“Excellent service!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Excellent service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the Tahitian Inn for two nights this month. I was in town for the Gasparilla Pirate Parade and couldn't afford the hotel downtown where my friends were. Luckily, I found the Tahitian..only a 15 minute cab ride to downtown or Ybor City. I wish I had a chance to use the pool and tiki bar area because it looked so cozy. There was a fire pit at night and music too. The bed was extremely comfortable and I loved that there was a coffee maker, microwave and fridge in the room. Although the property is older (sky blue tile in the bathroom) everything was spotless! The tile floor was great..sometimes hotel carpets are funky. The only issues I had were the room smelled a bit musty upon check-in but that was easily fixed by turning the a/c down a few degrees and the shower never really got past lukewarm. The hotel was totally full all weekend due to Gasparilla and cruise passengers so maybe the water heaters couldn't keep up with the demand for hot water! There was a bit of noise, as the doors aren't soundproof, so if you are looking to sleep til noon in a silent bubble..you won't find that here! The front desk staff was really awesome and helpful..they called cabs for me and made check-in so easy (I had a complicated reservation because one night was booked through a travel site in a different name and the other night was done on the phone with my name). I didn't get a chance to use the spa but a local friend said he had a massage there once and it was great. Overall, I really liked my stay at the Tahitian because it was so clean, easy to get to the highway/downtown Tampa, staff was awesome, free parking and a comfy bed all at a great price. There is also a shuttle for the airport and cruiseport if that's what you need. I'll definitely stay here again, especially if I come to see a concert at Raymond James Stadium which is just down the block.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

284 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here on business last week and cannot express enough how hospitable they were, how classy AND clean the rooms were and beautiful the landscaping was! We ate in the restaurant both nights and our Boston native server was the greatest (sorry I forgot her name but I guarantee you'll spot her easy with that accent :) Joe, the owner even sat down one night & joined us for drinks on the patio. What a great host! Being a small business owner myself I could tell he was passionate about his business & truly cared about his guests, which seems to be a rare thing these days among the common landscape of stale humanless corporate chains. I would not only stay here again next time I'm in Tampa but even if I were within reasonable distance I would even make the hike to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over New Year's Eve and the Outback Bowl. The outside of the hotel was very nice and the lobby was well decorated. Staff were friendly and great during check-in. They called us a cab and recommended several places to celebrate NYE.

Getting to the room, it smelled musty, but the room was immaculate and looked very clean. My fiancée and I each took a shower before hitting the town. Mine was hot, his wasn't. The water pressure sucked but maintenance came over and "fixed it" for us. We went out, came back, and were woken up at 8:30 a.m. the next morning due to the EXTREMELY POOR SOUNDPROOFING between our room and the courtyard. Staff were cleaning rooms or performing regular housekeeping/maintenance duties however I woke alarmed that all of this was occurring in my room! It was a few rooms down, near the ice machine but I heard an entire conversation amongst staff as if they were sitting next to my bed. Now, it wasn't too early but after NYE and being on vacation, I hadn't expected to wake up quite that early.

After the Outback Bowl, we came back exhausted. Both my shower and my fiancée's showers were lukewarm at best. The shower pressure was okay. Waking up our final morning, I jumped in the shower. The shower pressure was non-existent. I took a lukewarm shower so that maybe for once my fiancée could have a hot shower, but I guess other tenants were showering as well. My shower went from lukewarm to trickling cold after the first 3 minutes. I couldn't even wash all the shampoo out of my hair. My fiancée waited 20 minutes and then had a lukewarm shower.

All in all, this was bad. There is no shower fan so if you do manage to have a warm shower, the walls and floor are soaked by condensation. It's gross and made me feel more unclean than prior to my shower. The walls were thin, like every other review. The air conditioner/heater was so loud my fiancée didn't sleep at all the second night of our stay. This was simply terrible.

