“Room smelled worse than a stale ashtray.” 1 of 5 stars

East Lake Inn
6529 Hillsborough Ave., Tampa, FL 33610   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Tampa B&B and Inns
Kissimmee, Florida
“Room smelled worse than a stale ashtray.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

If you are a non-smoker, you should avoid this motel at all costs! The stench of stale cigarette smoke odor that greeted us when we opened the door to the room was staggering. I quickly used the restroom and never returned to the room. It wasn't easy to procure another room on a busy weekend night when there was a huge concert at the nearby fairgrounds, but it was clear that we wouldn't be staying here. I refused to even leave my bags in the room for fear that they would absorb the smell. Yes, I am a non-smoker, but my husband is a former smoker. He has no problem spending 8-12 hours at a time in the smoke-filled Hard Rock Casino, but he, too was overwhelmed by the stench upon entering the room.

The two minutes I spent in my room using the restroom explained why the management has "No refunds" pasted all over the property and on all of the paperwork. Apparently, they only have one non-smoking room in the entire building, but don't bother trying that one-- I saw a woman exiting the room puffing away while chatting on her cell phone. It didn't seem to surprise the manager on duty at all when I checked out a few hours after checking in. They seemed to be accustomed to very short-term rentals.

It's a shame that we weren't able to give this motel a more favorable evaluation. With the exception of the terrible smell, they did seem to have made an effort to present a clean room and premises.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Neil P, Neil, Manager at East Lake Inn, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Even though some time has passed, it is always discouraging to hear from an unsatisfied guest. I apologize that the hotel did not live up to your expectations, and wish you had been able to stay a little longer!

As you noted, we are committed to maintaining a clean environment, which is why we want to ensure that our hotel feels and smells as clean as it truly is. That said, we will heed your feedback, and do what we can to keep out the cigarette smell.

The next time you are in Tampa, I hope that you will give us another chance to impress you with top-notch service and a clean, fresh-smelling environment. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and take care.

Neil, Manager

1 person has reviewed this hotel

Been to East Lake Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about East Lake Inn

Address: 6529 Hillsborough Ave., Tampa, FL 33610
Location: United States > Florida > Tampa
Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi )
Ranked #4 of 9 B&Bs / Inns in Tampa
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your East Lake Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage East Lake Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.