“Brilliant if wanting Busch Gardens” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2807 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #41 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Brilliant if wanting Busch Gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Great welcome. Rooms clean. Breakfast had long queue, which was very well managed by the polite manageress and we found ourselves seated and eating relatively quickly. The food was good but the fact that they serve breakfast on small polystyrene plates with flimsy plastic cutlery beggars belief. REALLY! The bathroom had a card gave telling us how to help the environment (how to save them money). I wonder where serving food on non recyclable plates fits in with their "environmental policy"? Very close to Busch Gardens if not walking in the searing heat. I had emailed this hotel and was told shuttle to the theme park runs to and from every half hour. In actual fact you need to summon the shuttle and this fine if you have a triband mobile which works in the States, otherwise you may find yourselves walking quite a distance back, as we did! Had we been told this before I would have prebooked the Busch Gardens Parking in advance, which is cheaper than buying the parking on the day. Don't get me wrong this is a good hotel and I would have given five stars if it ere not for the misinformation re shuttle and the polystryrene!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Greenville, North Carolina, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Ok....I'm not even sure I can get it all on here. I know this is going to sound unreal, but I promise it is real...unfortunately. I have stayed in this hotel before and have had minor issues like no wireless signal, but all in all, no complaints. Hotel has a great breakfast with many options, but get there early or you will have a very long wait. This stay was a NIGHTMARE. We came to Tampa to take my son to Busch Gardens for his birthday and we were rained out and the rides shut down. We decided to try to check into our room early (a little after 1) and were told we were unable to because the room wasn't ready, but it would be ready at the check in time (3:00PM) We were fine and understanding with that response and went to the nearby mall and returned to the hotel at about 3:05PM to be told it would be about 5 more minutes because the housekeeping supervisor had to inspect the room. We were finally given the key to our room at 3:55. We were offered a minimal reduction on our rate (approximately $15). My husband asked to talk to the manager. When the manager finally came, she was very rude and wanted to talk about her occupancy being at full capacity and the staff not being able to get the rooms ready for the demand. Our hour in the lobby with 3 kids (one of them sick) was not her concern. Our room was very hot and would not get cool. After several hours we decided the air was not working and called the front desk. We were asked to wait "5 minutes" for maintenance. After a call back to the front desk, maintenance came. I forgot to mention that our sink had backed up and would not empty. When he entered the room that was 77 degrees and saw the sink (which he made the comment that the sink had not been draining properly for some time), he called the front desk and told them they would need to change our room. We had a suite and asked him if they had another suite available. He told us he thought they would upgrade us to a jacuzzi room. That didn't happen, but we did get a room with cool air. We were unable to get the television on with the remote, but the maintenance man came with a new remote. When I attempted to bathe my little girl, the stopper in the tub didn't work and the shower would not shut off completely in order to only have water coming out of the faucet. I got soaked trying to bathe her. When we attempted to use the sofa bed, the sheets on it were torn in several places. I took pictures of what I could because everything was so unbelievable. I guess the worst part was how rude the manager was about our situation. My husband asked about the wireless internet when we attempted to check in and was told that she thought it was working because she hadn't gotten any calls of complaint about it today. Well, it didn't work any better than the last time we stayed and were told it didn't work well with Apple devices. I have to laugh at their "Hospitality Promise" they have in each bathroom boasting of their high level of service. That sign should be flushed down the toilet. My husband and I travel often and have family in Tampa. I will not be staying at this property ever again. I will also caution guests that there were 4-5 cars with many people loitering in the parking lot playing very loud music. Better luck to any of you that attempt to stay.

• Stayed August 2014

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Jennifer S,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is disappointing to know about your experience at our hotel. I would like to address your concerns in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain more information regarding your stay.

I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed for four days while visiting family. Nice clean rooms. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Boys loved the pool. The breakfast was great with real food. There were eggs, bacon, biscuits and sausage gravy, donuts, bagels, and more. I have just two complaints about this hotel. We stayed on the fourth floor and every day the hallways were warm. Thankfully our room got nice and cold. We only ate breakfast once because it got over crowded fast. The line would circle the room. We had to eat at 7 am the one morning. Wish they could make the dining room bigger. It is close to many restaurants and across the street from Bush Gardens. Well worth the price.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We booked a double queen room for one night so we could arrive at Busch Gardens early in the morning. We arrived late and check in took only a minute. When we got too our room it was clean and spacious enough for 2 adults and 2 children. We had a room with a connecting door and when we arrived the guests in the room next too us had a dog that started barking. It was quickly hushed and we got right too sleep. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. I did wake up often throughout the night but that was because I'm used too noise during the night and the air conditioner turned off throughout the night as the room reached the set temperature. Of course, this is expected and not a hotel problem. We didn't get to go to the pool but we did go too breakfast the next morning. It was plentiful and very well stocked. Lots of different breakfast items too choose from. And the breakfast attendants were on top of their job. I will definitely stay here again next time I come too Busch Gardens. For less than $100 a night this can't be beat. They also offer a free shuttle too and from Busch Gardens but we did not use this either.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The rooms were clean. The stuff was super friendly. The beds were amazingly comfortable. Everything was local and close enough to enjoy. I would recommend this hotel to others. If you book at least a week in advance, they will give you a nice discount.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
BELGIUM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Stay:
11th July - 1 night - 2 adults and 1 child of 12 year old

Arrival:
We arrived around 8 o'clock in the morning and we received the room key at check in so this was very much appreciated. I have rarely feld this welcome in a hotel.

Shuttle to Busch
We were able to take the shuttle to Busch at 08.30 and again the next day which was great.
At drop off, they give you a number to call when you like to be picked up and a few minutes
later the driver was there to pick us up. 2 different drivers but both very nice and friendly.

Location
Free parking space - restaurants at walking distance and a free shuttle to Busch

Room
Very nice, spacious and clean room with nice beds and quiet airco.

Breakfast
Everything you need for a quick breakfast to start the day.

Extra's
Free use of a computer and printer so we could do the online check in and printout our boarding passes.I have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels, where you need to pay to use the computers. Very handy for people like us who travel without tablet or laptop.

Great hotel - affordable rates and I would stay again without any hesitation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights a few days ago since my family and I had planned to visit Busch Gardens. I have been at this hotel before a few years ago, and had no complaints then. This time though, a few things were good (the welcoming staff, free breakfast, free shuttle to BG). However, we had several little issues during at stay. First day, the room was clean when we checked in, but immediately noticed that our mini-refrigerator in the room was leaking on the floor. we had to put some towels on the floor so it wouldn't become a bigger mess with our kids playing around the room. Finally, they sent the maintenance guy who supposedly fixed the problem (exchanged refrigerators) and apparently everything was fine after that. Later that first night, we noticed the problem was with not the refrigerator but that there was not power on that wall at all (neither coffee maker or microwave were working), and obviously, the front desk said maintenance guy had left for the day and we agreed to wait until the next morning. I was just wondering why did the maintenance guy acted like the the new fridge he placed started working when in fact it didn't. Next morning the problem was just a matter with the circuit breaker and once they fixed that, the leaked had stopped (after using several towels). That second night we came back from the park to find that they had "cleaned" but not provided new towels (they left 2 we hadn't used), carpet was not vacuumed and the counter had still wine stains from the night before. Very disappointing! oh and we had to exchange TV remote controls since we were having issues changing channels and AC made noise at night, which didn't not let me sleep well. I'm a light sleeper so I was the only one having a problem with that. I seriously expected a better experience considering the money we paid for those two nights.

Room Tip: room 322, thew one we stayed on, despite everything, it had a great view of the fireworks at Busch G...