• Stayed January 2013
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night before our cruise. The airport shuttle and shuttle to the cruise terminal made it a great deal. The hotel backs on to a residential neighborhood so it is nice and quiet. I agree with the other reviewers that the walls are thin and the beds are hard so I wouldn't want to stay for more than just one night. The breakfast in the cafe was good and I had a nice manicure at the spa. The staff was kind and attentive. The front desk staff were excellent as well. They allowed us to stay in our room until 1pm when our shuttle was scheduled to leave for the cruise terminal. Rooms/amenities are very basic. Cracks in tiles hastily filled. No hot tub. No in-room movies. Overall a low budget option with nice staff and complementary shuttles.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St Louis, mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed the night here before our Carnival cruise after a ton of research and wanting to get the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port.

PROS:
Decent rate
Free shuttle from airport
Free shuttle to cruise ports
Nice clean pool
Comfy beds
Very clean rooms
Decent prices in the pool bar (~$5 beers, 10$ burgers)
Very safe feeling area
Within walking distance to Walgreens, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Burger King (next door) and Chick Fil A (also next door)

CONS:
VERY thin walls. I had to call the desk to get them to come shut down the attempted pick up between two guys and two girls outside my room.
Loud Air Conditioner (which is almost a pro cause I had to crank it up to drown out the sounds of the neighbors continuing their hook up indoors) (No particularly...embarassing...sounds. Just talking, laughing, some swearing etc.)

I had read in other reviews about the thin walls and decided we could deal with it. Those thin walls are no joke. Actually, i think the majority of the problem was that there was no carpeting. The floors were all a (nice) tile which left nothing to muffle any sounds. The benefit to that was that I felt like it was a very clean room. Carpets in hotels scare me and these floors were nice. They were cool though so sleep in socks or bring slippers.

The shuttle to the hotel from the airport was decent. It took them a little longer then expected to come get us Probably 30 minutes or so. But the van had strong air conditioning. To get from the hotel to the port, you had to reserve a time. It was every hour on the hour and even though we got to the hotel before check in time, almost every time was already booked. We only had two available options that would get us there on time and on the one we chose, we were the last three seats. So make it a priority to schedule that transfer asap. I asked what would happen if they were all full, and they told me there were taxi's available. I think if they advertise the free shuttle, then they should provide the free shuttle. Especially since the port was about 20 minutes away and could easily have been changed to more frequently if they needed to. But I got on a shuttle that was okay so I didn't push it.

The staff was great. It is a family owned hotel and it was easy to spot who enjoyed their work and who didn't. The ones who enjoyed it FAR outweighed the ones who didn't particularly care and I think that's rare in the hotel industry. The two girls at the front counter on 12/16 were wonderful and if I could remember their name I would specifically write to the hotel to let them know. They know who they are :).

Would I reccommend this hotel to others? Absolutely.
Would I stay here again? Gladly

(I didn't use the spa. I saw the prices and can't remember them but I remember they were just average. Nothing shocking, nothing that stood out as a great deal.)
(After we ate dinner and were settling in to the room, we got a flyer slipped in the door for an Italian restaurant that delivered for free with no minimum. The menu looked wonderful and if we hadn't already eaten we would've tried them. If you find out what they were, give them a shot. Prices and menu looked good.)

Room Tip: We were on the second floor above the pool but didn't hear any pool or bar noise. Just the neig...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We spent a week at the hotel during Thanksgiving holiday. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very nice. We did not eat at the hotel for Thanksgiving but spoke to many people that did and all said the meal was excellent. If we go back next year we will definately take adavantage of the take out for the price and not worry about cooking Thanksgiving. We spent every afternoon at the pool, very quite and relaxing. Wednesday night was Karokee night at the bar and it was very busy even though it was the night before the holiday. Our son from college joined us and took advantage of the free WiFi to get homework done while there and we used it to stay connected to our business. The rooms are very spacious but next time we will upgrade to one of the suites. The price was very reasonable. Take advantage of the hotel shuttle for transportation to the airport. It is very convinent for shopping.

Room Tip: If traveling with a family book the suite for added room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

At first appearance our rooms were very nice. They looked like they had been renovated recently. But upon closer inspection the rooms were very dirty. There was dirt and dust on the baseboards, trim, etc. After a few hours our white socks were filthy from the dirty tile floors. One of our rooms smelled like dog urine.

We ate dinner at the restaurant there and the service was terrible, it took forever for our orders to be taken and the food to arrive, and they didn't appear to be all that busy. They also didn't have enough change so they shorted us.

I would not stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa? Share your experiences!