“No kindness or hospitality!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2807 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #37 of 159 hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“No kindness or hospitality!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Thanks god I did not stay more than one night! The hallway floor was all dirty and water all over the main entrance to the elevators, try to wake up super early to catch some horrible breakfast before 9-am. Air conditioner not working properly in the middle of the night and don't even try to complaint because they can get as angry as you and get to the same level of no sympathy, when it should be all the way around. GUEST ARE GUEST AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS ONE...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Hello:
I'm not sure which guest this is as it's done by a user name. However, I looked up issues in the log book, and the only issue I found concerning an AC unit was a guest had called down to complain that when the AC kicked on it was loud to them and that the guest didn't know how to use the arrows on the AC. We did offer to send someone up and that guest refused anyone in their room, and also refused to change rooms. The next morning, maint did look at the AC and it was operating normally. When the AC kicked on, it did make a noise (like a starting noise), but it was at a normal level. Perhaps a light sleeper? That guest was accommodated at check out even though the guest refused assistance. This was the only AC issue so again I'm not sure if this is the same guest.

I apologize if you did not enjoy the breakfast. It is quite extensive in it;s hot and cold selections. I also apologize if it was wet on the floor by the elevators. Very often kids (and even adults)come in from the pool and leave wet and "dirty" footprints on the floors when they run back and forth, in and out. The pool is open until 11pm, and because we are an Express (limited service), we do not have 24hr staff other than front desk. Front desk always puts wet floor signs out, and then tries to address the wet footprints when they can. Unfortunately, even though we try, we cannot always be on top of what guests do throughout their stay.

Again, I'm sorry you feel this way, as our staff always tries to accommodate issues and we give a lot of effort to our breakfast. Thank you.

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We had made a reservation thru one of their partner sites that contracts thru orbitz. This reservation was made Tuesday morning for a Wednesday night arrival. Wednesday morning my Grandmother died and we had to change our plans to travel to her funeral, After I spoke with the 3rd party booking agent they said they would talk to the hotel, our reservation stated that if we cancelled before 6pm day of arrival were subject to one nights stay but they would see what they could do. I called the hotel directly and spoke to a MOD who said " that is what you get when booking thru orbitz". I then spoke with the assistant hotel manager who said " I should be thankful... she did me a favor and did not charge me all three nights." I told her she couldnt because that was what the reservation stated - she did the bare minimum and she continued that I should be more thankful for her favor to me.I thanked her wished her the same compassion for her future family tragedies then she hung up on me. I hope that this reaches many people and the hotel management thinks about what it takes to have brand loyalty and not to mention a little compassion.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Hello:
This situation was handled by Orbitz. It is their cancellation policy, by contract. By the time we were handed the guest's situation from Orbitz, the guest was already abusive and defensive (possibly due to the situation she was handling which we understood). When trying to explain their policy (that it was only a (1) night penalty, not the (3) night's she booked as a prepaid) the guest cursed out and mocked my Assistant so loudly the person she was training could hear. We in no way degraded Orbitz or their policy. I was in my office and came out to try to address. However the guest was not open to hear other options that we as the hotel directly tried to offer outside of the Orbitz cancel policy. There were date change options or workling with her on another room directly when she re-booked, etc. I stood with my Asst as she tried to get the chance to speak of them. The guest continued to curse and say abusive things about deaths in our personal families. This is not the first time a situation like this has happened. We are understanding (not heartless) and have made exceptions in the past and worked with the guest. However, when a guest is so abusive over an issue we are trying to be helpful with, I cannot allow them to continue to berate my staff. We could only at that point apologize and end the call. Thank you.
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

On September 3rd, we checked in, our first room was flooded. They provided us with a new room. The second room had bedbugs. One of there employees informed us that the room was previously out of service. They provided us with another new room. Most of the staff arte helpful others just gossip while you are looking right at them. Breakfast could've been better as well especially for the nightly rate they charge.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Hello: This review was threatened to Mgmt to get compensation. It is intentional misconduct. All situations of this guest's stay is unfounded. Due to arriving with no voucher payment at check in, we as the hotel went out of our way to help this guest because she had small children with her. The hotel managed to contact the voucher program on Labor Day weekend. The guest became hostile during this process and then room moves and a free room was demanded throughout this stay. We are a brand new hotel with monthly pest control and "on call" pest control for issues. We proved ALL the issues accused were unfounded. The voucher company agreed and refused compensation as well. Please see this review for what it is. This guest knew what topics to say to try and "scare" other guests.
Hamilton, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Busch Gardens is not located in the best area, but we felt safe at this hotel. There is a Burger King and Red Lobster and Olive Garden right next door. Down the street there is a CVS and Dunkin Donuts. The free shuttle service is not worth it if you plan on spending the day at Busch Gardens, they only take you there 9-10am and the last pick up is at 5pm. Pool was clean, ask for towels at the front desk. Breakfast was ok, the eggs were fake, but the cinnamon rolls were good and the kids liked the cereal. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Hello: Thank you for staying and I'm glad you felt safe with us! The area is not the most desireable, but it's not the worst either. For the most part it's fine; there's 8 lanes of traffic in front of us so I never recommend any night walking regardsless of area. The shuttle schedule is limited so yes, sometimes it doesn't work for everyone. The attractions change their times so often that it's hard to keep up. The times we have seem to work the most for our guests.
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, and yes, please come see us again!
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010 via mobile

