“Good for an overnight stay before a cruise” 5 of 5 stars

Cruise Transportation
Ranked #5 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arizona
“Good for an overnight stay before a cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed here one night before our cruise leaving out of Tampa. It was a last minute rush; the Swine Flu cancelled our Mexican Riviera cruise and one week before cruising we had to change EVERYTHING, including hotels. We booked here because we found a good deal; $89 for a Saturday night including taxes. It ended up being a nicer hotel than we needed; no complaints though!

Our flight got in late Saturday night and we called the hotel for the complimentary shuttle to pick us. The wait was about 10 minutes for the shuttle after we called. We had a nice driver and he suggested a place to eat that was open late. So after he dropped us off at the hotel we put our bags in our room and headed out to a bar/restaurant called Champions- only a short shuttle ride away. The shuttle will take you anywhere for free (plus tip) around a five mile radius. It even runs late into the night. The following morning we had the hotel get us a taxi to drop us off at the pier.

We used the free business center to print out one extra luggage tag for the cruise. Our room had a view of some empty lot. We felt safe at the hotel. They have a restaurant and another area full of frozen dinners, ice cream, and other food items so you won’t go hungry.

I would recommend this hotel for travelers that are looking for a place to snooze before a cruise! I would stay here again if cruising but other than that I’m not sure there was anything I would like to return to this area for. Last time we stayed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tampa (you can read my review from 2007) and we had more fun being downtown with all the shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Bethany Beach, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of Hilton Garden Inns but this one did not measure up. Much of it has been said in other reviews here. The location is hard to find. We asked after our gps couldn't find it and we still couldn't find it. I guess it is very new and not known to everyone. The parking was not very convenient with only a few spots next to the hotel and the others were in the garage across the street. The pool was very small and crowded when we visited. My biggest complaint is about the service though. Whenever I needed assistance, no one was around to help me. I went to the front desk twice and found it empty. When we went to breakfast, the buffet was all set out but no one was in sight. It wasn't until we had finished our meal that someone popped their head out of the kitchen and wished us a nice day. The rooms were nice enough and the food was average. This is very close to the airport so if you can find it and just need a place to sleep when arriving or departing, it would be fine. But for a longer stay you can probably do better.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
mhmecomm, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
Dear Deb_travelier,

Thank you for visiting our Hilton Garden Inn and for providing valuable
feedback and comments.

We are glad that you found our rooms nice and we agree that our location
is ideal for the Tampa Airport area.

We are very sorry that you had issues finding our hotel with your GPS, this
should soon be resolved as we are located on a new road and it has been
submitted to GPS mapping companies. Feel free to utilize the corner of
Spruce St and O’Brien St as inputs for your next visit.

The lack of service that you experienced at our hotel is very unlike our
staff and not up to the high standards that we set at Hilton Garden Inn. I
have shared your comments with our service staff and have made
changes to ensure your experience will be much better next time.

I personally invite you to give us another try next time you are in Tampa.

Stormy McNeil
Stormy.mcneil@hilton.com
Solano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I am currently still staying here as I am typing this review. I have been here a week and have three more days. Intitially I was very impressed. I am from California and in the military. Having been TDY numerous times I know Hilton Garden very well. So I am figuring I am almost at home (so to speak)!!!

Well not know that there is not any room service on the weekend (do not even recall reading it any of the literature in the room)....I called and the exact conversation went such as...I would like to order breakfast....the reply was "we don't have room service on the weekends" and I said "oh, I didnt know that" , then he said sorry and have a good day and hung up the phone..my complaint was that his tone was somewhat gruff and he did not really let me hang up first. I felt like he hung up in my face. I called the front desk and Nancy (who was very apologetic) said that no one should have even answered the phone. It should have went to a voicemail. She then said to stop by the front desk. Well sadly on my part I did not stop on my way to eat because I was still pissed and very hungry. So after I ate I then stopped by and she kind of scolded me (in a humours way)...because she had a complimentary breakfast for me. LOL

Oh well, $12 wasnt to bad to pay for an all you can eat breakfast and the food was good. I still think that breakfast at the HIlton should be complimentary.

