“Great shuttle service and location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2807 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #38 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
Texas
“Great shuttle service and location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Things I liked about this hotel: Great location. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was new and very clean. I could easily walk to Olive Garden, Popeyes, or Red Lobster for dinner. The shuttle service was definitely above average for a Holiday Inn. Robert was extremely friendly and very obviously a people person. He clearly explained when the shuttle would pick up at Busch Gardens in the afternoon as well as provided the number to the hotel in case someone needed to call for an earlier pickup time. He also came in to work an hour earlier than his scheduled time on a Saturday morning to take me to the airport for my return flight. He definitely went above and beyond the call of duty. Service like his makes up for a lot.

Things I found to be issues: The bed was without a doubt the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on in a hotel. It groaned and creaked every time I moved. I was very obviously sleeping in prior guests' body dents in the mattress which were clearly visible to the eye even before lying down. I could feel the mattress coils even though I am sure there was a pillow topper of some sort. Also, the pillows appeared to have some feathers in the which caused issues with my allergies. I woke up after a couple hours unable to breathe and with a swollen face. Luckily, I always travel with my medications. After the first night, I asked at the front desk if I could have a foam pillow. That pillow never arrived, so the second night, I rolled up my sweater and used it as a pillow. The alarm clock did not have a working volume control nor did the auxiliary jack work. The iron had a broken steam nozzle which prevented it from being able to be used as steam iron. The business center had only one computer and the printer wasn't working. To the credit of the staff, they were nice enough to print my boarding pass for me.

Despite the few issues that I had, I would still recommend this hotel believing that I simply had the bad fortune to receive a dud of a room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 if you need the alarm clock or the iron and until a remodel replaces the mattress or...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Hello! First please allow me to sincerely apologize for the quality of sleep you experienced here. It is never acceptable to us for a guest to have an unpleasant night’s sleep, and for that I am truly sorry. I have personally reviewed your comments with my housekeeping and guest services department leads regarding the pillows and the lack of response to your request for an additional one. We are actively working to replace the deficiencies you described regarding the clock and the iron. I also have asked for our IT department to completely wipe and reinstall the computer in the business center. With all the use it gets, I think it is time to just wipe it clean and start over. I am happy our Guest Service team stepped in to assist you with your boarding passes.

Robert continues to amaze me and my guests with how helpful he is. I am truly grateful he is part of my team.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know where we did well, and where we need to improve. We are only able to get better when we are told where we have fallen short. I appreciate the feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Lyman, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed at this hotel following a cruise and then spent two days at Busch Gardens with our children. The hotel itself was clean and nice. The complimentary breakfast had bacon, eggs, cinnamon rolls, pancakes as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. It was a nice start to a day at the park. The reason I wanted to review our stay though, was how wonderful the shuttle service was. We have 8 people in our family, so transportation can be a big issue. Robert the driver will take you to or pick you up from the cruise pier, Busch Gardens, University Mall, and even the airport! This was huge for our family. I wanted to let other travelers know this, since I am always looking for a hotel that will shuttle to and from piers as well as the airport. There were also quite a few restaurants within walkin distance like Red Lobster, The Olive Garden, Burger King etc. For these reasons, I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: There are no amazing views, parking lots on both sides ;)
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Hello! Please rest assured our whole team appreciates you taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review for us. We share each and every Trip Advisor review and celebrate when one of us is named specifically! Robert has been a fantastic addition, and brings a new level of customer service to our team. Our goal is to be a Top 10 Hotel in Tampa this year. Currently we are number 38. Each week as more and more reviews are added we see our hard work and dedication to our guests increase our scores. It is a driving factor in everything we do. Thank you again for letting us know we did a good job taking care of you, and we can’t wait to see you again in the near future!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Hotel was very clean and tidy. Its located in a great spot if you are intersted in going to Busch Garden which is within walking distance. We really enjoyed and appreciated our shuttle driver, Robert. He took us where we wanted to go, waited on us and was always on time. He was a people person, very easy to talk to and knew the area well; recommended great restuarants and places to see.
The staff (including housekeeping) at the hotel was wonderful and very helpful. We would most definitely book this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. Once again Robert has gone above and beyond in offering our guests great service. He is well and truly loved here. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Byron, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

We stayed here as a stop before going to Legoland in Winter Haven. We were going to go to Busch Gardens but, will save that for next time. Check was easy and even though the gentleman checking me in was interrupted by the phone, he apologized and that worked for me. The room was nice and clean with exception to the bathroom wall, but I can over look it. The wi-fi worked great and we were able to get what we needed from it. We had a 2 queen room and for the 4 of us that was fine. We did not notice any noises from other rooms and hopefully they didn't notice ours.

About 15 minutes after check in the front desk called to see if we needed anything. We did need extra towels and he brought them right up. Great service!

Breakfast was okay, standard fare for a continental. We did enjoy the pancake maker as that was the first we had ever seen. Made fresh pancakes which is nice, no more rubberized pancakes! Who ever invented it is a genius. The rest was well stocked and my youngest as always enjoyed the muffins.

