“Caterpillar Transforming Resort Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11310 North 30th Street, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Ranked #98 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Caterpillar Transforming Resort Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Though the hotel is going through a serious renovation to become a Holiday Inn Suites the bones are exceptional and the service was top class. My suite had been physically renovated in a retro Art Deco style as far as most pieces were concerned, the sofa still needed replacing . . . but in a two room suite it was a nonissue. It was quiet and convenient to a large number of modest restaurants ... it was also a short drive to the Veterans Affairs Medical Center Campus and 30 minutes to the airport, plus close to Saint Petersburg. Everything in my suite was clean, wifi worked well, and my suite was actually quiet in spite of major renovations going on. When the renovations are completed this will be an exceptional place to stay with an on-site restaurant. You do need to drive to be at this hotel unless you're going to Busch Gardens and you can cross the street for a short walk to the entrance.

Room Tip: If you're handicapped you should take a room in the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor, which is...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014

There are really no words to describe my experience at this place. My friend was here for medical treatment and arrived two days before I did. I would have moved immediately but she was in pain and was not up to moving. To say the place is under construction is an understatement. The only good thing I can say about this place is the water was hot in the shower. As soon as my friend felt better we moved to the Hyatt next door. There is no comparison.

• Stayed September 2014
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2014

It's not everyday that you can find two ladies who are so sweet and kind not only with their work ethics but with a kind heart and words.. The ladies at the front desk in the day time and in the afternoon are second to none or a great group of girls or should I say ladies who actually cares about their job and the customer... I just wanna say thank you for taking the time to help me sometime when I don't have another place to stay you ladies always come through I'm never disappoint it when I stay here.. Thank You Grand Suites Hotel in Tampa by Busch Gardens this hotel is truly one of the top notches there is..

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The rooms were nice -- spacious 2 room suites, with a small kitchenette area with microwave, sink & fridge.The bathroom is small. Wifi signals were problematic, necessitating a room switch. (Rooms nearer the front office seem to have stronger signal.)
The lighting is dim, and there are no desks and there are too few electrical outlets. It appears that all rooms are being gutted and rebuilt - or at least a major renovation is underway, and there are construction workers all around the property through the workday.
The pool and surrounding public areas are exceptionally nice. The pool is clean and larger than average and the surrounding sitting areas are among the nicest we've encountered in the area.
The hotel is considerably past its prime. But given the spacious dimensions of the rooms and the pool and public spaces, it has potential to be one of the nicer hotels near USF and Busch Gardens.

Room Tip: Wifi may not work if you are far from the front office / check-in desk.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HolidayInnTampa, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share comments about your recent stay. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. You are correct in your observation that the entire hotel is being renovated; including the public areas. We do hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit Tampa as we intend to be among the nicest hotels in the area. Again, thank you for sharing your experience.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I'm never disappointed when I come here.. friendly staff, nice place and for the price can't be beat... even while they fix up the room to better service you staff is still helpful. .. Thank you,, you guys and ladies are the best. ..

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
HolidayInnTampa, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share comments about your recent stay. We are very pleased to know you enjoy our hotel each and every time you stay with us. We are also pleased to know our renovation project has not inconvenienced you in any way. Please stay tuned for the exciting changes yet to come. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

First of all, I hate to give this property a bad review based on the personality of the front desk staff. So friendly!!! I purchased this property on Priceline and paid (with taxes) $78. I was taking my son to USF for orientation. I called the property immediately to ask about rooms having inside corridors, because I would be staying there alone. I was told on the phone that they DID have inside corridors.
I got to the hotel in the early evening. I was only about one mile from campus, which was awesome. I immediately noticed tons of renovations. No big deal. When I checked in, the front desk staff was awesome!!! However, the smell of the lobby was overwhelming!!! It was not a bad smell, but super perfumey that burned your nose. I checked in, and asked again about inside corridors, and was again told, that they have them. I walked up to my room on the third floor, and the rooms are outside. To me, inside corridors means that you enter the rooms from the inside of the hotel. NOT!! I found my room and immediately noticed a huge window and the door to my room was GLASS!!! The door was made of about 16 panes of glass. It was hard to open and sticky. I went in and while the room is spacious (den with pull out sofa), it is older and had the same smell as the lobby!!! It was clean, and had been renovated, but it was putting lipstick on a pig. I don't think I would have minded the room as much if I had not been a female traveling alone. Again, the door was glass that opened up the outside!!!

All in all, I made it through the night. This may be an okay accommodation for a family, but I would never recommend staying there alone. Again, it is not in the best part of town, and I knew that going in, but solid doors would make you feel safer there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
HolidayInnTampa, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for taking time to post candid feed back about your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately, the feeling of safety and security is not something that can be delivered to your door. It seems that you were uncomfortable from the beginning; for that, I do apologize.

I would like to clarify a couple of items you mentioned in your comments for the benefit of future guests who might read this. First, the room you stayed in has not been renovated. I say this honestly because none of our room renovations have been completed so none of our guests have stayed in a newly renovated room. Any guest who stays in one our renovated rooms will certainly know they have stayed in a brand new room. Secondly, our guest room doors do open into the outdoor courtyard area which is accessible only from the lobby or a secured entrance. As part of our renovations, the glass doors of the guest rooms will be replaced with solid doors. Our guests have asked for this change and we have listened.

Our renovation plans are very extensive. When we are finished our guests will feel like they have stayed in a brand new hotel. We are very excited about the changes going on here and we wish you could share our excitement. If there is any possible way we can entice you into giving us a second chance in the future, I invite you contact me directly. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask to speak to the director of operations. Again, we appreciate your taking the time to share your experience.
Lighthouse Point, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

first of all, all the reviews on how friendly the staff is here were Spot On. from the front desk staff, to the maintenance guys to the bartender, Alyce, at the tiki bar. everyone was so friendly and nice. the room was a great size and the A.C. got very cold, which was so nice since it was 96' outside. we ate at the Village Inn next door twice. and we toured the brewery right across the street! we spent both nights at the tiki bar by the pool and ONLY complaint would be that they should be open more than 4 hours!!! great value, great location . .. we will be back.

Room Tip: maintenance is going on in the front right now . . . the back was perfect
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnTampa, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We very pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience with us. Our staff does an outstanding job demonstrating hospitality excellence. We are definitely glad you feel the same way. Please stay tuned to hear about all the exciting changes taking place. We hope to see you again very soon.

Been to Grand Suites Hotel near Busch Gardens - USF? Share your experiences!