“Keep up the good work” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Zoos, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Reservations
Activities: Viewing wildlife
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Do you see yourself looking over the vast Serengeti plains, searching the horizon for a glimpse of a pride of Lions, or a Leopard lounging in the trees? Do you imagine yourself in India, riding an elephant through the high grass with your eyes peeled for the elusive Tiger? Have you ever thought how great it would be to hike through the rainforest, listening to the tropical birds, ever on the lookout for a Leopard or an Ocelot high in the canopy? Have you ever been to the zoo and wanted to be closer to the exotic cats; so close you could almost touch them? You don't have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to make these dreams come true. The world's largest accredited big cat rescue facility is right here in Tampa, Florida at Big Cat Rescue.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Keep up the good work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Thank goodness for places like this that respect and care for the animals we humans abuse. I was initially concerned that after rescuing the cats, confining them to cages would be counter productive, but I had no need to worry. They are all very well looked after and I am sure if they could tell us would be more than grateful for their new lease of life. Many thanks for an informative and eye opening afternoon. I wish you luck in your quest to amend the law in the US for the sake of so many innocent animals.

St Petersburg, Fl
8 attraction reviews
“A night on the prowl”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great place to take kids of any age and wonderfully kept. The animals are well treated and the interaction is not intrusive for them.

Tampa, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Private Photo Tour not great for Professional Photographers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I am a photographer and wanted to get some great photos of wild cats. In all fairness they did warn ahead of time that the 4x4 screen fence will be in view, but I was hopeful that I could work around this. That is not the case, the cats are close to the fence so no way to focus beyond the fence for really good photos. It was still an amazing experience, but I would not recommend it for photographers. That afternoon we went to Busch Gardens they have glass so photographers can get clear shots of the cats. It would be great if Big Cat Rescue could install one section of glass or Plexiglas which would draw more photographers and allow us to get closer to the cats without risk of direct contact with the cats. Check out my photos to see examples of where I was able to focus beyond the fence and when the cat was too close.

Visited November 2012
Ortonville, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I read about this place on Tripadvisor, and we booked tickets online for the afternoon 1 and 1/2 hour walking tour. Definitely advise making reservations ahead of time, as the tour only takes about 15-20 people at a time. Wonderful, educating tour of this huge rescue devoted to big cats. Each guide tells you the story of how each cat was found and rescued, and you can get within 3 feet of the animals in a safe environment. All enclosures are large and quite natural for the cats, with much emphasis placed on the animals enrichment within the natural environment. If you go to the Tampa area, DO NOT MISS this attraction. It greatly increased my awareness of the plight of these wonderful big cats.

Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
“awesome place - very eye-opening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The facility is amazing - I learned so much about big cats and the horrible circumstances that required them to be rescued...I had no idea that people were keeping these beautiful wild animals as pets or in cages for breeding - it was a good education for my teenage daughter. We did two tours - the first was the regular day tour and the second was a feeding tour. Both were excellent and we learned different things. The first tour was conducted by a volunteer who was full of great information about all the cats. We were there for whole prey feeding day so the cats got whole frozen rabbits or rats (depending on the size of the cat) - it was fascinating to watch. The only thing that was a little strange about the tour is that there was a guide and two feeders and the two feeders weren't really allowed to talk to us - there seemed to be a rule that they had to concentrate on the feeding, but often they were finished feeding and just standing there while the guide was talking and trying to answer all the questions. it wasn't a big deal, just seemed odd.
The only thing I would suggest is that they organize their timing a little better - when we booked, it said there would be time to do the day tour at 3 and the feeding tour at 4:30, but we were called in from our day tour early (4:15) to get back in time for the feeding tour - then we had to sit and wait for 3 people who didn't come back when they were called!!! That really irked me - missing part of my tour and then waiting for others. We also didn't get any time to buy anything at the gift shop, which we definitely would have done - we would have liked to support the facility and we saw some nice things in our brief breeze through the shop. We were told to arrive by 2:30 for our 3 pm tour, which we did, but then we were in a line-up for about 20 minutes while someone checked our reservations and then someone else showed us where to park. then we went to another (shorter) line to check in and sign an electronic waiver. Our tour didn't actually start at 3, which is probably why we the tour wasn't finished in time for the feeding tour.
Still, a great facility, with some very passionate volunteers and staff. The cats appeared to be very well cared for

Visited March 2013

Been to Big Cat Rescue? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Big Cat Rescue, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later