“Latin Quarter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ybor City

Ybor City
Northeast of the Downtown Tampa on I-4 at Exit 1, Tampa, FL 33618 (Historic Ybor)
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 92 Attractions in Tampa
Type: Neighborhoods, Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest
Activities: Nightlife, City walk sightseeing, Shopping, Dining
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Once the cigar capital of the world, Ybor City is now a thriving community.
Mississauga
29 attraction reviews
“Latin Quarter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We visited Ybor City on a weekday, during the day. There were tourists and locals present, but it was not busy. We have been to Cuba many times, and found this area to be reminiscent of Cuba. There is a cigar shop with recent immigrants from Cuba, rolling cigars. We don't speak Spanish, and they don't speak English, but we were still able to communicate a bit, and find out about their cigar shop. It was a neat experience, quite authentic. It did not feel like we were in Florida. We visited the Visitor Information Centre, where they present a movie which documents the history of Ybor City. My teens thought it would be boring, but it was quite informative. We visited Columbia restaurant for lunch. The food was delicious, made just like in Cuba. It is a bit pricey, very busy, but well worth the visit. There are a few stores and coffee shops. There is an Italian cultural centre as well, which documents early Italian settler experiences there. However, there are mainly a lot of bars, restaurants, and night clubs here. Ybor City likely would appeal to a younger, partying crowd in the evening, but it's a fun half day trip for families during the day. There is also a farmer's market here on Saturdays. We also drove around the historic district. If you enjoy architecture, you might like to do the same. There are some old historic homes and buildings to see. However, some parts had rather shady looking characters wandering around, which lead us to believe it was not exactly the safest part of town.

Visited March 2013

Pekin, Indiana, United States
59 attraction reviews
“Old Tampa, with great Hispanic history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Lots to see in Ybor City. Lots of shops, and restaurants, and several places to buy hand rolled cigars. There is a fee to park, and a little bit of walking. I really enjoyed it!

Visited February 2013
Brevard, North Carolina, United States
22 attraction reviews
“Desolate Ghost City”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place might have been nice at one time. Being one of the most interesting places to see in Tampa other than Busch Gardens I am sad to say was nothing like I expected. I walked into a vintage store called "La France" and the cashier put my money up to the light and was looking exceptionally hard at it almost in disbelief it was real. Walking down the street later on I noticed drug addicts and a desolate and abandoned city. We had to turn around before we finished our walk for fear of getting rob. Their were groups of wasted youth wandering around like lost souls. Very sad and would not want to return.

Umatilla, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“Dilapidated, nothing to do, not at all what expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was disappointed with my visit to Ybor City. We came for one reason, to visit the Columbia Restaurant because we have been to the one in St. Augustine several times and wanted to see the original. We arrived two hours early so that we could walk about Ybor City having heard so much about it. Well, I don't know if it tanked with the economy or what, but the restaurant was pretty much all that was there. (For the record, we were pleased with the restaurant.) There was absolutely nothing to do at 3:00 on Saturday. I expected shops and other business, but most of the places were boarded up. The area in general is very run down. Maybe it's more of a night spot and I'm not into nightlife, but if like me you are expecting an interesting area to walk around and explore, there's just nothing there.

Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
“Maybe next time....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We arrived at Ybor City expecting a little more than what we got. My husband and I both agreed that if we were to return we'd maybe go back in the evening. There are a LOT of clubs/bars. Not really a family scene. There seemed to be lots of places to eat, but several weren't open yet. (It was late afternoon.)

Visited July 2013

Been to Ybor City? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ybor City, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.