“Solid Downtown Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern Virginia
“Solid Downtown Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk is a conveniently located hotel for downtown business or the University of Tampa (just across the river). The public facilities have been recently renovated and are good for small-to-medium-sized groups. Throughout the time I was at the hotel, the staff were excellent, from the front desk to the restaurant and the meeting team. I especially liked the morning greetings from the desk staff when you came through the lobby. The hotel rooms are of decent size (definitely spring for the river view rooms if you can), although the physical plant of the rooms seemed to show its age a bit (balcony doors and bathtubs). It wasn't a major issue, but the A/C did have a bit of a challenge keeping the room cool. Other than that, I had a pleasant stay at the Sheraton.

Green Features: The Sheraton offers an incentive program where if you decline housekeeping, you can either get a $5 restaurant credit or 500 Starpoints per day.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
AL A, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are very glad to hear that you found our staff friendly and our hotel ideally located. We also like to thank you for bringing the A/C issue to our attention.

I hope we have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

HOTEL NIGHT MANAGER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Conyers, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just spent fours days at the hotel and could not have asked for a better place to stay than at Sheraton Tampa RIverwalk. The quality of employees was wonderful, very friendly, attentive to our every need.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
AL A, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Lamar,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Grafton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The view, pool and hotel was an excellent choice for my two friends, my boyfriend and I but it was quickly ruined. The excellent service, good morning buffet and overall experience can not be seen anymore because in the morning my boyfriend and I found BLOOD on the sheets we just slept in. After checking ourselves multiple times, and finding MANY spots on parts of the bed we did not touch, we were disguised and bummed about our time. It didn't even look like the sheets were given any type of cleaning before!

I was given a refund on my hotel stay and valet because I was mortified and refused to pay. The hotel overall was an excellent time until we woke up in the morning. I would recommend checking the sheets!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing both your compliments and concerns regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations in certain aspects. Your comments and feedback were shared with appropriate managers and a corrective action will be in place.

Kind regards,

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Convenient location, with waterfront and downtown views, conveniently located for a great price. To make things even better, they are pet-friendly and will provide beds for the pets! Staff was friendly and relatively competent which sadly, seems hard to find these days. We did have to have them re-do our keys every single day -including right after check in. They seem to have some sort of problem with issuing keys that actually work but the hotel wasn't so big that it was too annoying to go back to the desk. Rooms are nice and CLEAN. Overall resort was very clean and everything functional. Would definitely stay again when in this area - first choice after many experiences. Also those Sheraton California King beds are TO DIE FOR. :)

Room Tip: Riverview is always great but honestly so is a street view. Overlooks the downtown area and some roo...
Green Features: Opt out of daily linen change and get back $5 per day!

Kissimmee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My family and I enjoy our stay at the hotel. Rooms very clean. Everybody was courteous, but one of the emplyees stood out in an exceptional way, and that was Marshall. He went above and beyond, he made us feel welcomed and if we've known each other for a long time. Thank you Marshall for your hard work.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AL A, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Hernan,

Thank you for the great review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and you found our staff courteous. Your kind comments have been shared with Marshall as well as the entire team. We hope to see you again very soon.

clarksville, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I've stayed at quite a few Sheratons in my travels, and I have to say that this is the most lovely one I've stayed in. The rooms were clean, the staff responsive and the bed was, as they say, heavenly! Only hiccup was with our room service breakfast. I ordered the croissant french bread and they called to tell me that they were out of croissants - would it be ok to bring regular french toast. It was a disappointment, but not devastating. Parking was way expensive - $16 overnight. Otherwise, can't say anything bad about the place.

Room Tip: We were upgraded, as SPG Gold members, to a River view. It was very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AL A, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Allow me this opportunity to thank you very much for taking the time to share both your compliments and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that you found our rooms clean, the staff responsive, and the bed comfortable.

However it appears that we fell short in some other areas. Those areas have been addressed and thanks to your feedback we will be able to make the necessary corrections.

Please accept our apology and I hope that you allow us another opportunity to serve you back in the near future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My sad stay at the Sheraton Riverwalk in Tampa began when I arrived and called the hotel for the Hotel Shuttle. I was transferred to the "Blue One" dispatcher and told that the service was responsible for the shuttle runs to/from the Airport. I did NOT know that there would be a $10 charge EACH way for the Hotel via this service! When I checked online, I looked under "Hotel Features" on their website ( http://www.sheratontampariverwalk.com/features ) and under "Transportation" -it states: " Transportation: - Valet Parking Facilities -Free Shuttle Service within Surrounding Area (Limited) " . Nowhere on this page does it say: "$10 each way to get to the Airport" !!!...Even on their HOMEPAGE (http://www.sheratontampariverwalk.com/ ) under "General Information" it lists: " Free Shuttle Service within surrounding area (Limited) " and is highlighted (hard to read on my mobile device)...if you click on the highlighted area it then takes you to "Transportation Options" where "Blue One" is listed as the provider, and; : " Blue One Onsite shuttle service available throughout Tampa Bay and Central Florida. No reservations are required. -Hours: 24 hours, Service runs every half hour -Contact: (813) 927-3602 -Travel Time: 20 minutes - Fee: $10 each way - Click here for more information .."

