“Mediocre but Expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Florida
“Mediocre but Expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Leisure trip Oct 2011. Newer hotel located near Tampa airport with lots of other hotels literally next door with a shared a parking ramp. The price charged was within $10 of the Homewood Suites which is across the street but that hotel offers 2 room suites with included hot breakfast. Plus there are 2- 3 other branded suite hotels on the same street..

Overall a very mediocre hotel. Comfortable bed - sleep number. Size: big enough for a sofa & desk. But the entry, bathroom, & closet doors were all in a the same small entry area each blocking use of the other. I can't imagine how a family could comfortably stay in one of these rooms. It felt cramped for 2 of us.

Extra charge for breakfast but it was of good quality similar to other Hilton family hotels. Work out area had free headsets and several aerobic machines.

Complimentary internet service in the rooms but it is a bit slow - painful Youtube on this connection. Every session requires a new log on that must begin from a system start.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

601 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I'm a frequent business traveler & am making time today to write my first hotel review. As all of us road warriors know, the people, at the end of the day, make or break the travel experience.

The team at the Hilton Garden Inn Tampa on Westshore are the friendliest & most professional group I've ever met. They make you feel welcome right when you arrive...no sterile hotel greetings here. Whether it's Nancy, the server in the restaurant or Glaiza preparing a fantastic Starbucks coffee, or even the GM Jeff who is continuously walking the property to ensure guest satisfaction, I'm privileged to say they have all become my extended family.

For those of us who have had the opportunity to stay at the 5-star resorts & felt a bit under-whelmed, I would recommend those fancy hoteliers stop by the Hilton Garden Inn & learn how to truly deliver a great guest experience.

i think you'll find this is a great hotel that will exceed your expectations...it has mine!

Enjoy,
Kevin

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I used the shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. The shuttle was there within 10 minutes of calling and I was deposited at the hotel about 5 minutes later. The hotel is clean and comfortable though it is not close enough to any attractions or restaurants to walk. I checked in, took my belongings up to my room and then went down to use the business center to print my next day's boarding passes, use the ATM and then on to the restaurant. This is where my review goes down to 4 stars. The hostess looked at me like I had 5 heads as I approached to get seated. She asked if I wanted to pay my bill??? I said that I would prefer to actually be seated and eat first. She then acted flustered and sat me at the only clean table in the place in spite of most of the seats being empty. It was pretty gross to see all of the tables so dirty and cluttered with half eaten meals. I mistakenly ordered the very bland and overpriced salad, ate it and was only offered a drink refill as I presented the bill. BLAH. Take food with you take out from the airport or plan to make other eating arrangements. The breakfast the next morning was okay fare, but definitely not worth writing rave reviews about. The staff wasn't overly friendly. I've met much nicer staff at other hotels. The desk clerk in the morning acted like I was bothering him when I asked him to confirm my reservation for the shuttle back to the airport.

All in all: A+ Location, B- service, and D- food.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Cromwell, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Great location if you are arriving or departing from TPA. It's practically just off the runway and very close to the International Plaza Mall. No airport noise noted in the room. This hotel is spotless clean and fairly new in appearence. Staff was friendly. Parking was available and free. One hallmark of Hilton Gardens, the little snack store, was well stocked and next to the front desk. Breakfast buffet / service was available in the AM. We were fully satisfied that we got what we were looking for here. Small note: HG offers sleep comfort beds, you need to adjust them before sleeping... we did not realize that there were controls on both sides of the mattress, you need to adjust both.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This hotel is clean, fresh, has a parking garage, and it’s good for travelers, especially those looking for a place to leave their cars for a week or more. We live two hours away from the airport and wanted a place to stay before our early morning long-distance flight. We also wanted a place to stay when we returned two weeks later and had a late-night arrival. This was a good choice for us and our room included free indoor parking at the garage. International Place with its shopping and restaurant choices is nearby (but not for walking) and the TPA terminals are within a mile or so. It has a quiet bar and restaurant. Nothing fancy but not bad at all. Front desk service is excellent and helpful. There is a shuttle to the terminals every half hour and we will definitely use this same hotel in the future when travel from TPA is required.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

When traveling to Tampa/St Pete (my home town) for frequent work / business trips, I usually arrive rather late since I am traveling from the west. My husband travels to Tampa for business as well, and we both enjoy staying here. It is "realiable" - never any bad surprises. Always a very kind,helpful staff. And, if I'm not going to run out to one of my favorite restaurants in Tampa or St Pete, the restaurant is good. One thing that I always like to point out to business travelers who are there for a short trip, but want to dig their toes in the sand. Yes, Clearwater beach tends to be the one they suggest that you drive out to. BUT, Pass-A-Grille is far better, and actually about a 20-25 minute drive from the hotel depending on traffic. Easier to find a place to park vs Clearwater beach. Just hop on I-75 South and exit as if you are going to go to the DonCeSar hotel on St Pete beach. Once you "dead end" at Gulf Blvd by the Don, take a left. Drive down about a mile and then cut over to the beach. Plenty of public parking. You'll hit a toll bridge (cheap) before you get to Gulf Blvd, and you can use a CC for the metered parking in case you don't have enough quarters! A beautiful beach, and a beautiful walk after a long day of work/meetings. This is one of my favorite beaches in the area!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here for a brief weekend. We are really impressed with the hotel's cleanliness, service from the staff, quiet, and peace. A great place to relax, close to major malls in Tampa, oh and don't forget clean and quiet.

It's also very close to the aiport so getting there is a breeze. Finally, it's on the Westshore area, close to major highways that take you to the beaches, or Orlando, or any other place in Tampa.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore? Share your experiences!