“overstayed our stay!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Oceanside, California
“overstayed our stay!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was one of those places where it was so bad that we gave up complaining and just had to stick it out and it was hard. This place could be ok, if management ran it properly. We stayed here 6 nights and would have left it it wasn't spring break and we paid in advance etc.
Our first room was disgusting not at all like the pictures and the maids seem to work all night long or very very early in the morning. The air conditioning is so loud and our rooms floor was so filthy my feet turned black in minutes....I got the spare blanket down to put on the floor and it was also filthy.....so disgusting! The second room was better but we had to pay more, but there were still issues. The air conditioning turned on every 10 or so minutes and it was so loud you could not sleep. The sheets on the bed were so thin and worn out they felt icky. The bed was so loud and worn out that you could not move without it sounding like wood breaking. The walls were so thin and you could here EVERYTHING going on in the room next to you. I think this place is used by the locals as a quick getaway if you know what I mean. The hallway to out room smelled like urine.
They have a really nice pool but there is not room for the people to enjoy it. We had two families there while we tried to use to pool and they took up every chair. Also they do not have a bathroom near the pool which to me is not sanitary.....I would not go in that water.
I feel management should take care of a lot of issues and I also think that most of the better reviews are people only staying one night.
The good things were the friendly service in the restaurant...when it was open. They turn it into a fancy dinner house with a limited menu at night, but the food is good.
Location is probably the best for near airport and cruise terminal.

Room Tip: could not recommend any of the rooms...we stayed one night in the lower and 5 nights in the tower.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This hotel is not at all what they advertise it to be. I completely agree with some of the other reviews, it's a run down budget motel, not anything close to what they are advertising to be and certainly not worth what they are charging to stay.

First of all, when we checked in, we got a room with one bed rather than the two that we had reserved. We were told we couldn't be accommodated when we inquired about getting a room with two beds because they were 90% booked. They provided a roll out 'at no extra charge' but it was very poor quality, you could feel the springs coming throughout the mattress. Needless to say, our son bunked in with us for the night. When I walked around later in the evening, there were many rooms vacant and you could see in the windows that there were rooms with two beds.

The floor in our room was filthy, my son's feet were black in no time. All I could think of was bed bugs after that. And when I went to use the hair dryer in the morning, it didn't work. The staff were non responsive when I spoke to them about it. They didn't offer me another one and just stared blankly and said all they could do was pass along my complaint. It wasn't customer friendly, which was disappointing, especially considering they are advertising themselves as a spa-type of a hotel.

Bottom line is this place is a diump and I would never, ever return.

Room Tip: Just don't go.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I got to my room after 11pm, only to find there was no soap of any kind in the bathroom. I called front desk and they said I could come get it. Since my room was as far from the front desk as possible and I was already in pajamas I decided against it and used my face soap.

The rooms are connected to other rooms with a pass-through, which apparently aren't even close to sound-proofed. It sounded like my next-door neighbors were in the room with me- snoring, intimate sounds, TV, shower, you name it, I heard it. Something woke me up every night, often multiple times a night.

Finally, I assumed when the website said they offered an airport shuttle they meant it. Apparently it doesn't start running until 9am, so if your flight is before that you're out of luck.

Other than that, the room is very clean.

