“Horrible--Sheets from previous guest were not changed--Pubic hair on pillow.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens to your Saves list
IHG Booking.com
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2807 E Busch Blvd, Tampa, FL 33612   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save up to 25%
Ranked #24 of 158 hotels in Tampa
Kennewick, Washington
“Horrible--Sheets from previous guest were not changed--Pubic hair on pillow.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

On our first night shortly after check-in my wife found some hairs that appeared to be pubic from the previous "guest". Upon further examination we found the pillow and bed had lots of them (we have pictures) when I called the desk the maloe desk clerk asked what I expected him to do. No house keeping staff were working. I called back three minutes later and a female clerk said she would be right up with keys to another room. When we went to that room it had cigarette smoke in it so we upgraded to a suite. The next day when we were having lunch we received a call telling us that we had to get out of the room because they rented it to someone else. We were not available so they moved us into a smaller room without a view. I don't recommend staying there.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Hello:
I completely remember this issue. It was was actually myself working audit shift. The guest had been in the room for about 3hrs on the beds, and called down approx 11:30pm. I looked at the "hairs" on the bed, and rather than be defensive, I offered to move them to another room immediately so they were not inconveinenced. I did bring them keys to another room, and the lady guest felt the room "smelled like smoke". I did not smell anything, however again, I did not dispute, I wanted them to be happy so I simply went downstairs and found another room for them. The guest was then satisfied with the next room chosen, and I helped them move their luggage and gave them a discount.

I then returned to the "hair" room as I could not believe my staff did not change sheets in a checked out room (stay overs we do not unless they request) as they know I have 0 tolerance. Upon better inspection (yes I looked very close & touched) the hairs were not hairs. They were long and short dark purple threads. If you look at her pictures you can see a purplish tint to some on the 2nd pic and some are extremely long. However, I did not return to the guest, I simply let it go and let them enjoy the rest of their stay. I should have maybe corrected them, but they were only here (1) night and happy with their discount.

The upgrade was not accurate. The guest was originally only to stay (1) night, and in turn chose to stay at my hotel for additional nights. They requested a QQ suite and paid more for the room, however, the guest only initialed (1) additional night. So when they did not check out the next AM, we called them. It was then that I realized they were the same guests. They did want to stay additional nights, however the suite they were in (QQ) was not available to stay over in. I had no more QQ suites and their room was for an arriving reservation.

I spoke to the male guest and he said his wife was supposed to have made sure they were in for more nights, not just one. He realized the mistake. I offered to move him to a King suite. He agreed. I even offered to again move their luggage for them so they could enjoy their day. Again he agreed. However on their return, the lady guest did not like the King suite as it wasn't as sunny, and the sink area was smaller. I apologized.

I do apologize that this guest felt like I did not accommodate them as I personally took care of them (apparently they didn't know I was the Manager). Maybe I should've mentioned the purple threads, but it was a judgment call. Plus, honestly both guests were fine in the end even thanking me several times when I saw them.

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed overnight at hotel enroute to central Florida after a long late flight. Free Hot Breakfast in the morning was incredible and consistently replenished. Shuttle to and from Busch Gardens was clean, quick and very efficient. Will definitely use this hotel again and again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Hello: I am so happy that my staff took care of you with a clean room and a great breakfast! Thank you for complementing my breakfast girls! They try their hearts out to keep the food out there with so many guests! Our crowd tends to be families of four for the most part, so they definitely get their exercise for the day! Hopefully your trip continued to be great in Central Florida. Please think of us again when you are in the area. We would love to have you back!
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Great hotel booked 2 rooms here. Great location large clean rooms new and comfy bathroom reallynice with everything you need. Only complaint was business centre only has one computer so if someone using it you have to wait a long time. Def would stay again

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hello: Thank you so much for the kind words on my hotel! I do apologize about the business center, but as yo saw the room was built quite small. I do try to make sure that time is respected as I have a nice memo reminder in there for all guests. Please come back to see us when you are in the Tampa area, and I again thank you for your time to let me know how we are doing!
northern va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