Granted, AFTER THE FACT, I researched further, and found that they DO disclose this fee, but only if you click on this link...Hardly CLEAR and PROMINENT. But if the service was dependable, I would be less upset about paying $20 to stay at this old hotel.
When I spoke to the dispatcher at Blue One, she said that they had 3 vans working, and two were in town and one was in St. Pete, so it would take up to 30 -40 minutes to get to the airport. Keep in mind, I arrived at 6:20P on a Saturday. The Shuttle arrived at 7:05 P (45 mins later)! I got to the Hotel at approx. 7:30P. When I informed the check-in clerk of my displeasure at having to wait so long for the PAID service, she simply stated that it was Blue One's fault as they are the transportation service. Never did she offer anything as recompense (or even apologies !). I had already called SPG Customer service, who also were not helpful, but made a complaint file.

Finally I get to the room and see that the carpet is dated, well appointed and the room was relatively clean; but the AC thermostat read "65 deg.". It felt more like 75 deg., so I turned it all the way down (to 65 D which was the coldest setting) and went to the executive lounge which still was (I was told) serving food until 8P.
The Executive Lounge was small and there was no food on any trays except celery, and no water or sodas in the fridge! I asked the attendant if they were getting more food, and he said he was closing down for the night! I said I thought they were serving until 8P and he said that there was a College Sorority Reunion in town and that 'they' had gone through numerous servings of free food. He gave me a warm water that he was just then refilling!
Disappointed and hungry I went out to eat with a friend and on our return, we sat outside of the bar and had a drink, only to find the Bartender could not make a "Manhatten". My friend ordered the drink with a double shot of Bourbon, but got a double shot of sweet Vermouth! He accepted it as you 'have' to spend at least $12 at the bar so they will validate your parking fee of $12 (Yes, no free parking for under an hour...).
I went to the room and found it was still muggy and hardly "cold". The temperature on my travel clock read "75 deg.", while the old AC unit on the wall read "65" ! I called down to the front desk to see about switching rooms, but they were booked up,so I slept fitfully in a warm, muggy room all night...
I tossed and turned throughout the night as the old AC hummed and put out its meek air conditioning- I dropped my watch from the nightstand under the bed and when I pulled out the bed, found a HOLE in the wall, which could let in anything in! (See picture provided). The Hotel was not renovated, but rather "re-painted", as seen from the pic...
The next morning I was informed that the shuttle service arrives on the hour, and I had to leave by 7AM. So I checked out at 6:45A and waited with a flight crew that was going to the Airport as well. When the Blue One shuttle arrived, it was already full of passengers, and said they didn't have room, but that another van was on the way.
At 705A, a van pulled up from Blue One and started loading the flight crew. I asked if I could ride with them to the Airport, the driver said "No, this is for the flight crew only". I explained that I needed to get to the Airport, and that the Blue One shuttle was full and I could simply sit in the front. He said "No" and continued on to the Airport. At 720A the same large shuttle came back, moved around its passengers and I was able to squeeze into the SAME SHUTTLE that had left 15 mins PRIOR!! Also I got the pleasure of having to pay another $10 for this delayed service!
All this stay showed me was that the Sheraton Riverwalk lacked so many things, that it would be better to stay ANYWHERE else if you are in Tampa, due to the following reasons:

-Hotel is old and showing its age. New paint does not a "Renovation" make...
-the AC units are old and do not work to their full capacity (unless you don't like a cold temp in your room).
-The staff is at best; lazy...at worst; inept. Essentially: You're on your own..
-You will need to pay $20 for a "free" shuttle service that will likely be late and cramped for space.
-Get to the Lounge EARLY if you want any food or drinks.
-keep your drink orders to the Bartenders with only 1 or 2 ingredients.

Post date: I received an email from a manager at the Hotel, and all it said was that they had taken a look at the website and saw that they have the hotel shuttle listed as going within a 3 mile radius of the hotel. Unfortunately the airport is out of this radius which is why they recommend BlueONE at a charge of $10.00 per person or a taxi in the amount of $25.00. They apologized if there was any confusion and please let them know if I found it listed differently and they will be more than happy to look into it. Also to please accept their sincere apologies as the feedback is genuinely appreciated. They appreciate taking the time to share my thoughts with them as they can use this as a tool to better serve the guests as they continually strive for excellence. Blah, blah, blah...

-- No where in the email do I see any attempt to make up for their deficiencies, but rather to say in a nice way; "Tough Luck !"
So in closing, if you decide to stay at the Hotel, I would tell you what they told me in their email:
...Tough Luck!

Room Tip: 6th floor had AC problems -
Green Features: unknown - they had blue recycle bins in the room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!