“Never Again!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 South Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33609   |
Ranked #90 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
“Never Again!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2005

I will NEVER stay at the Tahitian Inn (Dale Mabry) again! I got there early and asked about early check-in. They said "No earlier than 3:00pm!" I thought "Ok, that is fair", so I drove around Tampa for a few hours. I came back at 3pm and they gave me this song and dance about being short staffed and my room wasn't ready. I would have to wait another 45 minutes. They told me I could wait in the lounge. Do you think they even offered to buy me a drink while I waited??? NO!!
When my room was ready, I was not impressed. The furniture was tacky prefab stuff that was actually peeling and in disrepair. The staff there was less than cheerful. In fact, "grumpy" would be a better way to describe the atmosphere.
There are many hotels in that area. Choose another one. Tahitian Inn isn't worth the money.

Stayed November 2005
rduring, Manager at Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
We welcome the comments on your stay, it has assisted us on improving our hotel. Since you have stayed here, we are now consistently fully staffed and trained in guest services. The front desk staff now allows guests to check in as early as possible if the room is ready. The furniture has been updated in all of the rooms to a "Tommy Bahama" style and well as updated linens.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

Stayed there for one night and will never go back again. The pictures which are on the home page do not reflect the truth. The room has nothing to be, the swiming pool is not in the middle of an oasis but in the middle of a car park. The room was dirty and the furniture was awful and damaged.It is not a first class boutique hotel as it says on the web site . I paid USD90.00 for a night, the local motel at USD30.00 would have been a far better option. The new receptionist (Trainee) was actualy very nice.

• Stayed October 2005
rduring, Manager at Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
We welcome the comments on your stay, it has assisted us on improving our hotel. Since you have been here the furniture has been replaced and the decor is south pacific. You are correct about the pool, it does have parking on two sides, however, we have surrounded the pool area with tropical vegetation and trees.
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2005

We're Tampa locals and this is the second time we stay at the Tahitian.
Both times have been great. We just love to stay there for special occasions, as the rooms have a very unique caribbean feel to them and are great!
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND though that we've ALWAYS stayed at the newer remodeled part. I know that the original part of the inn (and older) has rooms that are not all that great (can't really say because never stayed in them) but from what I've heard is that they're your average motel rooms.
So when you book your room, MAKE SURE you ask to stay in the new wing (front part) of the hotel.
Rooms are beautifully decorated, brand new, and they all have mini dridges, sinks and microwaves. They have wooden shutterns, wooden new furniture, TV/DVD/VCR combos. Beautifully tiled bathrooms, most with oversized tubs & jacuzzis and many with balconies. Very romantic.
I love the hotel because of its uniqueness.

• Stayed October 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

Stayed there for 2 nights. The pool was lovely. The rooms were nice. It's basically an old motel that's been re-vamped. The restaurant was obviously good since there were so many people there (but we never ate there). My only complaint really is the terrible TV channels. I guess they didn't have cable?
It's a tad bit pricy for what you get but still good if you aren't too picky. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do in that area. Oh yes, some of the rooms had bigger bathrooms than others.

• Stayed September 2005
We welcome the comments on your stay, it has assisted us on improving our hotel. Since you have been here regular cable television has been installed and guests have access to 35 channels.
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2005

Sorry if I can not concur with some of the rave reviews, but I booked this because of the great things said about this place yet it wasn't what I expected. The first room we were given had mattresses that were hard as a rock, pillows that were, well, like sheets folded up, and okay, we can live with that but the bathroom! Infested with flying ants! And our room did not have a DVD player as indicated, it could...for a fee. The rooms aren't retro..they are just plain outdated and old, nothing "retro" about that. We were there for the convinience to Tampa General Hospital, but after the first night I did not want to go back. Come to find the the beautiful rooms are all in the tower, but only contain queen size beds. Again, I'm sorry, but for the price they charge for one night I was very disappointed. The front desk was great. The next day they moved us into a new room and gave us the DVD player at no charge. I think they forgot to actually paint the wall in the bathroom after the primer because you could see the greenboard in there, not to mention the gaping holes around the outlets where the drywall was cut too big. Can't say anything about the food as we only ate at the hospital. My daughter enjoyed the pool for the hour we had the chance and the hammocks they had available. Quite frankly, for the price I would never rebook there unless I went for the remodeled room. Cookie cutter rooms or not, I prefer them without bugs.

• Stayed September 2005
We welcome the comments on your stay, it has assisted us on improving our hotel. Since you have been here the mattresses have been replaced and the furniture in the rooms have been updated.
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2005

I live in CA my Mother in KS; I escorted my mother by coordinating the trip and selecting the Tahitian Inn to find that it met all of my hours of researching online (ideally). I'd been recently diagnosed with Diabetes. My Father had since past away & one of my Brothers was graduating from Aviation School in FL. We were provided with one of the rooms around the parking lot, next to the pool; 2 Queen-sized beds, data port for Laptop with refrigerator & sizeable. I’m picky and willing to upgrade however Mom was pleased so I gave in and found it to be truly magical because of our location. We experience warm days and moderate nights (June). I recall one day a rain took place which created a mist around the pool area and the setting provided another avenue for a swim in their very lovely Tropical Pool setting. At this time we ventured to Tahitian Inn Café - I read that it was special online and I am extremely particular - This Is a Great Restaurant; affordable, willing to match your dietary needs, courteous. We ate there everyday of our stay. Even locals were drawn to it. Don't forget America, this is Florida, so pick your visit time carefully. I as born in Panama City, Florida and found this be a great back to Florida Hotel Stay with my Mother & Brother. Recommended & would do it again, next time the main hotel!!

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa? Share your experiences!