We enjoyed our stay. The staff was helpful and courteous. Monique at the front desk was especially helpful. The breakfast was good. Shuttle to Busch Garden was convenient, but actually no problem to take the short walk back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Hello:
Thank you so much for the kind words after your stay! I will pass the appreciation on to Monique. It makes me proud to hear that she took such good care of you. Please remember us if you are in the Tampa area again. We would love to have you!
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

My husband and I arrived at this hotel at 1pm hoping to check into our room a little early. We had a concert to go to and wanted to shower after our long trip to this hotel from home. The front desk staff told us check in is not till 3 and no rooms are clean/available. We came back at 3 and then were told that check in had been pushed back to 4! The front desk staff made up excuse after excuse....their short staffed, they were at capacity, no rooms were clean, and so on. The majority of the hotels guts were in the same boat as us and wanted to shower before the concert, which started at 4:30. Everybody was pissed! I ended up washing my hair in the lobby bathroom sink and blowdrying it in the hallway. There was 2 bathrooms all the guests could use to change in and get ready in for the concert. I asked if I could go into the workout room to blow-dry my hair so I wouldn't be in peoples way, and the front desk staff told me it was out of order! All I wanted to do was use the electrical socket and mirror and they still wouldn't let me in their. The staff didn't even try to make us happy, they wouldn't refund our money. Our room @ 4:15 still wasn't ready! We left then to go to our concert.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Hello:
I do apologize for the issues with your hotel room not being ready. There were several guests who wanted to get into their rooms for the concert as early as 11am (because of the demand, I even helped my girls make beds until 4:00pm). It does happen sometimes that when all rooms are arrivals carried over from a sold out night, it does some times take a bit longer than 3:00pm. We did tell guests that check in started at 3:00pm. We very often check guests in when the room is ready

All the rest of the vacant rooms were ready by 4:45pm. I know the concert started at 4:30pm and you had to leave us (I just didn't want you to think we were done at a really outrageous time). It was partially so hectic and people were upset because we had a small group of concert go-ers who were intoxicated and causing problems with staff and other guests (not sure if you saw this) in the lobby and by the pool. It took time for myself and the desk staff to control that situation as they were walking around disrespecting others.

Our workout room is not out of order, so there shouldn't of been a problem if like you mentioned you just wanted to dry your hair. I can't say sorry enough about your room. We did the best we could to make everyone happy, especially the concert go-ers because of the start time of their event. Thank you.
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Spent 3 nights while visiting Busch Gardens. The accomodations were very spacious, clean and comfortable and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Shuttle to Busch Gardens was so convenient. Olive Garden and Red Lobster located within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Hello: I'm am so pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! As a hotel we aim to accommodate your needs and make sure you remeber us in a positive way. Please come visit us again when ever you are in the Tampa area. Your time to let me know we are doing the right things is greatly appreciated!
O. S., MS.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

On our first visit to Busch Gardens themepark my teenage son and I stayed here from Jan. 2 until Jan. 5, 2011. We had checked one hotel across the street but were very displeased with it, thus we headed here to check it out and were very impressed and satisfied with the overall quality we observed. First impression: cleanliness, organization, up to date decor and quality of such decor. Second impression: the front desk staff were very attentive and professional towards your needs or need of help around the area(the manager was there-on a Sunday afternoon- and helped check us in along with her assistant and all with a smile and a happy attitude, we felt welcomed). Third impression: The rest of the hotel staff also shared the same attitude about their job and it showed in the quality of their work, very detailed. Overall impression: Yes, my family and I will return and recommend this hotel. Special thanks to Ms. Myra and her assistant for the daily breakfast served(quality), also Ms. Livery for her and her co-workers attention to detail with room quality and needs; the young lady from New Jersey that works the front desk(Ms. Jennifer I believe-forgot the name but not the heart attitude) great advice about local eateries they were very good suggestions. Thank you, it was a memorable stay. Lord willing will see all of you soon. P.S. The Beds and Pillows were 'sooo' comfortable we rested well!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
TampaHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, February 13, 2011
Hello:
Thank you so much for the positive feedback! I'm so proud of my staff when they shine! I'm sorry to hear that another brand hotel didn't please you, but then again, I have to say I'm happy I got you in the end! Please think of us when next time you are in the Tampa area. I will pass the great compliments off to my staff as they deserve them. Thank you again!