“Friendly Staff that tries hard to please” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Cruise Transportation
Ranked #5 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Friendly Staff that tries hard to please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived after 4 pm and were warmly greeted by several people at the desk. Both Hilton Gardens where I have stayed have had the friendliest front desk teams of any Hilton property. I had called the night prior to our arrival and asked if we would receive a room upgrade as I was not happy with the choices offered for on line check-in. I really don’t like the Hilton web site. It is not very user friendly and needs a lot of work, but that’s not the hotel’s fault. The nice lady found us a king suite on the top floor. She went above and beyond, but not sure of her name. (She was working Thursday evening around 9 pm on 24 January 2013.) Todd, the manager, checked us in. He was very busy and assumed that one of the ladies had prepared our keys, but when we arrived at the room that was written on our welcome card, neither key worked. (I don’t know if one would have worked in the room we were supposed to be assigned-see the next line) I returned to the front desk and was told that we were actually in Room 724 and not 728. They apologized and offered 2 bottles of water. When I got back to the 7th floor, only one of the keys worked in Room 724. I returned again and was given a card for 2 drinks this time. Todd told me not to come back down but to call if there were any more problems, and they would come and take care of any issues. The second card worked this time. The first room had a sofa, a chair, a coffee table, and a table in the corner with a lamp. There also was a desk with another lamp and a work chair plus a 3 drawer dresser with a tv on top. The room had a ceiling light with fan, but we didn’t use the fan. There was a small hallway to the bedroom. There was a large piece of furniture which had a microwave on the top shelf and a small fridge in the lower section. On the shelf above the fridge was a place for the coffee pot with supplies and glasses plus the ice bucket. The ice machine was just steps down the hall near the elevators. Just past the microwave and fridge area was a closet. There was a good sized safe in the closet which made leaving my computer in the room worry free. There was also a fold up luggage rack plus extra linens for the sofa bed. On the left was the bathroom with sink, toilet, and tub. There were ample soft towels, including large body size ones. There was also a hair dryer, Kleenex, and more glasses. The tub was not too deep. Unlike the Hilton Garden near the Orlando Airport where I stayed about a month earlier, there were no jet sprays in the tub, but it still was good for a relaxing bath. Several amenities were provided. Past the small corridor was the main bedroom. This room had a king sized bed with bed side tables on each side. There was another 3 drawer dresser with another tv on top and another chair. The window in the bedroom looked out on the area between the Hilton Garden and the Homewood Suites. Another issue was the outlets in the lamps. It is always nice to have ample outlets, but the ones in the two bedside table lamps did not work. I needed an extra outlet so I moved the one from the living room desk to the bedroom. Its outlet worked fine. I let the front desk know so that housekeeping would not move them back. Everything else seemed to work correctly.
Because of our Gold Status, we received free breakfast each morning. It was good with made to order eggs plus a buffet which included bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, potatoes and more. There were 3 types of juices plus fruit and bread. Coffee and hot tea were also offered. I’m not sure it was worth the $11.95 price per person, if you didn’t receive it complimentary. The ladies at breakfast were very attentive the first day but adequate the second day even though we were the only for the first 15 minutes. The first night we went down to the bar for our free drinks thanks to Todd. I had a Stella Artois beer, and my other half had a glass of wine. The bar area was popular, and everybody seemed to be having a good time! There were two elevators, and sometimes they were very slow. The hotel was clean, and staff was always available to help.. There was a work out room which several pieces of equipment, but I didn’t use unfortunately. Maid service was good, and all amenities were restocked. When we left the first morning, the maid was nearby and said hello. The hotel was also quiet on the our floor most of the time. Late Saturday night, there was noise next door for a few minutes around 1 am. There were a few rooms on the 1st floor near the back exit. I would not stay in one of those and would request another, if possible, if you are put there. We parked outside as I don’t like the garage, which is used by at least two hotels plus there are many cars of people who parked and flew. Everything seemed safe in and around the hotel but not sure about parking garage. Another issue: when I called on Thursday night prior to our arrival, I asked if the hotel was totally smoke free since I was given choices for smoking rooms on the on-line check in page and was told that they have 2 smoking rooms on the 2nd floor-Really in 2013, all hotels, restaurants, and any building should be smoke free. I thought I smelled smoke in the elevator one time, but it could have just been the after effect of an ashtray smelling smoker committing slow suicide!
In summary, I am giving the Hilton Garden Tampa Airport a 4. I gave the one in Orlando a 5 because there were no issues, and everything went smoothly plus we were offered even more goodies, including water at check-in and a free appetizer or drink each when we went down for dinner, because of our status and not because of other issues. It may have just been a busy day and they did eventually get everything right, but it was a bit inconvenient. They wanted everything to be right so I give them credit for caring and with the aim to make everything perfect! It has the potential to be a 5. I would consider staying here again but would never stay at the Homewood Suites next door (see my November 2012 review). If the price is the same or close (and definitely if you have Hilton Gold or Diamond status), then stay at the Hilton Garden. I prefer a location closer to downtown, but for the price and the newness (and the free parking which the two downtown properties plus the Embassy Suites-Westshore don’t have), this is a great choice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Todd K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear DisneyParis,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your details about your experience of your visit to our hotel. This is very helpful to travelers who may be considering our property. I enjoyed meeting you, and I am sorry about the mishap with the keys! I will be sure to share your comments with our team, as they value our guest feedback. I hope you enjoyed your time at the Gasparilla event and of course we welcome you back should you return to Tampa.

