“Cool place” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   601 South Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33609   |
Ranked #89 of 159 hotels in Tampa
“Cool place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed. Very cool place. Its a older hotel but that is what I liked about. Very nice staff and guests. Pool and tiki bar was awesome!!!!!!! Room was clean. Cool locally owned and operated. We definitely will return when coming back to Tampa..

• Stayed April 2013

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed on March 28th, 2013. That night I put a wake-up call in for 7:30 the next morning because I had a business meeting with my attorney the next morning. The man working the night shift was Felix and he forgot to put my wake-up call in the system. The next day I was late for the meeting and was charged an additional fee by the attorney of $200. The hotel didn't even care. This hotel does not believe in good customer. The eggs benedict were also horrible the next morning after I came back from the meeting. This is a nice hotel, but has to be the worse customer service I have ever encountered in a hotel. If this was a chain hotel like Marriott or Hilton, it would have been take care of. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Green Brook, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

We absolutely love this place! While it is not a 5 star hotel for what it is and the price I think it's better! There are two parts to this hotel. The newer tower where the lobby is and then the motel style rooms in the back where you are outside when you walk out of your room. We stayed in a suite in the older part and had our own private large balcony. I read the other reviews about the thin walls and the noise and this was not an issue for us as our suite was on the end of the wing however when I was sitting out on the balcony enjoying my coffee in the morning I could see how the rolling of the housekeeping cart could be an issue for people in regular rooms. Also it is true that if you walk barefoot on the tile floor your feet will get dirty. That said I'm sure traditional carpeting in most other hotels probabably just serves to mask dirt by getting ground in. The pool area is absolutly awesome. Great music streaming all day and plenty of furniture. There is a small Tiki Bar and Eddy the bartender is just fantastic. You can order anything off the restaurant menu and he will bring it right to you poolside. Every day from 3 to 7pm is happy hour and drinks (while not top shelf) are only $3! On our first day of we ordered lunch poolside. My daughter and I split a burger which was huge and delicious and my husband got a Grouper sandwich was was also very good. We also had breakfast the following morning in the outdoor portion of cafe next to the coy pond which was a lovely setting however it was a bit pricey I thought for breakfast. Our suite was spacious and had two flat screen TV's (I did notice that some of the regular rooms had old style tube TV's tho). OVERALL We absolutley loved this place will certainly be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Geneva, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I booked this for 6 days in March of 2013. The prices were higher than I liked, but lower than many surrounding hotels. Checkin was great, the staff was very friendly! There was a rather surly looking long hair (shoulder length) guy sitting in the office, that got my attention, but I figured he was the owners son or something. Anyhow, the HUGE suprise came when I found out this was not a hotel, it is a MOTEL. The room that I had was nothing more than a second floor hotel room. Tile floors, (gave a cold feeling), standard definition TV (jeesh, not too cheap!) and the worst part, the walls are thinner than paper. If anyone is talking in the next room, you can hear them. Fortunately, my neighbors were very quiet. Ok, that's the bad stuff. Now for the good. After a few days, I began to respect the cleaning staff, they did a excellent job every day. When I mentioned that I didn't have a drinking glass, or 'Do not disturb sign' they took care of that. The shower worked well, but there was the occasional blast of hot, or cold, probably depending on how many people were showering. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. If I called the "hotel operator" someone always answered, and they were very courteous. After a few days I got used to the tile floor, it's probably much cleaner and more sanitary than carpeting! I didn't go into the bar, or the pool, but the pool seemed to be very popular as there were always people (of all ages) sitting around and enjoying themselves.

All in all, it's a 50/50 mix of good and bad. The only things I didn't appreciate were the price, the SD tv, the ridiculously thin walls, and the shock that this was simply a renovated motel. Two other things... the bed was firm, very firm and I loved it. The hotel is well situated in a very convenient (to shopping, airport, highways, etc) location, but there is little ambient noise to disturb from the surrounding environment.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The front desk staff were very helpful in finding a place to eat within walking distance. The shuttle pick up from the airport was very quick after we called them. Also the shuttle to and from the cruise port was very quick and easy. The hotel is old but they are trying to up grade it. They could use some bigger and softer towels and have more than one bar of soap for use in the bathroom. Overall it was a good place for the nights surrounding the cruise.
I would recommend BoneFish and. Jo To Sushi for great dinners. Both are easy to walk to from the hotel
Be sure and ask for a none smoking room as the other ones really smell and there are no real good windows to open to air out the room

• Stayed February 2013
Middleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Breakfast was great - super nice pool area with loads of comfortable chairs and loungers and plenty of shade - bar was fun and bar tender was very friendly. Front desk personnel were all very nice. We would definitely stay there again but would request a ground floor room.

Room Tip: We would definitely stay there again but would request a ground floor room.