“Mixed feelings about the stay.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2807 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #37 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Lexington, Kentucky
“Mixed feelings about the stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Wife and I arrived on 9:55 p.m. flight, (but was 45 min. late) rented a car and got to the hotel around 11:15 p.m. Nice lady checked us in. I had "added a day" on priceline to my original 2 day reservation and explained that it would be nice not to have to re-check in tomorrow, etc. Lady was very nice and said it was taken care of. Was at Steak and Shake eating at midnight. They took us to Busch Gardens and picked us up the next day and everyone was nice as can be. Returned to our room about 6 p.m. and it hadn't been cleaned, no new towels, etc. Called the front desk and lady said I could come get some towels or she could move us to a clean room. I said a clean room would be fine and could she put us in a room with two doubles rather than a king. She said no, we used a 3rd party reservation and it would be "unethical" to move us to a room with two beds because that cost more? I'm in the legal profession and was scratching my head about how it is unethical to make something right with a customer! Also, I had got a room for my elderly Dad and sister for the 3rd night and it was a two bed room.
I said well, it's sort of a bad deal that you didn't clean our room and then said I'd be down to get a new key. At the desk she tried to show me her computer screen and said my room wasn't cleaned because I checked in at 2:30 a.m. I told her that was just not accurate as I explained above it was sometime after 11 p.m. She said she'd have to check that out. Overall, I liked the hotel but it's just a case of one overbearing person sort of spoiling an otherwise pleasant stay. Sorry so long, never written a review before!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, December 18, 2010
Hello:
I'm sorry that you felt mixed about my hotel. I'm glad to see that my staff was friendly, and tried to help you with your issues. It's hard for me to determine the facts because I have no guest information, however, if the front desk clerk showed you your check in time, and it was truly 2:30am or so, it would be correct that you wouldn't receive service that same AM. It is also possible if you were sleeping in and had a sign on your door until the PM that you missed service as well. Again, I can't speak exacts only bits and pieces of what you have relayed.

As far as changing the room type, if they were standard rooms, they all are the same cost. However if you were trying to move to a premium room like your Father or relatives, then the clerk was correct to let you know as a 3rd party res the change could not be made. I'm not sure if there was confusion there as we could've moved you to another standard.

Thank you for letting me know the issues you had, although I believe most of them may have been misunderstandings. Please if you are even in the Tampa area again, feel free to contact me to see if we can sway you to a more positive outlook. Thank you.
Heather

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

To start with the hotel staff seemed very helpful and nice. We got a fairly standard room with a king bed, could be described a quite small for the US. Advertised transport to Busch gardens, which was only 1 mile to the car park so fairly close and definitely walk-able. This ran from 9-30 and came back at 5-00pm. seemed strange as the park closed at 7-00pm. The driver said it stopped so early because that when he finished work. Seems this is not customer centred service, maybe just something for the driver to do to keep him busy during the day? The breakfast really was the worst one i had had at any HIE. Again it was served with polystyrene plates and cups. accompanied with plastic knifes and forks. The first day the kitchen staff brought out fresh scrambled eggs, patties and bacon, they were all cold. We told the management about this. The second day it was omelets. Again they were cold and hard, unedible, We complained to the hotel management and they apologiesed profusly but did nothing, I pressed to speak to the hotel manager and she said she had spoken to the kitchen satff regarding the first days breakfast and said that it looked OK to her. We asked if she had tasted it, no was the answer. This shows that if they say sorry enough and even throw some money at you they expect you just to go away happy, but they do nothing to solve the problem. What is even more amazing is that the American guests were tucking in, have they no taste buds?

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hello:
First I want to thank you for letting me know that breakfast was not to your standard. I'm glad that your experience with my staff was positive for the most part. We do make the eggs and sausage, etc fresh every morning (cooking wise) and apologize if the items seemed cold to you. These items sit under warmers as well that are IHG standards throughout breakfast keep them warm without overdrying or burning.

I'm confident that when the issues were addressed with my staff and management that the issues were relayed to the kitchen staff immediately. I'm happy to see that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us in general.

Because of your reference to "the Americans" eatting it up (not sure what you meant exactly by the label) I have to conclude that perhaps the issue was part personal taste (since you mentioned taset buds as well) even though HIE all have the same basic items. I'm sorry if you feel that excessive apology, even though appreciated by yourself, didn't solve your issue. I truly thank you again for letting me know.
Nashville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

It's a standard Holiday Inn Express but needs to upgrade cleanliness. Don't vacuum hallways daily and it shows. Trash was found frequently in elevators. Pillows are worn out and lumpy, same with bed. Lights in exercise room annoyingly time out when using exercise equipment for more than 15 minutes. the breakfast is good, although breakfast personnel seem to have other duties at the same time. I stay at Hi Exp frequently and this property could use some help.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Hello:
I'm sorry your stay with us wasn't to your expectations. We do vacume the hallways and clean elevators daily. Other guests sometimes do throw trash around on the floors and the elevators throughout the day. Most of these issues are caught, but I do apologize that sometimes these issues happen. We are a new hotel, and all the mattresses are pillow top. Is that what you mean by lumpy? Most guests love the pillow tops! Our staff does do multi-tasks during their shifts so they can be aware of their entire department. Again, I'm sorry that you were disappointed. Please know that these issues are not our standard. Thank you.
gainesville f
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