We booked a two bedroom suite. The room was clean, big, bed was comfortable. The pull out sofa was unbearable to sleep, so we slept on the floor. The free breakfast was great, it had eggs, yogurt, bagels, breads, and fruit. Really clean place.

• Stayed August 2010
Hello: Thank you for giving positive feedback that we are doing the right things at my hotel! I assure you the sleeper sofas are standard hotel (and they are new so that does help believe it or not) but I am still sorry that they weren't the greatest for you. Please come back and see us when you are in the area. I appreciate your business!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for her 12th birthday weekend. They had a great package deal with Busch Gardens, so we stayed here instead of the hotel we enjoyed last year at this time. I was very impressed with the cleanliness, and mostly, the excellent customer service. We checked in with Mike, who was so personable and delightful. Great guy, and it was a joy to spend a few minutes talking with him. The room was nice and clean, and well-equipped. Loved the complimentary wifi. What a convenience! The business center came in handy when our E-tickets for Busch Gardens/Adventure Island got wet, and I needed to print another copy. I was so grateful to be able to use their printer to make copies. We ordered out each night, and had no problem getting food delivered right to the room. I've seen reviews on this site mentioning the neighborhood, but I never felt afraid. I wouldn't walk the streets after dark, but there are few cities in which I'd feel comfortable doing that anyway. I did not worry about my car, and the parking lot was well-lit with no remote areas.
The bed was one of the most comfortable I've experienced. Slept like a log!
The breakfast was quite adequate. Bagels, toast, cereal, biscuits and gravy, omelettes, sausage, juices. I don't know what people giving negative reviews want for free. I guess it's not free ENOUGH!
When I asked for the nearest Publix to get my daughter a birthday cake, Kemelya at the front desk was kind enough to print out a Google map for me. She also told me that we could use the breakfast dining area to have our cupcakes and candles and sing "Happy Birthday"! It was great.
There are luggage carts provided in the lobby, so we only had to make one trip to unload the car and go to the room. It usually takes me two or three trips when I stay elsewhere and don't want to rely on bell services.
The pool was clean and clear, nice and warm, and in a secure area. My daughter enjoyed the fitness room, although small, but we didn't need much.
The shuttle took us to and from Busch Gardens, but when we went to Adventure Island the next day, the times weren't really convenient for us, so we ended up driving. Not a big deal, although parking is $12 at the parks.
We checked out with ease, again with Kemelya at the front desk. She was quite lovely and friendly, with an honest smile and sweet attitude.
I was very impressed with this hotel, especially the value for the quality of the room, lobby, dining area, and especially the staff. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially the budget traveler such as I.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed in The hotel last weekend with my partner and children aged 10 and 13. The staff are excellent, really friendly, courteous and helpful. The room was spacious, clean and had all appliances required for a stay, Fridge, microwave, kettle, iron, hair drier anything you require. There is a shuttle to the parks which is large and comfortable and they even went out of their way to get us to the park on the first day. There is a nice pool which is open late and a comfortable dinig area. The only fault the hotel has is it's lack of a bar.
However there are several resturants with bar facilities including an Olive Garden next door which was superb. Busch Gardens is visible from the hotel and can be walked to in 15minutes if inclined.

I found my stay here to be extremely enjoyable and I will return. The location is great, the price reasonable and rooms clean comfortable and spacious. However the best part of this hotel is its pleasant and helpful staff. Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Hello: Thank you so much for letting me know that my staff made your stay! We work hard to provide the best service we can for every guest. I'm glad you appreciate & utilized the free shuttle. Our hours are limited and sometimes guests don't understand that, but we are clear in letting them know, and there is a sign posted. Yes, we are an Express so they don't generally have a bar area. Thank you for the suggestion, however I think that's a brand standard. Please when you come back to the area stay with us again. It was our pleasure to have you!