“Great Independent Hotel In Tampa” 4 of 5 stars

Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 South Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33609   |
Ranked #89 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
pdrocean
“Great Independent Hotel In Tampa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have always driven by this hotel and wondered what it was like. On my last business trip I stayed there. The hotel price is great and centrally located in Tampa. Its not the best hotel in the city but has charm. Best feature was the pool very nice and has a pool side bare opening in the evening.
Pros
Large room, Clean, Great pool, airport shuttle and nice work out room
Cons
The rooms were a little loud and the in wall A/C unit could have done a better job
Overall
Good clean price and you can save some money staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Great rooms, great people, great food.... I would go back without hesitation.... Just wish it was a little warmer so we could enjoy the pool area, but Mike was a trooper and kept the party going out by the tiki bar!!

Hubbard, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I desperately needed to get away from a very stressful life at work as well as home. I went on google to find a spot in the US that was at least 65'-70' and one that also had spa services and somewhere that I had never been to. I wanted sun and solitude. Actually; US Airways started the negative ball rolling by sending my bag to DCA and placing me on a non-stop to TPA 4 hours before my bag got there. When I called the Inn to get a shuttle there; the clerk at the front desk argued with me that it wasn't their responsibility to take me to the Inn and then 4 hours later have to take me back to the airport to retrieve my bag. They did eventually take me but I did tell them that they really put a bad taste in my mouth about even staying there and that I perhaps should go elsewhere.
The bedding was wonderful and the room was very tasteful except for ants all over the kitchen counter, on the bathroom floor, and even in my bed !!! I had to store everything like my coffee cup, creamer, spoons, etc. in the fridge to keep the ants off !!! The bathroom floor grout was VERY dirty and I did not go barefoot at all. I took a bath with jets one night and a big gob of someone else's hair blew out of the jets. I heard the people in the rooms adjoining mine do to paper-thin walls. Spa & pedicure just average. Very upsetting when I waited 10 minutes for each because the hotel staff did not bother to tell me that the pedicure would be in room 302 & the massage in room 309 instead of on the 2nd floor which is plastered on posters in the lobby...RIDICULOUS and lousy customer service. Mike from the Tiki Bar was very pleasant even when I told him that using postal property for wet towels would get him a pricey fine. Sue from the cafe was a sweetheart. The clerk at the desk in the evenings & overnight never smiled and was rude and crabby constantly and would just glare at me and make me feel very uncomfortable ( Not Amber; she was sweet) SO, after 3 days; I booked a flight and went to Puerto Rico for the remainder of my time in FL. Not a chance will I ever go back there........

Room Tip: I would choose a different Inn...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

The price is right and the location was where I needed to be. The pool is nice but in the middle of a parking lot. I had breakfast one morning in the restaurant and it was very good as was my server. The front desk staff is extremely helpful and there are many restaurants around the area.
The shower is one of the worst I have had in a hotel in a long time, not a lot of water pressure or flow, and it never got really hot. The rooms are average Nd mine had a mini fridge, microwave, and a coffee maker.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the loud ice machine
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Reston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night when all the hotels in downtown Tampa were fully booked.
To start with the good: The room was nice and spacious and the ladies at the reception nice.
Unfortunately this place is located right next to a very busy street, so it's very noisy.
On top of that we had the extremely loud vending machine right in front of our room (235).
And in addition to that the Internet wouldn't work anywhere in the hotel. - But to be fair: The poor old ladies even offered me their own desk to work on.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

If flight before 9am don't expect to get a shuttle. If you want to enjoy spa make sure it isn't under construction. Bartenders, servers, and spa staff will go above and beyond but if you expert the desk staff to be polite or accommodating look somewhere else. Check a map. Locations listed as "minutes" away will require a vehicle. Locations "miles away" will take a half hour plus to reach without crazy Florida traffic. Rooms will not look like photos. If you like to take bathes bring your own tub stopper. If its "Chef Erins creations" you hope to enjoy make sure she actually works here or isn't on vacation. Again bartenders, servers and spa attending Yuliye will go above and beyond to make your stay great but don't expect that from front desk staff. If you like being belittled and made to feel insignificant then go for it. Maybe 19 years of traveling all over world have given me higher expectations for my $. Maybe managing a restaurant and spa at a four star resort has clouded my judgement. Just read the fine print and bring a car or cab fare. Prices may be economical but nothing else about this place is.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Having stayed at the Tahitian Inn once before a few years ago, I was looking forward to my return visit this past weekend.

Somehow I remember it being a lot nicer.

The positives - TI has a great location, rooms are spacious, beds are comfy and the breakfast is excellent, albeit pricey (40 bucks for breakfast for 3 people!!!). Employees were very nice and helpful.

The negatives:

- our room had ANTS (see the picture).
- the A/C unit was noisy and didn't cool down the room even at 68 degrees.
- we were next to the pool in room 131 (avoid!) so we were treated to pool bar noise until late at night.
- As stated in a previous review, the walls are paper thin - at one point we were startled by what apparently was a jet engine, but after a few seconds we realized it was the guest in the next room taking a shower.
- Our room was also next to the maintenance room, ice machine and vending machine ($2 for a can of Diet Coke btw). More traffic noise, starting at 730 AM.

We were so tired we just put it with the noise and ants and heat... but we only stayed one night.

Sorry to say I'll skip the TI next time I'm in Tampa.

Room Tip: Avoid #131 or any room on the 1st floor close to the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa? Share your experiences!