“Below average” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 159 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Below average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've stayed at quiet a few Sheraton properties and they are generally pretty good. I would not return to this one. The good: rooms are pretty good size and pretty quiet on the river side. The balcony was nice and the pool was pretty. The bad: the room was the dirtiest hotel room I've seen in years. Our towels in the bathroom were dirty, the bed had hair in it. The worst part was the dirty toilet. I will spare you the details here. We also ordered room service in the evening and morning. The food was pretty good. However the delivery people didn't take our used trays away when they returned to the room.

Overall I can't recommend this hotel. Perhaps we had a unique experience. But when I return to the Tampa area I will seek alternate accommodations.

Stayed February 2014
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hello FurnessFamilyTravels,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Tampa and for taking a moment to share your feedback. We're happy to learn that you found your guest room to be spacious, and that you enjoyed the food from your room service order. We're also glad you enjoyed the rivefront balconies and our outdoor, heated, riverfront pool. We'd like to sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your accommodations was disappointing. We feel strongly that this is in fact a unique experience as we get consistent commentary from our guests commenting on how pleased they are with our freshly renovated guest rooms and friendly service. We're sorry to hear that we are unable to gain your endorsement, but hope you'll afford us a future opportunity to make things right for your next visit to Tampa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
West Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

In walking distance to everything I needed to get to. Clean room. Very friendly staff. Valet tacked on a tip to our bill though. Walls are very thin. I was awoken by a neighbors alarm, sounded as if it were right next to my head. Same goes with what sounded like someone getting ice. Hard when in you're in town for a running race! It was convenient though and we got a good rate for the race.

Stayed February 2014
Greetings Kate E,
Thank you for staying with us for the Gasparilla Distance Classic last month. We're glad to hear you found your accommodations to be clean and our staff to be very friendly. We are a popular hotel for runners in this race and are glad you found your rate to be a great value. We apologize that your neighbors made it difficult to get the rest you desired prior to race day. We hope you'll return again in advance of next year's race and perhaps we can get you a room a bit further away from the ice machines. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Derby, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I had to visit Tampa on business in Early February and since my home town was receiving 8 inches of snow and record cold temperatures I didn't mind at all. The Sheraton Riverwalk Hotel was a great place to stay. It's location directly on the Riverwalk made the restaurants in the area extremely accessible if you wanted something along the river. If not most other eateries were only a few blocks away. The hotel itself was clean and comfortable. My room was well maintained except maybe for the shower area which needed some updating. There was rust and and discoloration around the fixtures in the shower and the decorative ring around the shower head was even exposed around the wall. But in no way does this mean that it was unclean. As I said before the room was very clean but the fixtures in the shower needed updating and replaced. I had a great view off the balcony in my King size bed accommodations. There were always college or high school Crew Teams working out on the river and it was pleasant to watch.

The exercise room was was well equipped and the machines were in good working order and modern. The pool area was also well kept and the chairs and fixtures were newer.

Now this place will cost you to stay there but it's a nice place to relax.

Room Tip: If you want a great view ask for a king size room if that's an option. I believe all the King Si...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hello ppelkowski,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking a moment to tell us about your experience. We're happy to hear that you found your accommodations to be clean and comfortable as well as the location on the Tampa Riverwalk to be convenient. We appreciate your feedback regarding the showers and wanted to be sure to let you know that there are plans for this to be addressed in the future. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Tampa and our hotel soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for business, the lobby area looks great like it's recently been renovated but the rest of the hotel including the rooms look like they could use some work, the bathrooms looked like they could use a deep cleaning, one of the first things I noticed was the grout in the showers looks like it doesn't get cleaned enough, the hallways have an old feel to them and smell like it used to be a smoking hotel, the front desk did nothing to impress me, I asked for several things only to be told no every time (Upgrades, room changes, breakfast, etc). They were polite but after a few requests I just gave up asking because it was annoying. I highly recommend staying on the river as the street is very noisy. Overall an average stay, I probably would not stay here again unless the rate is very low.

