“Just a hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Tamarac
Sebring, Florida
“Just a hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights. Room was clean, spacious and no strange smells (we have allergies). I liked having 2 beds and a pull out couch. Bathroom was standard and clean (although they left cleaning spray in the bathroom, could have been child hazard). Room was never serviced by the housecleaning (we were gone from 6:45am to 12:30). I went to the desk to get towels and they were musty smelling. Breakfast doesn't start until 7am, so we couldn't use it. Would have been nice to know ahead of time. Carpets look like they have been replaced recently and the hallways repainted, so I guess the new management is trying. Front desk for Friday & Saturday was great. Sunday morning person didn't say Thank You or ask how things were. Hot tub was cold. Review: Just OK, but it looks like the new management is trying. New housekeeping personnel would be a good start!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Auburn, Washington, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

First off, I didn't realize that I had booked this hotel & it was 20 miles from the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood airport & Port Everglades when that was where I needed to be. So we paid forty-five bucks to get to this ghetto hotel at 11pm and had to pay fifty bucks not 12 hours later to get back. Not to mention that I got food poisoning from their nasty continental breakfast. (Microwaved sausage & eggs) The bed was the best thing about this night. The bathroom was sketchy. The location of the hotel was sketchy. I only slept and showered because we'd had traveled all day from Seattle.
Also, Expedia wouldn't post my review because "it wasn't appropriate..." I just think they didn't like it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The staff bent over backwards, even the housekeeper was helpful and nice. The room was nice but very obvious there had been water damage that was just patched instead of fixed. There was some mildew in the shower and I think the room just needed a deep cleaning. Sheets were clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was better than most hotels I've stayed at. Elevator was very slow. Lobby was nice and newly done. WIFI seems good. Outside grounds could use some work. For the price it's what I expected. JUST HATED WAKING TO A ROACH ON THE WALL!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Palm Harbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed here as part of a youth sports team. If we had not wanted to be part of the team...we would have checked out the first night. Our room was very musty smelling, carpet is looking worn and there was a strange red stain on our popcorn ceiling. Breakfast was packed and after the first morning we elected to eat out...even though it was included in the price of the room. Elevator was out of date and needing to be inspected. Needless to say this is a one stay only hotel for us!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TheresaC876, General Manager at Comfort Suites Sawgrass, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I must first apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while a guest at our hotel and let you know that guest satisfaction is a top priority of our team at the hotel. Our guest rooms just had new carpet put in January so I was surprised to see that your room had worn carpet and the room smelled musty, again I apologize. I can only hope that if you travel to our area again you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked this property on Hotwire. I checked the chain's website as a means of comparison and, considering it was high season in South Florida and spring break as well, think I got a great bargain here. Let me quickly point out that this is NOT a property you want if you're a beach lover. It lies miles west of the coast between the Florida Turnpike and the Sawgrass Expressway. I was half-way expecting to see crocs in the (very small) swimming pool. It's convenient to the huge Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall and, if you're a nature lover, the Everglades. You'll want/need a car if you want to get anywhere of note - drugstores, grocery store, restaurants, and what-not.

This is a four-story property that seems quite popular. It adjoins a MainStay Suites property and both share the front desk. My "suite" featured a sofa bed and Queen Ann coffee table opposite a modest area with a small sink, granite counter, microwave, coffee maker, and 3' fridge in the sitting area. Lighting in this section is quite dim. The bedroom area had a king-size bed, a flatscreen TV, a table/desk with the afore-mentioned Queen Ann legs and a desk chair whose cloth seating showed quite a bit of use (nice way of saying stains and dirt). The carpet throughout was a dark blue with an overlaid pattern of green squares. The wall-mounted lamps flanking the comfortable bed had plugs (great for my C-Pap machine and cellphone battery charger) and there was plenty of drawer space. In the entryway was a low, flat-topped chest about the size of a steamer trunk with a couple drawers. The "closet" was an indentation in the wall with a floor-mounted safe and no door. The bathroom was more-than-adequately supplied with towels and linens and generous counter and mirror surfaces. Hot water often required a long wait (hence wasting water in the process). Overall, however, the rooms are handsome and better than one might expect. Three people who came to the room (OK, one was a pizza delivery guy) each made the unsolicited comment to the effect that "Gee, this is a nice room!" upon first entering.

Doors and walls are not thick or well-insulated. One can hear a lot of inter-room and hall noise. Similarly, windows are not sound-proofed and the front parking lot and traffic noise on busy Commercial Blvd. is always noticeable. Breakfast is included in the room rate. This features a wide variety of breads and pastries, 3 cereals, 4 juice options (bring a larger cup from another site; the juice cups are like thimbles). Hot items always featured scrambled egg discs like one finds on a fast food breakfast sandwich and one other alternating item (I saw sausage patties one day, biscuits and gravy another) and there's a waffle iron. All the service ware is plastic, paper, or styrofoam. The carpeting in the breakfast room and the room corridors is a wave pattern in several shades of blue which exhibit a shocking number of ugly stains throughout the property.

There is a business center with two computers and printers off the lobby. Each floor had ice and vending machines. Best of all, EVERYTHING WORKED - which is not always the case.
The front desk staff range from minimally helpful to semi-friendly. None were particularly warm, welcoming, or out-going. It was strictly business. However, I more than got my money's worth but would return here only if I had a car at my disposal or was visiting friends in the immediate neighborhood. Avail yourself of the delivery options offered by Canoli Kitchen.
Pizzas, strombolis, subs, salads, and the chocolate-dipped canolis are all very good. Their menu is printed on the list of TV channels.

