“Disgruntled !!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #25 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Tampa
“Disgruntled !!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

First I'll start off by saying that the property is exceptionally clean, as it should be considering its youth. The fixtures have an upscale feel and appearance to them, and other than some dirt marks/pool water in the elevators, the hotel is well kept. My gripe is with a couple of customer service issues. To make a long story short, I booked the room using points and requested a 2pm checkout (a Priority Club perk). It was suggested to confirm availability with the desk upon my expected return from work at 5am. after returning, no one was to be found at the desk. i called at 10am and was told bluntly there was no way to accomodate because it was the day before New Year's eve (first I've ever been denied,but understandable I guess). i then made note of the fact that there was a carafe for coffe in the room but no coffee pot (I was told there were no extras available in the hotel), the desk instructed me to come down to the lobby if I wanted coffee. After arriving in the lobby, I was told by the staff there wasn't any coffee available. I then went to check out & encountered another Priority Club member also irate about not getting an extended checkout. He noted to me that we weren't as valued because the rates were increased for the holiday and we were on points. I left my info for the manager to contact me (I felt a third of my points being returned was fair), but was ignored. The desk said the other gentleman would be compensated before me because he was a Platinum member and I was just Gold. Mind you I book reservations of several Platinum members in the broadcast/entertainment industry for a living. I guess we'll gravitate elsewhere for the most part.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
I first wanted to say that I'm sorry this stay had good and bad. It should all be great. No guest information was received, otherwise I would've handled it right away. I'm not sure why we didn't have coffee as we always have coffee available. Thank you for understanding the late check out situation because of the Holiday. 99.8% of the time we do accommodate this if available. As a hotel, we do not separate Gold from Platinum etc as far as service. With the program, stages do have more privileges, but we appreciate all members, even Base. I'm not sure of the situation, but apologies if the feeling a Platinum member was appreciated more. Thank you for letting us know how we can be better. Next time you are in Tampa, please allow us another visit.

417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

If you are having any doubts about staying at this hotel then I can tell you to not worry and enjoy your stay! We loved this place. If your goal is to do Busch Gardens you could not have picked a better hotel. Very convenient with the shuttle service but also close enough that you will not hesitate to grab a cab if you want home earlier. We rented a car and found numerous restaurants,( To my fellow Canadians, try Longhorns Restaurant!! ) malls, pharmacies, all within minutes of the hotel. If you do not have a car then walk next door to the Olive Garden and order from their take-out in the bar......we did and it was excellent. Or there is also other places to eat within walking distance too. Do not let other reviews tell you this area is BAD! It is not an upper class neighbourhood, but, it is not scumville either! ( ha, ha) It felt to me like a working class area of Tampa and I felt perfectly safe walking alone to the Olive Garden to get my family their dinner. This was around 8:30 pm. This hotel also has a fantastic breakfast although I would have liked to see the bananas replaced with fresh ones, or maybe even the odd orange being that we are in Florida and they are relatively inexpensive and accessible. Don't forget to tip the weekday breakfast attendant, she is such a hard worker and always happy and positive. The free internet access and the privacy of the room it is located in makes this amenity a great asset. One night we had the entire pool to ourselves...heaven! The exercise room was small but had the equipment needed to get an adequate workout, including a nice flat screen tv to pass the time. We even did a load of washing in the pay laundry room that was on our floor. Every evening we would walk into the hotel and a fresh, clean inviting scent would fill the lobby. It is these little touches that make this hotel stay enjoyable. The staff, especially Michael the night desk clerk, were friendly, helpful and a wealth of information. We would stay at this hotel again without any hesitation. Try it out, I am sure you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
Thank you for the encouraging words! The area isn't a bad area as some would comment, but there are pre-existing establishments around us. We were built brand new, and some guests have mixed opinions. I completely agree (since the street in front of us is Busch Blvd, just a few blocks from Busch Gardens) that our location is very guest and family friendly. Thank you again for enforcing the positive!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Great location with free shuttle to Busch Gardens. Clean and comfortable beds. Room inside is not bad. Above average overall.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Lucky76sarasota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

The stay at Holiday inn express was great.... Mike at the front desk was so nice... very very professional made me feel right at home.... when i got there he asked me did i want to see the room first and i did... as soon i as walked in i was like okay this is where i'm staying i had been to one other place and it was nasty but there rooms were so very clean and wasn't stuffy a place where i didn't mind my kids laying their heads if i was to go back this is the place i would stay the staff was wonderful and the breakfast was SO GOOD thank you for the great hospitality.... Sincerly Terrica

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Hello: Thank you so much for the great comments! We love to hear how wonderful the stay was. Thank you again!
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

This is a great hotel. Personally, we have not stayed in a small hotel like this before. Normally, we are reviewing large hotels but next to Busch Gardens, there are only small Inn's and small Hotels. We booked this because of the free shuttle.

When we checked in, they had our room keys ready to go waiting for us. Everything was clean and we found out, this place is one year old. No wonder. Rooms are great. We booked a King with Jacuzzi tub. For the price, it was awesome. See our photos.

Breakfast was free and great. This is not a restaurant. So I'm not expecting a huge spread. But eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, ect. All very good! The service was great to. Despite traveling on Thanksgiving, she was so happy to be serving us. Free wireless internet in room which was great so we could do a little work. And free van shuttle to and from Busch Gardens and the driver was also wonderful and did not pressure us to tip like others do.

One and only thing we thought was missing was the cleanliness of the bed sheets. Our sheets had burns from Cigs on them. But that's and easy fix and remember, this is not a 5 star resort so we got over it quickly. Overall, awesome place when you combine value for what you get in the rate to the proximity of the theme park.

We will be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
MIAMI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Check in was a breeze,After a long road trip we were tired. They let us check in super early. The park is less then 3min away,which was great. For dinner I stop by the desk and ask for advice and the desk Cleark was very helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Goldau, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We chose this hotel as it is close to Busch Gardens where we wanted to go. There is a shuttle which brings you there, very convenient. Already at the reception we had fun with the staff. The rooms are clean, very nice and well equipped. The breakfast was very good. The breakfast room could be larger as you are really crouded there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family