Room Tip: If possible, find out if there is a room without a pass-through door, it might be quieter. Also, bo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ocean View, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This is no boutique hotel. Rooms are dated and resemble a budget hotel. The maids pushed housekeeping carts around on the stone sidewalks all day and it sounds like a freight train-forget any chance of an afternoon nap.
I was put in room 135 and stayed here while a lacrosse team was staying the hotel over college spring break. I was traveling on business and put right in between rooms of lacrosse players. Approx 9 pm I returned to my room after some shopping and dinner and saw 10 players and several cases of beer head in to the room next to me. I should mention that my room has a door between it and the "party" room as an adjoining suite.
I went to the front desk to be moved because it was pretty obvious what was going to happen that night.
The front desk staff was rude, they were argumentative, and they were unwilling to move me. They smirked and smiled while I talked and told me that I was being “presumptuous”. They said they were sold out and could not move me because there was no one to clean my room. I repeatedly asked my recourse if they were loud and I was unable to sleep and I was told nothing could be done I could just call the front desk or the police. I asked to speak to a manager and was given a business card and told she come in the next morning. I became angry and said this was unacceptable and would like to leave the hotel and they refused to cancel my reservation that I missed the 24 hours window to cancel. Felix in particular who worked at the front desk was a joke. He had no desire whatsoever to help me or even empathize with me. He should be not be in hospitality I don’t think he even knows what the word means. Shortly after a manager appeared (who had been there all along) and the scenario repeated itself with the same result.
I spent the night listening to doors slam, kids laughing, drinking, and hanging out at the pool until 2 am when the pool rules are that they are open till 10.
You can hear every noise outside in this place- the walls are paper thin. The staff is rude and apparently “spring break” at this hotel is code for you can do whatever you want and we don’t care about other other guests. It’s a free pass.
I should also mention that the internet stinks. They have 9 different routers onsite to connect to and every one of them had one or two bars at best.
The hotel only has standard cable and the TV’s are the old clunky style sets.
The bathtub was stained dirty rust brown.
I have never, nor will I ever stay in a hotel that has this poor customer service again. This place is billed as a resort spa getaway and instead it is more like a cheap budget hotel. The rooms were worth $35 per night and the customer service here did not exist. I will never be back.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Recently stayed at the Tahitian for 2 nights prior to our cruise departing from Tampa. Upon check in we were given 2 very nice rooms one floor above the front desk. One room was great while the TV in the second room did not work. The front desk was called and we had a new tv within 10 mins. Food was ok and the Pool area was avg. The drink prices at the pool bar were a bit higher than I was expecting to pay therefore we only had one drink at the bar and returned to our rooms.

We took advantage of this hotel because of the cruise package with the shuttle service and parking option available to us.

Concerns I found were they have a lot of guests that use this hotel for the same reason and only have 1 van for a shuttle. This fills up very quickly and you are left waiting. We wanted to leave for the ship at 11am and were forced to wait until the 12pm shuttle which was also late.

When we returned we were told to call the hotel and they would arrange pick up for us. Well we had priorty disembarkation and were some of the first off the ship. We proceeded to the shuttle area and called the front desk at the hotel. We were told that the shuttle was on it's way back the the ship but was already full. It was also full on it's next run and it was going to be over 1 hour before it would get to us. So here we are 4 of us standing in the middle of the shuttle area being told we have to wait over 1 hour to be picked up. I was upset hung up the phone and paid $20 for a cab to take us back to the hotel to get our vehicle and left. I didn't even return to the front desk and waste my time voicing my concerns.

Room Tip: not worth the money for the cruise package. Better to stay else where and pay for a cab then to sit...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Dirty, grunge, terrible service, 3:00 pm and the bed isn't even made yet! (update, after the afternoon nap that was disturbed by power washing the decks, I'm told that the beds can't be changed no housekeeping services at night) Already cut the stay short by 2 days to get out of here. No resturant last night. Group of Lacross players took over the pool area, if you could call it a pool, more like a kettle. I've just come up from the cafe and the service was so bad, and the waiter (Shawn) so rude, that for the first time in my life, I gave no tip. I thought there was something on the mattress, maybe flowers, but evenly spaced, they must be coils if my only guess....I could go on. All of the bad reviews are deserving...why did I not see them before I prepaid this dump.

Room Tip: Parking lot views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I had a business trip to Tampa again.I try to stay at the Tahitian when I visit.They were booked solid due to spring break ect..I waited until the 3pm check inn on a saturday to look for a cancelation.I was in luck 1 room but a smoking room. # 119. I took a chance on it,I always book the main building because its updated and less noisey then the back area.The room did smell of smoke but it was a smoking room,I bought air freshner and tolerated it.The purpose of my review is a cleaning staff member at 6:30 am on Sunday morning was pushing the towel carts like frieght trains in front of the rooms,woke alot of people up,not sure why? But book the main building.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Tahitian Inn Hotel Cafe & Spa? Share your experiences!