“Very Meh” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

They are having a go at tarting the place up but it's very much 1960's era brutal architecture so there's only so much you can do with it. I was given a mini suite that I think had been modernised because the furniture looked like the "look at our new look" display in the lobby, but the corridors are the type that make it look like the ceilings are lower than they really are. The walls are that hard concrete look and close in on you. In fact, imagine what you think Soviet hotels might have looked like and you've got it.
The public areas are nice enough now. The bar and restaurant are very minimalist; very basic furniture.
It's very obviously a convention hotel, and there are nicer spots in Tampa. This being Tampa though, there are a heck of a lot worse. Don't stay here if you have a choice, but don't be grief stricken if your company policy or convention forces you to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello Mark0381,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent visit. We're sorry to hear that the style and decor of our hotel is not to your taste. We are in the process of completing some renovations that will enhance the look and decor in all our guest rooms, meeting spaces, and public spaces. This project is scheduled for completion in December of this year. Our close proximity to the Tampa Convention Center does in fact result in a lot of convention related travelers, however, we also attract a fair amount of guests traveling for leisure as well as local guests staying downtown for a night on the town. Thank you for your feedback.

621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
san clemente, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is undergoing a BADLY needed renovation. On the basis of the physical plant it would probably have a 2 rating. However, its being upgraded. What makes this place is the staff. You'll not find a friendly, helpful staff. Great recommendations of places to visit and eat. They have a free shuttle, which will drop off or pick-up anywhere within a 3 mile radius. It was wonderful. Free WIFI worked well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello westphillyboy,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent visit to Tampa. We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience with us and for recognizing our helpful and friendly staff. As you alluded to, we are in the process of enhancing our hotel. Our revitalization project will provide updates to all our guest rooms, meeting space, and public spaces. This project will be completed in December and we're excited about what that means for our guests. As we address our physical plant, we are focused on providing our team members with the training and tools essential to delivering exceptional customer service. We're glad to hear that they delivered for you. We're also glad you enjoyed our amenities including our convenient courtesy shuttle and our fast, complimentary, WiFi connectivity. We look forward to welcoming you back to Tampa and our hotel the next time your travels bring you to our city.
Florida, US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

People do make the difference, especially Karla. Came to spend one night for a friends wedding. I live only an hour away, but didn't want to chance being out late and having a couple drinks and driving home. The hotel is old, I didn't expect the ritz, but the room sure showed its age. the bed's headboard had divots, the room desperately needed a paint job, cabinets in bathroom and dresser needed replacement. All these are typical signs of needing refurbishment, but I did not expect a spring from the mattress to poke outside the fabric especially in a hotel that advertises their beds as the most comfortable. When my extra pillows were delivered to the room, the person delivering "Karla" asked if their was anything else. (as good customer service staff are trained), but it seemed like she meant it, so I said I would like to show her something, and proceeded to show her the mattress. I told her that we considered switching rooms, but it was a hassle and we had to change clothes quickly for a wedding that just began. Karla went above and beyond!!! She clearly conveyed that this was unacceptable and said as would as we left for the wedding, we should let the front desk know so they could switch out our mattress and we would not have to switch rooms. The front desk staff were also quite accommodating as well as the service staff at the wedding party. Other than the outlandish price at the bar for three espressos of $20. and the age of the facility this would have been an exceptional stay. People do make the difference. If you choose to stay here, take the time to meet Karla, she is worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello leslietravels,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking a moment to tell us about your experience. We apologize that your guest room showed signs of wear. We're glad to hear that Karla and our front desk team provided you with exceptional customer service helping to ensure that you had a great visit by taking care of your concern and replacing the mattress in your guest room. We're also delighted to share that we are in the process of enhancing all our guest rooms, meeting space, and public spaces to provide a more aesthetically pleasing environment for future guests. This project is expected to be completed in December. We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back as our guest to the refreshed Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk soon.
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

To be honest, I was almost scared off by some of the reviews. However, from the time I spoke with the folks at the front desk upon arrival until the time I left, I was absolutely pleased with the service and attitude of every single staff member.

Although I arrived well before check-in, the ladies at the front desk switched me into a room that was ready, upgrading me to the club level. I had requested a quiet room, and that is exactly what they delivered.

Every single member of the staff with whom I interacted were exceptionally nice. You just don't find that to be the case very often.

My room was very clean, as were the other areas of the hotel in which I traveled.

The shuttle to the airport was running late, and the hotel substituted a taxi at no charge to me.

Again, wonderful experience from the time I arrived until the time I left.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Greetings Greygoat,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent visit. We are happy to hear that you weren't scared off by some of the negative reviews and that you were pleased with the service and attitudes of our team members. We appreciate you taking a moment to tell us about your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Tampa for your next visit.
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with some buddies of mine for a boys NHL weekend. The hotel is within a 10 minute walk to the arena so it is perfect for that. The rooms are definitely dated and in need of some updating but they do serve their purpose. The beds are comfy, the toilets flushed and there was lots of hot water for showers so I was happy enough. The staff is very friendly and will help you with whatever you need. My biggest surprise was the free hotel wi-fi.... it's actually fast!! Personally, I've never experienced this at any hotel anywhere and it was a pleasant surprise to be able to access the internet with the data turned off on my Android phone. Big plus for me there. Overall, I was happy with the Sheraton Riverwalk given the price I paid, I would gladly stay there again next time I am in Tampa.

Room Tip: Get a river view, street view is very uninspiring
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Jasen F.,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent boys NHL weekend. We agree, our proximity to the Tampa Bay Times Forum makes us an ideal choice for hockey fans, regardless of your allegiance. We're happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you felt our free WiFi service provides adequate transfer speeds for your needs. We are in the process of enhancing all our guestrooms, meeting space, and public spaces for the enjoyment of all our guests. This project is scheduled for completion in December. We look forward to welcoming you back to the refreshed Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk with your next stay.
Peoria, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I admit that after reading some less than desirable reviews I was hesitant on staying at this hotel. But I was up for the adventure. It was fantastic!!! The customer service was beyond good, they were always so friendly and always acknowledged you when walking thru the lobby. We booked thru priceline and received an upgrade to the riverside upon checking in. Our room was very spacious and clean. I did not notice any of the defects previous reviewers were talking about. The resturant/bar was also very good, we had breakfast one day and a couple of drinks and appetizers at the bar on both evenings that we stayed. We also loved the Riverwalk. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Greetings Christina C.,
Thank you for staying with us. We're glad to hear that despite your initial reservations that you elected to stay with us and had a fantastic experience. Thank you for recognizing the great customer service and friendly acknowledgement you received from our team members throughout your visit. We're happy that you were pleased with the upgrade and that you found your accommodations to be spacious and clean. We're also thrilled that you enjoyed the food and drinks in our Ashley Street Grille and Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit and hope to see you again soon.
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Upon looking for hotels close to the Tampa Bay Times Forum this one hit the list high being on the river and walking distance. Check in was smooth and everyone was very friendly. Valet service were professional and careful with my vehicle which sits very low. The room was nice and surprisingly quiet even though we were right by the elevator. Ended up with the city view which provided endless entertainment watching all the traffic infractions and interesting people moseying along in the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Brandon M.,
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk for your recent weekend hockey trip. We are just 7 blocks from the Tampa Bay Times Forum and are a convenient option for anyone traveling into Tampa to attend events, hockey or otherwise, at this venue. We're delighted to hear that your check-in went smoothly, that you found our staff to be friendly, and our valet team to be professional. We're also glad to hear that you thought your accommodations were nice and quiet. We hope you'll consider staying with us again the next time your travels bring you to Tampa.

Been to Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!