I love this hotel! I love everything about it and, if you're a "bottom line" person looking for my summarized review "up front," here's my recommendation: If you have the opportunity to visit the Tampa Bay area, do yourself a huge favor and book your stay at the Tahitian Inn!
For those who may be interested in more detail I'll continue. I was impressed with this little hotel from the moment I stepped into the lobby. After a four day stay I am still amazed. I've traveled extensively and stayed in many fine hotels all over the world and I've never been so taken with any hotel. The Tahitian Inn is undoubtedly the best kept secret on the west coast of Florida!
Originally opened in 1954, by twin brothers Joe and Frank Pupello, the hotel is still run by Joe (son of the co-founder of the same name) and his wife. The Tahitian Inn is the largest, and possibly the oldest, independently owned and operated hotel in Tampa; completely renovated a few years ago, it consists of 62 guest rooms and 18 suites. The guest rooms have all the amenities and the suites are even more luxurious - some of the suites feature "jacuzzi" tubs and ultra-soft four poster beds and all of them have private balconies.
My room, as well as the entire property and grounds, was immaculate. There was not a spot on the walls or a speck of dust to be found anywhere. It was almost as if I was the first guest to ever occupy the room! Everywhere I looked I saw the results of an extraordinary attention to detail. As examples: The tile around the bathtub extends overhead (precluding the build-up of mildew in a very vulnerable spot), the cedar-lined "closet," the faux finished walls in the bathroom and the accent wall in the dressing area. The building exterior and grounds reflect similar care and thoughtful attention; from the little palm trees on the exterior sconces to the several well-placed rock waterfalls, it becomes readily apparent that your enjoyment here is of paramount importance to the hotel staff.
The hotel cafe has long served as a local favorite featuring such "native" delights as the "MoJoe Burger" (which was excellent) and a hearty breakfast menu. As elsewhere on the property, the cafe was "squeaky-clean" and the wait-staff were particularly friendly and attentive. So were the front desk workers and the housekeeping staff. In fact, I'm certain that it is the quality of the management and staff of the hotel that virtually guarantees that each patron will enjoy a spectacular visit to the Tahitian Inn.
Perhaps I've saved the best news for last: The hotel's affordability. I needed to be in Tampa for a few days and found that staying at the Tahitian Inn was 20-30% cheaper than staying at the nearby Sheraton and Hyatt hotels. At these rates, it was like staying three nights and getting the fourth night free (so I stayed an extra night)! I'll tell you this, the big national chains could certainly learn a thing or two from Joe and his staff; if any of their presidents or CEOs should happen upon this review I strongly encourage them to come and experience the Tahitian Inn for themselves, then they will know how a hotel should be run.
As for the rest of us, I heartily endorse the Tahitian Inn and hope that you will have the opportunity to enjoy this "one of a kind" experience for yourself! I'm looking forward to my next overnight visit in two weeks (I passed on a chance to stay at the St. Petersburg Hilton to stay at the Tahitian Inn instead). Next time I plan to take advantage of the hotel's fitness center and the Serenity Spa, also on the premises.
The Tahitian Inn is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Tampa on Dale Mabry Highway, just south of exit 41a on Interstate 275.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The warm, breezy small-town urban feel of Tampa is brought to life at Tahitian Inn Hotel and Spa. Its boutique design and resort-style amenities offer leisure and business travelers alike an ideal Florida getaway located just minutes from International Mall and Westshore Mall, Tampa International Airport, Port of Tampa cruise terminals, downtown, Raymond James Stadium, and beautiful Bayshore Boulevard. Each of our 79 recently renovated rooms and suites is designed with the discerning traveler in mind. Plush white bedding, plantation shutters, soothing color schemes and dark wood furnishings evoke island life, while enhanced amenities and technology offer guests the convenience and unparalleled comfort they expect from a upscale boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe Tampa
- Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe And Spa
- Tahitian Hotel Tampa
- Tahitian Inn Spa