592 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Very good service!!!The hotel is conveniently located near the TIA, and I appreciate the on time complimentary shuttles to and from the TIA and the nearby Westshore and Int'i Malls. By the way, most of the shuttle drivers are very friendly. The buffet breakfast is excellent and very tasty; ask for Nancy, she is one of the friendliest and helpful person I know.There is also free car parking. However, I am sorry that the convenient Advantage car rental that was just across from the hotel has relocated. Especially because of it convenience, I recommend this hotel for your next stay in Tampa.
Enjoy!!!

Dear Marsha,
Thank you for sharing your review with other travelers about your experience at our hotel. We are glad that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We will be sure to share your comments with our team. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and amenities that we have to offer. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review, and we hope you return should your travels bring you back to Tampa.

Winston Salem, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

on january 19, 2013, 15 usairways sales management retirees attended a surprise party for our former sales director at this hotel. it was one of the few functions that i have coordinated where the end result far exceeded expectations. everything that was promised was delivered. the food was of a high standard but, more importantly, the attention to detail of the dining room staff could not have been better and the bar area lent itself to ensuring that the event got off to a great start. the front desk staff was friendly and efficient, the rooms were large and clean, and the complimentary shuttle between hotel and airport ran on-time, even at 5:30am.
the total time that the attendees spent in travel management would no doubt approach 400 years and all of them enjoyed a great stay. i would recommend this hilton garden inn as a clean and comfortable hotel to stay at and as a great place to schedule a function at.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Todd K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Marilyn,
Thank you very much for the rave review. We are thrilled to hear that your banquet function, food and service exceeded your expectations. Our staff will enjoy reading your comments about your event. We are very proud or our Food & Beverage team, as they do a great job and take much pride in ensuring our guest have a wonderful experience. We certainly hope you can plan another event with us in the future. Should you need anything in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport
(813)289-2700
Seale, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We used this place for the first time for a cruise out of Tampa. The sail away package was awesome, it included free parking during the cruise, transportation to and from terminal and complementary breakfast (and an awesome breakfast). I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vicki,
On behalf of the entire HGI Tampa Airport team, thank you taking the time to post your favorable review about our hotel. I certainly hope you and your family enjoyed your cruise. We are very pleased to hear that our hotel, staff and breakfast exceeded your expectations. We look forward to delivering a great product to you again should you return to Tampa.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We attended a business seminar over the weekend and the room and meeting facilities were excellent, especially compared to the last seminar we attended in downtown St Louis.
What made us realize how customer oriented the staff was, was when my wife had a medical emergency during our seminar and the staff jumped into action. They followed up with us all the way to the hospital and everyone welcomed us back when my wife returned the next day. Tremondous customer service. Our experience was the entire staff was extremely polite, courteous and well trained, even before our medical emergency. We highly recommend this hotel all around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Todd K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Edward C:

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for the wonderful comments about your experience here at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport. First of all, after speaking with your wife, we were glad to hear she is doing fine. Our staff was very concerned about her, and they will be thrilled to know their compassion was much appreciated by you and your wife.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and we certainly hope to see you again here in Sunny Florida!

Sincerely
Acworth, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Rooms, lobby, restaurant and bar are very nice. Staff went out of there way answering my questions for spec diet requirements. Entire facility and room where very clean and comfortable. Parking is in a deck across the street. Access to Tampa airport is very close. Great access to food and shopping.

Dear Michael M;

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport on your recent visit to Tampa. I would like to thank you for your specific comments about our staff and quality of our hotel. Postings such as yours, motivates our team to do the things they do best – Taking care of our guest! We like to think that our staff is what makes us unique, but as you mentioned in your review, our location in the Tampa Westshore market is very convenient for business or pleasure travel.

We look forward to seeing you here again, should your travels bring you back to Tampa. Again, thank you for the positive remarks.

Sincerely
Farmington, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed for one night on business from Northeast. The hotel was a short 5 minutes drive from the airport with ample free parking. The rooms were very nice with some of the more comfortable (comfort adjustable) beds I've slept on at a hotel. The pool area is outside and was adequate for a refreshing dip after flying all day. The staff were all very pleasant and gave good restaurant recommendations. We went to a Spanish place called Columbia in the Yhabor neighborhood. We took a cab there and it cost us about $25.00. Not cheap. It didn't seem there was anything much to do in the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Todd K, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Johnrd216,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to our hotel. I am glad you found our Garden Sleep System Beds, pool, and staff to your likings. The Columbia Restaurant that you selected in Ybor, is one of Tampa’s finest, and oldest. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team, and of course if your travels bring you back to Tampa, we certainly hope you select our hotel again. Thank you for choosing Hilton Hotels.

Todd Kinney

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore? Share your experiences!