Held a conference at this hotel for 2 nights and thought it was a great value. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Front desk staff was great and very helpful. Everything that was needed for the meeting was provided as promised. The hotel is in a great location, near USF, Busch Gardens, and restaraunts. Our review of other attendess indicated everyone felt the same way. We intend on using the facility again next year.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Hello:
I'm glad that everything worked out for you. I remember you in the meeting room, and you are always welcome to call and make arrangements for your USF group again. I think you were a great guest as well, and very easy to work with as far as needs for your clientele. Our meeting room seats about 35 so I think we were a great fit for you. Again, thank you for the positive feedback, and remember us when you visit USF/Tampa again!
Liverpool, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Just got back from our vacation. I can't believe some of the reviews that were written. These people must have stayed at a different hotel than we were at. My wife and I stayed three nights from Oct.15th to Oct.18th . During our stay we were treated well by the front reception staff as well as the housekeeping staff . Our room ,main lobby and entrance were very clean and well maintained .The staff had no problem answering any questions that we asked them . The location is ideal for anyone visiting Busch Gardens or Adventure Island (5 minute drive just up the street ).
To say the breakfast was the best would be stretching it but it was more than adequate. Come on people it's an express breakfast not a full service restaurant . If you are looking for any more than what this hotel offers than you should be looking at more upscale and expensive places to stay .This hotel more than meets the needs for anyone looking for a clean , friendly , and inexpensive place to stay near Busch Gardens .

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Hello:
Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your positive voice. I thank you again that you took your personal time to let us know we are doing everything right. It is true that some guests are not familiar with the Express chain and that it is a limited service and could be possibly used to something more 24hr full service. However, limited or not, my staff and I run my hotel with 100% positivity. Thank you again, and you are always welcome here, so please come back and see us!
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Thanks god I did not stay more than one night! The hallway floor was all dirty and water all over the main entrance to the elevators, try to wake up super early to catch some horrible breakfast before 9-am. Air conditioner not working properly in the middle of the night and don't even try to complaint because they can get as angry as you and get to the same level of no sympathy, when it should be all the way around. GUEST ARE GUEST AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS ONE...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Hello:
I'm not sure which guest this is as it's done by a user name. However, I looked up issues in the log book, and the only issue I found concerning an AC unit was a guest had called down to complain that when the AC kicked on it was loud to them and that the guest didn't know how to use the arrows on the AC. We did offer to send someone up and that guest refused anyone in their room, and also refused to change rooms. The next morning, maint did look at the AC and it was operating normally. When the AC kicked on, it did make a noise (like a starting noise), but it was at a normal level. Perhaps a light sleeper? That guest was accommodated at check out even though the guest refused assistance. This was the only AC issue so again I'm not sure if this is the same guest.

I apologize if you did not enjoy the breakfast. It is quite extensive in it;s hot and cold selections. I also apologize if it was wet on the floor by the elevators. Very often kids (and even adults)come in from the pool and leave wet and "dirty" footprints on the floors when they run back and forth, in and out. The pool is open until 11pm, and because we are an Express (limited service), we do not have 24hr staff other than front desk. Front desk always puts wet floor signs out, and then tries to address the wet footprints when they can. Unfortunately, even though we try, we cannot always be on top of what guests do throughout their stay.

Again, I'm sorry you feel this way, as our staff always tries to accommodate issues and we give a lot of effort to our breakfast. Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We had made a reservation thru one of their partner sites that contracts thru orbitz. This reservation was made Tuesday morning for a Wednesday night arrival. Wednesday morning my Grandmother died and we had to change our plans to travel to her funeral, After I spoke with the 3rd party booking agent they said they would talk to the hotel, our reservation stated that if we cancelled before 6pm day of arrival were subject to one nights stay but they would see what they could do. I called the hotel directly and spoke to a MOD who said " that is what you get when booking thru orbitz". I then spoke with the assistant hotel manager who said " I should be thankful... she did me a favor and did not charge me all three nights." I told her she couldnt because that was what the reservation stated - she did the bare minimum and she continued that I should be more thankful for her favor to me.I thanked her wished her the same compassion for her future family tragedies then she hung up on me. I hope that this reaches many people and the hotel management thinks about what it takes to have brand loyalty and not to mention a little compassion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Hello:
This situation was handled by Orbitz. It is their cancellation policy, by contract. By the time we were handed the guest's situation from Orbitz, the guest was already abusive and defensive (possibly due to the situation she was handling which we understood). When trying to explain their policy (that it was only a (1) night penalty, not the (3) night's she booked as a prepaid) the guest cursed out and mocked my Assistant so loudly the person she was training could hear. We in no way degraded Orbitz or their policy. I was in my office and came out to try to address. However the guest was not open to hear other options that we as the hotel directly tried to offer outside of the Orbitz cancel policy. There were date change options or workling with her on another room directly when she re-booked, etc. I stood with my Asst as she tried to get the chance to speak of them. The guest continued to curse and say abusive things about deaths in our personal families. This is not the first time a situation like this has happened. We are understanding (not heartless) and have made exceptions in the past and worked with the guest. However, when a guest is so abusive over an issue we are trying to be helpful with, I cannot allow them to continue to berate my staff. We could only at that point apologize and end the call. Thank you.