“Staff and location amazing...... rooms and valet disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #74 of 158 hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami Beach, Florida
“Staff and location amazing...... rooms and valet disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Location is probably the best in Tampa besides Waterside Marriott.
Great views! Really liked the open lobby business center/computer area. Workout room was pretty good.
The Pool is right next to the River. Great area to hang out.
Their in house restaurant Ashley Grille is good with very friendly staff. Front Dest staff was the star of this hotel though. They were all incredibly helpful and pleasant. Honestly you couldn't get through the lobby without some staff member saying hello or asking if you needed anything.

Negatives: Hotel is very run down and it's noticeable. Carpets, furniture, linens in rooms really worn. TV in our room went in and out. Going from the public areas to the room was disappointing. The biggest disappoinment for me was the valet staff. It's valet only so you have to use them no matter what. Our initial arrival to the hotel is not what I'm used to when traveling. We pulled up and 2 valet's looked like they were talking with a taxi driver and could not be bothered. We sat there looking at them and I finally had to ask if they could help us with the check in process. Their response to me was "Yeah we'll get ya, you should have said something sooner" Really? A couple times when arriving back to the hotel early evening no valet staff could be found. I once sent my wife upstairs to the room while I waited to hand over our keys. When one finally came out he told me to wait for him to get back from getting a car for a guest waiting to leave (who had been standing there with me for over 5 minutes as well). He could not have just taken my keys with him and let me go upstairs? I just left my keys on his desk hoping someone random would not take them. On another note, these guys NEVER opened the door for my wife. I actually walked back around the car twice to do it myself while the valet staff stared at me doing it.

Overall the hotel is good.
Just needs renovation and a staff change in one area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Greetings MiamiLawman,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent visit. We're thrilled to hear that you find our location, amenities, and staff to be amongst the best available amongst hotel options in Tampa. We appreciate your endorsement.

We're extremely dissapointed to hear about your experience with our valet staff. We tend to get very positive feedback from our guests regarding our valet team and are very interested in learning more about the specifics of your encounters so we can address this with the staff members in question directly. Please contact our General Manager, Joe Jennings at the hotel directly at your earliest convenience.

We're happy to share that we are about to being a capital intensive renovation and building project to address the dated condition of some of our guest rooms. They will each be refreshed by the end of this year so that all of our guest rooms will have a more modern look and feel. We hope you'll be able to come back after this project is completed so you can share your impressions about the changes.

587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I enjoyed my ten days in the Riverwalk. The staff was friendly, the service quick. I enjoyed the fact that our housekeeper, for most of the stay, really made me, and my classmates, feel extra special! When I called the front desk, they would immediately look into the matter. I ate my dinner a few times in the restaurant/lounge, could watch all the activity along the river. All in all, I felt as if I was in a swanky(high-end) bed and breakfast. Wonderful, and I can't wait for next term!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ignacio H, Manager at Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Hello Kay W,

Thank you for spending the ten days with us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and are pleased to hear that the friendly service from your room attendant made you and your classmates feel extra special. We look forward to having you and your classmates as our guests again soon.
Santa Clarita, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was in town for a convention so I choose the Sheraton Riverwalk. Great downtown location. My room was just fine, right down the street was a art festival within walking distance. The pool was nice, and the views of the river were nice especially at night. I was able to walk to several restaurants in the area.When it came time to go to the Tampa Convention Center, I choose a "Water Taxi" This was cool ! They picked me up right at the hotel, cruised me up the river and right to the front steps of the convention center. During the day I had made friends with the taxi captain, so he took me with him to pick up fares all up and down the river. We had a blast !!! All in all my stay was very memorable. I would go back again.
John Ellis

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Greetings John,

Thank you for choosing us for your recent stay and for taking a few minutes to tell us about your experience. We feel that we are a convenient option for guests attending events at the Tampa Convention Center and are glad to hear you feel the same way. It's great to hear that you conected with Captain Larry with Tampa Water Taxi. Our city is beautiful by land but it's breathtaking by water. We hope to see you again soon.
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

First, the staff if fine. Courteous eager to help and generally smiling. The location is perfect, the views from the rooms (especially riverside) are terrific. Having had two extended stays in the past year, I see the continuing wear on the hotels plant and no signs that conditions are being addressed. The furniture is worn (headboard carries scars from many nights of guests doing what guest do), the fixtures are dated, The porches are need of paint.
I would note that the waffle iron in the top floor lounge war out and the remainder of my stay was an endless dish of "scrambled (aka powdered) eggs and not so crispy bacon. From the constant activity, meetings, and arrivals, one can assume the property is profitable. I would hope plans to refurbish are on the agenda for the next board meeting.

Room Tip: get riverside....
Green Features: the hotel seems very conscious of ecology;. Recycle bins in rooms, option to skip house cleaning and receive $5 food credit....
Hello Jimgus,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your loyalty and your willngness to share feedback about your stays. We're glad you found our staff to be courteous and helpful, we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. I am excited to share that we will be starting a capital intensive renovation and building project later this summer. This will include updates to all our guest rooms, public spaces, and meeting spaces. We hope you'l stay with us again after this project is completed and that you'll share your feedback on the refreshed Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk then.
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Chose this hotel because it was so close to downtown and on the river. It didn't disappoint in that respect. It's a solid hotel. Rooms are a bit dated. Washroom is iffy, but we didn't come to spent time in the room. Good stay. Good people. Parking a vehicle is by valet only ... a little spendy, but you're downtown and they were always helpful in dealing with all the people & cars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Powisallgood919,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent weekend getaway. We're delighted to hear that you had good stay and that you feel we have good people. Our associates are our best asset and we realize they are what make stays memorable for our guests. I'm hapy to share that we will be starting renovations very soon to provide an updated and refreshed look for our guests. We hope you'll consider another weekend getaway with us once the project is completed.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

As other reviewers have mentioned this hotel has a good location in downtown Tampa, on the River, so the pool affords a very nice view. The staff was courteous and very helpful, especially when I couldn't get my WiFi devices to work, they walked me through a solution. But the hotel is dated, the head board of my bed was worn and had seen better days. The bathrooms are typical 1990's hotel style, a little small considering the size of the room. Just the feel of the hotel gives you the idea that she has seen better days. The gym had what you need for a brief stay to get a decent work out in. There is construction of a new Aloft hotel adjacent to the property, after Westin finishes that construction maybe they will update the Sheraton, it sorely needs it.

Room Tip: Choose a room with river view if available, the view is really nice. In the morning you might see U...
Greetings RawwDogg,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. We're glad to hear our staff was so helpful to you when connecting your devices to our complimentary WiFi service. Although we welcome Aloft to the neighborhood, you won't have to wait until they complete construction before we address our own updates. We are thrilled to share that we will be renovating all of our guest rooms, meeting space, and public space beginning later this summer. We hope that you'll choose to stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Tampa and that you will tell us about your experience at the refreshed Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk.

Been to Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!