I seemed to remember the photos having a full size fridge. I loved having the 1 1/2 bath so we didn't have to go downstairs at night when we needed to use the restroom. It was nice to have a kitchen, living room and a bedroom upstairs. NOTE: If you have kids the bedroom upstairs is only a loft so there is no privacy. You can see upstairs from the couch downstairs. This worked for us since there was only 2 of us.

The only real complaint we had is when we went out on the balcony very late the first night we got locked out. We were stuck out there for over an hour. My husband had to climb down the balcony to get help and they didn't have keys for the balcony door. Our front door was bolt locked so they couldn't get in that way either. They finally had to break the bolt lock after throwing us up many different sets of keys to try and several calls to the manager. The door knob to the balcony turns on one side, but is locked on the other side so you wouldn't know it was locked when you walk out the door. Although they did help us, I would have figured they would have been more apologetic to customers that were locked out of their room by a door handle that would easily lock someone out and them not having keys for us to go back in.

Other than that it was a nice room with extremely nice staff. We would go there again, but we will make sure we unlock the window on the balcony in case we got stuck out there again. LOL

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric S, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your response, and I wanted to thank you for bringing the balcony lock to our attention, we are working on making some changing to make sure that will not happen to anyone in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed in room 106 with a king bed.Although the room was somewhat dated, the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, no bugs, everything worked and the staff was friendly. There was a nice little courtyard with a fountain and a pool. The area is an office park that seemed very well kept and the hotel had a nice pond next to it. Great location close to amphitheater,fairgrounds & casino. I'd call it a good deal for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

The room I stayed in was full of mold in bathroom and even smelled of mold. The air didn't work right. The bathroom was not the cleanest. The towels had holes in them. I spoke to housekeeping and they said its the owners fault cause they let him(JP the owner)know everything that's wrong and he won't fix it. I even tried to talk to the owner when i left the following day and all i got is that he was busy.Housekeeping told me there is mold in other rooms too and they get told to cover it with bleach.... Thats not healthy at all. Housekeeping girls were very friendly and I know it's not there fault. I will not be staying there again! Worst hotel I ever stayed in!

• Stayed May 2012
Maryland suburbs of DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I was traveling on stressful family business, needed a nice place, thought from reviews this was going to be good-- suite style, good reviews, good location, seemed like a good value. Got in late after a long drive, received a friendly greeting, but it was hard to find parking and then it was hard to find our room from the parking lot- kind of behind what I recall as a dumpster (or service?) area, not well lit, showing us the worst parts of their hotel. A daylight arrival may have assisted our overall perception of this hotel.

The room itself was really dated and worn down. The linens were stiff, the towels scratchy. Everything needed to be updated. In our ground floor room we didn't feel especially safe, either. The bed was, well, odd, with a hard edge and then you sunk in the middle-- kind of cut into the thighs if you sat on the edge. Once in bed, it was OK-- not great.

The suite layout was awkward, small for a "suite hotel", but had a kitchenette (note, while it included cabinets, sink, fridge, microwave, etc, no plates, cutlery, etc to actually use it).

I am not rating this as "poor" overall because it was as advertised, the staff was nice, I just thought based on other's reviews it would be much better. Perhaps there are nicer rooms than we got. (Which were reserved at a regular rate, not through a third party such as Priceline).

We checked out early and moved on down to the road to much happier accommodation. We did not complain to the staff because our dissatisfaction was outside their control- the basic comfort of the room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We were in town for the Jimmy Buffett concert at the Florida Amphitheatre and booked here after reading the great reviews online and let me tell you, the hotel did not disappoint!

I'd like to echo the previous poster's comment regarding the staff. They went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied and I really appreciated that.

As far as the room, it was, in one word, BEAUTIFUL! They gave us one of the 2 story townhouses with a balcony overlooking the pond and it was just gorgeous and so spacious!

I was very pleased with my experience and I'll certainly book a room at this hotel the next time I'm in Tampa.

Room Tip: If you're in town for an event at the Florida Amphitheatre or the Florida Fairgrounds this is th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We arrived VERY LATE on a Friday night. When we went to the front desk, we were greeted by an absolutely, amazingly pleasant young man by the name of Jordan Turner. His kindness and his professionalism and proficiency stood out so powerfully that we had to mention it to him! We travel frequently and arrive late most of the time. In all our years of travel, we have NEVER met a soul like Jordan! He was such a bright and beautiful light that we have vowed to stay at the Baymont Tampa EVERY TIME we travel to Tampa. We would love to run into Jordan Turner at every single hotel we check into across the country!! Thank you Baymont Tampa for hiring such an awesome staff, especially Jordan! :)

Room Tip: Make sure your room faces the little lake. Very peaceful.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Book on PriceLine name your own price. Priceline does not allow you to pick how many beds or number of people. They ask you to call the hotel after to ask for the number of beds you need. I called the following morning and was told by the clerk I could get 2 double beds. When we arrived I was told that was not booked and we were getting a single king bed for the 4 people we had and they only have a limited amount of double anyway and continued to blame it on the third party Priceline. This is the second time this has happened with Priceline. We had worked that day and arrived for check in around 7pm. After being charged an extra $60 upgrade to a king bed and pull out we proceeded to our room on the 2nd floor (no elevators) and found the whole hotel area smelled like an old smokers hotel. They claimed to be renovated on one of the sites but even the new carpet and some paint couldn't cover up the smell. We also found worn cabinetry, stained chairs, and even crumbs in the pull-out. The kids now wanted to go to the pool for a little bit around 8pm to find it closed. When asked about it reply was "it closes at dusk". So much for the business traveler. among other things like missing air conditioner covers on a lot of the units and old microwaves, I would not stay here again. The moral: Don't negotiate a deal on Priceline is you need more than one bed. It's not guaranteed.

Room Tip: Book direct and don't expect a deal. Limited types of rooms. No elevator if you have knee proble...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!