Room Tip: Stay on the river
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Hello Chris E,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking a moment to tell us about your stay. We're disappointed to hear that your stay was anything less than perfect. In addition to the lobby, all of our guest rooms, public spaces, and meeting spaces also got updated during our renovation. Most of the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we're sorry it was not to your satisfaction. We have escalated your concern regarding the grout in your shower's tile as that is certainly not acceptable. Lastly, we're sorry to hear that you felt our front desk was unaccommodating to your requests. Please reach out to our management team the next time you travel to Tampa and reference this review as we'd like to make things right. We hope to have the privilege to see you again soon.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our stay at the Sheraton Riverwalk was great! They really know how to treat their guests. The valet (I think his name was Cary) was very friendly as well as the young man bringing in our luggage. I really didn't expect this hotel to be as classy as it was. Oh, rooms were spotless as well. Thanks for the pleasant experience!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings Dee K,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent stay and for taking a moment to tell us about your experience. Thank you recognizing Kerry from our valet team. It's nice to hear that both he and the bellman that assisted with your luggage helped ensure you enjoyed your stay. It's refreshing to hear that you found your room to be spotless and that this alog with our helpful associates assisted in delivering you a classy and pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stayed at this Sheraton for Gasparilla weekend with a group of friends. We are participants in the parade and appreciated the location of the Sheraton so we stay there every year. Last year we received a good rate on our rooms ($180 before tax), this year we all got a different, much higher rate (from $209-$230 before tax). I was told the Florida Resident and Government Employee rates were not available for this weekend (I am both). A member of my group did receive the government employee rate when he asked. My room was very comfortable and nicely furnished, but there was hair on the shower tile when I arrived. My room was also not serviced on one day of my 3 night stay. The beds are very comfortable and there is a coffee maker in the room but no mini fridge. I was surprised that the restaurant completely overcooked our dinner order (salmon was a stiff brick) but they refired our dishes and gave us a round of drinks to make up for it. The buffet breakfast was good, plenty of variety, however the trays were not re-filled and we sat with other guests at our tables for about 30 minutes before the buffet was restocked with eggs, potatoes etc. I'm glad we didn't have a flight or cruise to catch! Check out was easy, the, bartenders, valet guys and free shuttle guys were great, however I was never charged for my stay. The charge appeared on my debit card as a hold, then disappeared after I checked out. I called and it turns out they had somehow credited my account. I couldn't walk away without paying for my stay, that's not honest, so I inquired and now my card has been charged. I understand the hotel was super busy for Gasparilla weekend, but you would think they'd be prepared in the restaurant and with housekeeping staff. This hotel is conveniently located, has a free shuttle to airport and downtown attractions, is nicely renovated and was quiet even with all the partying guests in house. However, for $250 total per night, plus $19 per day for parking, you would think the restaurant would be top notch and the rooms would be cleaned without having to ask and they would know how to check out a guest properly. Housekeeping also banged on my door the day before I checked out, asking me when I'm checking out. I guess their list wasn't enough and the do not disturb sign didn't matter. My friends and I will consider another downtown hotel for next year's Gasparilla, especially if we can all get the same rate. The Sheraton is a nice hotel but very inconsistent for the price.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good. Mine faced Ashley Drive so there was no view. Rooms on the other side have a ri...
Green Features: You can get Star points or a $5 voucher at participating businesses if you forgo having your room serviced. My room wasn't serviced on one day of my stay even though I didn't put the tag on the door. I wasn't offered a voucher, however.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Greetings KristaV863,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your stay during Gasparilla weekend. We're disappointed to hear that your stay was anything less than perfect. Our newly renovated and reconcepted restaurant, Rivers Edge, was performing a trial run of it's new menu for the very first time over this weekend. We're sorry to hear that it wasn't to your satisfaction but we are confident that it will be a much better experience in the near future as all of the kinks are ironed out. It was indeed a very busy weekend with revelers and unfortunately your guest experience was impacted negatively. For that we we sincerely apologize. We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton for a weekend away from home. The location was wonderful. We walked everywhere and also took the Trolly into Ybor City for dining. It was a nice weekend get-away and the hotel staff was very accommodating. The breakfast was also very nice. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello HAPPYCAMPERSFLORIDA!
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent weekend get-away. We're delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We're glad that you found our proximity to Ybor City for dining was convenient and that you enjoyed your breakfast in our restaurant. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Been to Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!