“I won't stay again; doubt they would have me back!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Orange City, Florida
“I won't stay again; doubt they would have me back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Positives

The room was spacious.
Beds were fairly comfortable.
There were a microwave and a fridge in room.

Negatives

There was no bedding for the sofabed except for a nasty blanket that had either chocolate or something else on it, if you get my drift. We turned that in to the front desk and got another blanket with a red stain; finally got a decent blanket on the third try. Icky.

The laundry room had two washers and two dryers, but one dryer was out of order; with several soccer teams onsite, doing laundry was slow going!

The elevator broke down and was beeping loudly and constantly for quite a while; you could hear it throughout the hotel, even in our room at the end of the hall.

Last but not least, my pet peeve: the "hot tub" was barely lukewarm. After a long day of travel I was so looking forward to a soak; desk clerk "reset" it and told me to come back later. I did; no change. Tried again the next day, same thing. The desk clerk told me it was working. I told her the reason I had booked this hotel over another was to relax in the hot tub. I am an experienced traveler and I think I know what a hotel hot tub should feel like, and this was not it. I went down later, and there were several kids in the hot tub with the bubbles on. I put my hand in and the temperature was the same, still lukewarm. But the kids didn't seem to mind! The front desk clerk insisted it was working; I disagreed and asked to have a manager call me. The manager later called me in our room, and I told her it most certainly was not working. She was very kind and respectful and said she'd look into it. Too late for me, as we had an early game and would be checking out.

Overall, it was an average property with some glitches, but the thing that bothered me most was the way I was treated. Don't get me wrong; while obviously exasperated with me and my unreasonable thoughts on hot tubbing, the staff was not overtly disrespectful. But to be treated as if I truly must be unaware of what temperature a hotel hot tub should feel like really annoyed me. I solved the problem; I went down the road to the Country Inn and Suites where the rest of the team was staying. They had a hot tub that was heated, imagine that. So I got to have my R&R in their hot tub! And next time I will pay the extra 14 dollars and stay there.

Several days after I arrived home, I received a letter signed by both the owner and the manager of the hotel. It told me that I was mistaken; the hot tub was working. No one else had ever complained, and there were people in it that evening (yeah, kids who enjoy lukewarm water and bubbles!) so obviously it was working. The staff had checked the gauges and it was set to the proper temperature. They were sorry I didn't have a good stay.

Oh dear, I thought. I have to call and let them know that the letter did NOT help. It would've been better if they hadn't sent it at all, since it just emphasized the fact that I am the lone idiot who doesn't understand hot tubs. I called and spoke with the manager. I said "I'm the one who complained about the hot tub." She said, "Room 300?" I laughed. Apparenty Room Three Hundred was a problem child! I told her that I had received the letter she sent, but she had no knowledge of it. Apparently the owner signed her name to it without telling her. So I just politely read the letter to her, told her that the letter made me feel worse about my experience, and she needed to know that. We politely wrapped it up and said our goodbyes.

Goodbye, Comfort Suites Near Raymond James Stadium.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Timmins, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Closer to Raymond James Stadium but nothing else. Girl at front desk was more concerned about her nails than our check-in. Room was OK but tired looking with several cigarette burns in the rug (Smoke free hotel?). Complementary breakfast was very limited and finishes at 09:00 which I feel is too early, especially for those on vacation. I don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
gmfl760, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites near Raymond James Stadium, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us recently, we value your opinions and appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention. I have addressed the issues you have brought up regarding your stay and they have been addressed.

Best Regards,

Comfort Suites near Raymond James Stadium Management.
Kitchener-Waterloo, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Comfort Suites is a little out of the way but the facilities are well kept and the place is pristine. Large, comfortably furnished suites suites with a sitting room, bedroom and big bathroom. Lots of storage space. Good free breakfast buffet. An easy, stress-free, friendly hotel.

The neighbourhood is light industrial but good restaurants are nearby - try the Copa, about 2 km up Waters Ave, excellent Spanish style cuisine in a neighbourhood institution.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
gmfl760, Manager at Comfort Suites near Raymond James Stadium, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your response will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Shital Patel
Manager
813-880-8938
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Been staying here since it opened. Drove in on Monday night and first site was of a group of what looked like homeless people hovering around a truck in the hotel parking lot. They did not look friendly and perhaps the hotel should have known and asked them to leave. The girl at front desk had a bad cold and kept sniffing and was not clear when she spoke..then handed me a pen to sign paperwork after she wiped her nose..yeech. My room was fine but the carpet looked as though it had not been cleaned in a while. Towel in bathroom was unraveling. The next night there was a huge bug that scurried from under the mini fridge. I know it was not a bed bug but I am guessing if some people would have seen it they would have checked out. This used to be a clean and friendly place. Unfortunately it must have changed owners or managers...just not what it was and I doubt I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't check in after 8pm
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Aiken, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We liked this hotel and the convience of locations to get food. The hotel was also very close the the Veterans expressway which takes you to I-275 in order to get downtown. From our room you could see Raymond James Stadium as well as the Skyline of Tampa. The staff was nice, the hotel was clean,our room was clean, our beds were comfortable and me and my family overall was comfortable. We also liked the City of Tampa. We enjoy ourselves everytime we visit Tampa.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Its not a big or Leisure hotel, but still very nice, room very clean, just loved it, i will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Shital Patel
Manager
813-880-8938
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We arrived late to hotel after 8pm after driving over 4 hours in traffic from Captiva Island. After experiencing great hospitality throughout our trip in Florida from Ft. Lauderdale to Naples to Sanibel. We were excited to end our trip in Tampa. But sadly there was no friendly smile here. The receptionist took her time and never even looked up to acknowledge us. No name tag. No hello. It was an awkward moment. At least the room was clean, free breakfast, and less than 10 minutes to airport... but nothing memorable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites near Raymond James Stadium? Share your experiences!