Check out was a breeze as we prepaid online. No problems with things added to our bill. Good hotel for a close place to stay near Busch Gardens and quite for those that want sleep.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

First I think something on this reviews might not be right, I read everywere about the beer at check in but my stay was the weekend of new Years eve, I actually checked in Saturday Dec 31st and I was really hoping for a beer at check in after a loing drive. When we checked and went to room the room was not ready, we checked in around 5:00 PM? There was no towels and we finally got them around 9 pm after we asked several times. The only reason I gave this poor was because the bathroom was clean.

Something I was extremely dissapointed was that there were no real comforter to cover at night, I froze to death both nights. The comforter they use it super thin like a blanket. Also I traveled with little kids and the TV did not have a kids channel on purpose so that you buy a show for a lot of $..... they should at least give us 1 channel to work with. Breakfast was mediocre, no waffle station, they have a pancake maker but they were ok. I read somewere that they have fresh fruit, the only real fruit was green bananas and apples. The eggs are an embarrasment to the hospitality industry, cereals they have 3 options. Pastries were blahh.....What to say I was dissapointed because the hot breakfast was one of the reason I choosed this hotel.
I am really sad to have to write this review because I am really against having to leave a review, this is my second hotel I write from the many I stay but thought I had to give my opinion. My advise to hotel, change the carpets in the rooms, when you work your feet gets stuck and is so sticky all over. So sorry but got one more thing, the reason we booked that suite for $20 more a night was to be able to have a little more space and the microwave so that I can pop pop corn for my kids, well the microwave is soo bad it doesnt pop the pop corn, only 1 kernel out of 30 so imagine what 1 bag disaster.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My family and I just spent a wonderful weekend here at the Holiday Inn. The hotel is decorated in an African theme and appears to be quite new. The pool is kidney shaped and a decent size to have fun in. Although we did not use it because it was too cold outside, it looked nice and clean.

The room is a bit small, but the bed and pillows are extremely comfortable and provides a good night sleep for your day in the park. I liked that you can pick firm or soft pillows. The bathroom is a nice size and it's great the rooms are equipped with microwave ovens and refrigerators.

My only complaint would be with housekeeping. When they cleaned our room, they took all our toiletries provided by the hotel and did not replace them, nor did they replace the empty box of tissues. We had to end up going to the front desk to get a new set of shampoo, conditioner, soap, and hand lotion.

The breakfast provided at the Holiday Inn was excellent as well. The eggs, whether their scrambled one day or in omelettes the next, were delicious! They are accompanied by biscuits and gravy as well as sausage. They offer three types of cereal, coffees, teas, yogurts, milk, chocolate milk, hard-boiled eggs, and of course, their DELICIOUS cinnamon rolls.

We did take the shuttle to the park and the driver was WONDERFUL! A very nice guy who works around the clock and is always a pleasure to talk to. It was nice not having to park and pay for our car and if need be, we could have always walked that long block back.

I would definitely stay here again on my next visit and would recommend to all who visit the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Hello! What a nice review of our property! Thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to write out all you comments. Please let me first apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when you had to come down to Guest Services to get replacement toiletries. We certainly expect our guests to have what they need right when they need it, and taking a trip down to get supplies is something we want to avoid. I have printed your comments and shared them with our team, and assure you this opportunity to improve will not be missed. Thank you for sharing it with me.

My team in the breakfast area are great cooks! I am very happy you found their service and food as excellent as I do. They work very hard to make sure everyone starts the day full and ready to hit those attractions with a full head of steam. They are truly masters of what they do, and I couldn’t be more proud to have them on my team.

I have in the past few comments to reviews left for me here on Trip Advisor had to reply to the fact that Robert is a fantastic shuttle driver. I feel free to admit, he is the best person I could have possibly brought onto our team for this position. We love him here, and hope he doesn’t get so much publicity that other hotels in the area try to take him away from us!

Thank you again for the recommendation, and we can’t wait for you to come back and stay with us again real soon!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

The location is perfect for a visit to Busch Gardens. It's approximately 1 long block away and the hotel offers shuttle service to the park. Additionally, it's located right next to an Olive Garden. Upon arrival, greeted by pleasant/friendly staff. Our room was directly accross from the elevator (which I don't like), but the noise was minimal. Clean and comfortable room. No sheets for the sofa bed, but the staff brought some up immediately after a phone call. Temp control did not work perfectly on the air conditioning system, but room was nonetheless comfortable. Breakfast was very good...better then the majority of hotels. Would stay here again, although slightly overpriced at $120.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Hello! Thank you very much for taking time out of your schedule to fill out a review of our property! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. You are absolutely right about the L-O-N-G block to get to the park. A long time ago Busch Gardens had a gate closer so you wouldn’t have to walk as far. I was told they took it out because guests were leaving the park to go to the McDonalds across the street. ;-) I have no idea if it is true or not, but it made me smile none the less. Our shuttle service and our new fantastic driver, Robert, make the drive short and sweet. Next time you are ready to come stay with us, please feel free to contact us directly for a reservation. Additionally you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We sometimes run specials not available anywhere else on the internet.