Room Tip: Ask for an even-numbered room on the north/backside of the property to lessen street noise from Comm...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our hotel. I too am a beach lover and I must agree that our hotel is west of the beaches. It was so great to read such such a thorough review of our hotel, location and guest room. I do hope that you will stay with us again when you travel to the Ft. Lauderdale area (even if you want to see the beaches).
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Have stayed at this Comfort Suites many times while visiting family in Tamarac over the years. And over those years, the quality of the place had been deteriorating so that we usually chose a different Choice hotel when in the area.

Well, we decided to try it again on this visit and our room was a huge surprise! New carpet, new bedding, the room looked very nice. The bathroom had been improved too with new flooring and sink area (although it looked like they were still doing the wallpapering because the wallpaper was a mess). The carpet in the halls looked stained, though, so don't know if that was just not done yet, or already messed up by people!

The clerk said most of the rooms have been renovated. Place also has the traditional free wi-fi and free breakfast (and the slowest elevator known to man!). So, due to renovations, I don't have a problem recommending this place again and will definitely stay here when visiting family in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We have been working very hard finishing up the renovations and refreshing areas of the hotel. I am so happy that you noticed and even happier that you were so gracious and took the time to write about it. Thank you.

We will look forward to having you as our guest should you travel to our area again.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 6 nights in March 2013. Overall, we liked the hotel, and the location was perfect for our needs. Within a few blocks, you will find a Walgreens drugstore, a Publix Supermarket, 7-Eleven stores, gas stations, and Cheddars Restaurant, (which we liked), among other places. The hotel is located near University Drive, which has plenty of stores and restaurants along it, especially if you head a few miles north on it, to the town of Coral Springs.
For the first night, which was a Friday night, we were given a room at the front of the hotel, facing Commercial Blvd. There were no drapes at the window, only shutters, which did not keep out the noise. We found the traffic noise to be intolerable, especially when trucks & motorcycles went by, which was often. Also, there was a rowdy group of people staying at the hotel who made a lot of noise, both outside in the parking lot and in the hallways. I called the night clerk and asked if the folks in the parking lot could be asked to quiet down, and she took care of it. The noisy folks were gone by Sunday, and then we found the hotel to be a lot quieter after that, which we greatly appreciated.
On Saturday, we asked to be moved to a room at the back of the hotel, and as soon as a room there was vacated & cleaned, we were re-assigned. We moved into a newly-renovated, spacious and clean room on the fourth (top) floor. The room faced the rear parking lot of the hotel, which is generally quieter and less-used than the front parking lot. Heavy drapes blocked out noise and light. We were much happier, and slept much better, in the new room, which had a sofa and a lightweight coffee table along with the 2 comfortable queen-size beds.
We found that the swimming pool, also located at the back of the hotel, was clean and hardly used, at least with the cooler weather we had during our stay. We had been concerned about hearing a lot of noise from the pool area, but that was not the case during our stay.

The cleaning staff did an excellent job in our room. I can’t say as much for the public Ladies Room off the lobby. It was frequently out of toilet paper or low on it, and needs more attention than it gets.
My husband likes a very hot shower, and his only complaint was that he did not get enough hot water. The water pressure was good, and I found the hot water supply to be adequate for my own needs.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the excellent & cheerful customer service we received from the 2 evening desk attendants, Shareil and Nicole. We made several requests of them during our stay, including the move to the new room. Both of these ladies were helpful, friendly and had great customer-service skills. It was a pleasure to interact with them. I hope their manager realizes what wonderful employees they are.

In response to other comments I have seen on TripAdvisor, yes, the room key cards do get demagnetized quite frequently. One tip we were given, was not to keep the key card next to your cell phone in your pocket or purse, although my husband’s key card still got de-activated once or twice after that anyway.

Use of the Wi-Fi at the hotel is free. At the start of our stay, we found it to be quite sluggish, but after the first couple of days someone must have made an adjustment, because then we found that it had sped up considerably.

The free breakfast at the hotel was quite good, except for the hot round eggs, which were tasteless. But you have plenty of other choices, including hard-boiled eggs, bacon or sausage, mini bagels and mini muffins, toast, butter, jelly, cream cheese, & pastries. The make-your-own-waffles station was very popular, and you may have to stand in a short line to use one of the two waffle irons. (It takes 3 minutes to cook one waffle). On weekdays, breakfast food is no longer available after 9:30 AM, which is a bit early for us since we are not early risers. However, I did make it downstairs in time for breakfast most of the mornings I was there. By the time I came downstairs (8:30 or 9 AM) the free USA Today newspapers that are kept by the front desk were all gone. You really have to be an early bird at this hotel!

Be advised that the guest laundry room on the second floor only has one washer and one dryer. You need quarters to operate them. An inconsiderate guest who had the washer ahead of us, was not there when the washer stopped, so we had to wait extra time for it. We were considerate and made sure that we were there when our load stopped washing.

As I said, overall, we did like this hotel and would stay here again since the location and value fit our needs.

Room Tip: It is quieter at night in rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you! Your review of our hotel was very detailed, I am sure anyone traveling to our hotel would appreciate your review as I have. Please make sure to stay with us again if you travel back to our area and again, thank you.

Been to Comfort Suites Sawgrass? Share your experiences!