Okay now it gets really worse!!! Sunday morning about 8:30 I am awaken by this very very loud noise. I can hear like it is on the opposite side of my headboard.
For the life of me I do not understand why a hotel would have roof construction going on early in the morning and on a weekend!!! Totally unacceptable to my standards of a hotel. It could have been more tolerable had the front desk sent out a message of some sort before hand. When I called the front desk Jennifer did not appear to be concern about my discomfort as well.

The parking sucks!!! I think they have way too many handicap parking spaces. The parking on both sides is extremely limited and when ful I have seen at least 5-6 empty handicap spaces. Yes they have the parking garage directly accross the street. But it was not convient for me.

I would recommend this hotel inspite of my issues.
The location close to everything. They just need to do some guest service improvements.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

It's a brand new hotel and in general the hotel was very nice. Good location, close to the mall, baseball stadiums, and tons of good restauraunts. The people were also very friendly. The area is secure and away from traffic, very quiet place despite airplanes flying by which wasn't often enough to bother us anyway. The only complaints I had were that the breakfast wasn't free (buffet at $12 per person!) and the beds. The beds were new but back breaking! We didn't sleep for 3 nights in a row because they were so hard! It wasn't until my husband couldn't take it anymore that he went to complain to the front desk and they told us the firmness of the bed was adjustable! The button was hidden in the side of the bed. How the heck are we supposed to know the bed is adjustable? Anyways, it did not improve the quality of the bed THAT much, but at least I did not wake up with that much pain in the morning. Overall rating: B+ just because they didn't give us a heads up on the beds haha. We were there 5 nights, I don't know how we made it through, but we did haha. I'm sure for a one night or two night stay it won't be too bad, but to sleep there 5 whole nights was killer. Next time I'll probably stay at homewood suites across the street, which was also brand new and has free breakfast. Go figure!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We had a flight leaving from Tampa to Barcelona. We arrived the night before for the early flight the next morning.

We used mapquest directions, but somehow managed to get very, very lost. We called the hotel and a very helpful front desk agent was our human GPS until we arrived. He took us through every U-turn, left turn, right turn, "I'm passing by ___", etc. He was great.

When we arrived at the hotel, he gave us some complimentary water and pointed us to our room.

When we opened the door, we were very impressed. The rooms were clean, elegantly decorated, and comfortable. The shower had great pressure.

Because this was near the airport, there weren't really any choices on where to eat. We called the front desk and they arranged for the shuttle to take us around. The shuttle took us to a local restaurant and even waited for us.

We had a great night's sleep. The shuttle in the morning took us to the airport very quickly and we had no problems.

This hotel is great and a great value price-wise.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We travel quite a lot through out any given year and prefer the Hilton family of hotels, well unfortunately this experience was not one to remember. We arrived late at night around midnight hotel time. The bar was closing so we could not get food, not a big deal we figured we would hit the vending machine and just get a snack for the night. I went to the front desk to break a $5.00 bill and was told that they have no cash after midnight, again I understand that they should not have a ton of cash at the front desk at night but no change at all? Has this never happened before?? So again I figured no big deal we will just go and order room service, when I called the room service number the front desk answered and transfered me, I let the phone ring for a long time - 30 to 40 rings then just gave up. We ended up leaving the hotel and getting some fast food.

As for the hotel itself it is what you would expect from a Hilton, check in was a breeze, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the bed was comfortable.

I know the small issues we had was not normal but I expect more from the Hilton.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Anglesey North Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

Stayed at this hotel in December for two nights. Very pleased with accomodation. Booked a suite as I'd read from other reviews that the basic rooms were quite small. The room was clean and very comfortable. It also included a microwave and a large fridge. Only downside was the noisy aircon, which i turned off at night and just left on in daytime.

I chose this hotel for it's close proximity to the International Airport as, my flight was fairly late and the hotel was only about 10 mins from airport and a shuttle was included. Called hotel on my arrival and they were with me within 15 minutes.

Hotel staff were very friendly. I was staying here for two nights before joining my husband on a Cruise ship, and wanted to visit the Malls, closeby. The hotel provided a complementary shuttle to both International and Westshore Malls, and just told me to call them when I was ready to return.

My one mistake was not to include breakfast in my booking, as it would have worked out cheaper. I would recommend this if staying here. I just paid seperately and thought for $12.95 it was excellent value, for this type of hotel.

I would recommend this hotel highly. As a women travelling alone, I felt safe and would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and close to airport and shops
  • Disliked — Noisy air condioning in room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore? Share your experiences!