“We would stay here again” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Tamarac
NJ
“We would stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 6 nights in March 2013. Overall, we liked the hotel, and the location was perfect for our needs. Within a few blocks, you will find a Walgreens drugstore, a Publix Supermarket, 7-Eleven stores, gas stations, and Cheddars Restaurant, (which we liked), among other places. The hotel is located near University Drive, which has plenty of stores and restaurants along it, especially if you head a few miles north on it, to the town of Coral Springs.
For the first night, which was a Friday night, we were given a room at the front of the hotel, facing Commercial Blvd. There were no drapes at the window, only shutters, which did not keep out the noise. We found the traffic noise to be intolerable, especially when trucks & motorcycles went by, which was often. Also, there was a rowdy group of people staying at the hotel who made a lot of noise, both outside in the parking lot and in the hallways. I called the night clerk and asked if the folks in the parking lot could be asked to quiet down, and she took care of it. The noisy folks were gone by Sunday, and then we found the hotel to be a lot quieter after that, which we greatly appreciated.
On Saturday, we asked to be moved to a room at the back of the hotel, and as soon as a room there was vacated & cleaned, we were re-assigned. We moved into a newly-renovated, spacious and clean room on the fourth (top) floor. The room faced the rear parking lot of the hotel, which is generally quieter and less-used than the front parking lot. Heavy drapes blocked out noise and light. We were much happier, and slept much better, in the new room, which had a sofa and a lightweight coffee table along with the 2 comfortable queen-size beds.
We found that the swimming pool, also located at the back of the hotel, was clean and hardly used, at least with the cooler weather we had during our stay. We had been concerned about hearing a lot of noise from the pool area, but that was not the case during our stay.

The cleaning staff did an excellent job in our room. I can’t say as much for the public Ladies Room off the lobby. It was frequently out of toilet paper or low on it, and needs more attention than it gets.
My husband likes a very hot shower, and his only complaint was that he did not get enough hot water. The water pressure was good, and I found the hot water supply to be adequate for my own needs.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the excellent & cheerful customer service we received from the 2 evening desk attendants, Shareil and Nicole. We made several requests of them during our stay, including the move to the new room. Both of these ladies were helpful, friendly and had great customer-service skills. It was a pleasure to interact with them. I hope their manager realizes what wonderful employees they are.

In response to other comments I have seen on TripAdvisor, yes, the room key cards do get demagnetized quite frequently. One tip we were given, was not to keep the key card next to your cell phone in your pocket or purse, although my husband’s key card still got de-activated once or twice after that anyway.

Use of the Wi-Fi at the hotel is free. At the start of our stay, we found it to be quite sluggish, but after the first couple of days someone must have made an adjustment, because then we found that it had sped up considerably.

The free breakfast at the hotel was quite good, except for the hot round eggs, which were tasteless. But you have plenty of other choices, including hard-boiled eggs, bacon or sausage, mini bagels and mini muffins, toast, butter, jelly, cream cheese, & pastries. The make-your-own-waffles station was very popular, and you may have to stand in a short line to use one of the two waffle irons. (It takes 3 minutes to cook one waffle). On weekdays, breakfast food is no longer available after 9:30 AM, which is a bit early for us since we are not early risers. However, I did make it downstairs in time for breakfast most of the mornings I was there. By the time I came downstairs (8:30 or 9 AM) the free USA Today newspapers that are kept by the front desk were all gone. You really have to be an early bird at this hotel!

Be advised that the guest laundry room on the second floor only has one washer and one dryer. You need quarters to operate them. An inconsiderate guest who had the washer ahead of us, was not there when the washer stopped, so we had to wait extra time for it. We were considerate and made sure that we were there when our load stopped washing.

As I said, overall, we did like this hotel and would stay here again since the location and value fit our needs.

Room Tip: It is quieter at night in rooms at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TheresaC876, General Manager at Comfort Suites Sawgrass, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you! Your review of our hotel was very detailed, I am sure anyone traveling to our hotel would appreciate your review as I have. Please make sure to stay with us again if you travel back to our area and again, thank you.

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We only stayed one night here. The staff seemed friendly. Not a fancy hotel but, for a night or two- the price was right. Generous breakfast bar- again nothing extravagent but, certainly enough to get us going in the morning. Has a workout room and pool.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 311. It was clean & a generous size. The only downfall is that it backs up t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TheresaC876, General Manager at Comfort Suites Sawgrass, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time out to write a review of our property. We are always working hard to try to improve our hotel and service for our guests. I do hope you will continue to stay with us when you travel to our area.
Portsmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently stayed here 18 Jan-20 Jan 2013 when visiting my folks, since it was about two miles from their place.
Upon checking in had room keys problems, that the confused front desk couldn't figure out. That was the last time I had eye contact, or a glimpse of a smile from them, or any other worker in this hotel.
Each time I approached the desk, whether to ask directions, to inquire of a toiletry(there is a note in the room to ask for one if you forgot yours) I was met with unfriendliness, abrupt answers and the worse offender... the scowling overnight lady. She had a cruel look to her, think an 1880's English prison matron, I expected to be locked in solitary by her.
Overall, the free breakfast was bland, no meats or potatoes, and seemed as though made several days before.The room was fair to good, with an old TV, a loud AC, but a king size bed.
The two good things about the property? across the street is a gas station with lots of out of town papers, with the fellow there quite engaging, and the real gem..... about 1/2 mile away a wonderful liquor store run by An Indian gentleman from the the Islands! His collection of spirits is wonderful, and offers tastes! If going to Tamarac, or Coral Springs research first, or perhaps the general manager can introduce customer service to her unhappy staff!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was affordable. I had no trouble checking in and my room was spacious and clean. The breakfast in the morning is always warm and tastes fresh. When I left to the mall and caemback, my room was cleaned and nothing had been taken, unlike some past hotel experiences.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Worcester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed at the Comfort Suites during first business trip to Coral Springs so wasn't sure of the correct location to be in. The hotel was OK - clean room, bathroom etc and the stay friendly. The only bar/restaurant nearby is Cheddars, which is ok for a quick beer and burger. Other than that there is little else around. If you want to be closer to more bars and restaurants then you need to be on Universal Drive, closer to The Walk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time out to write a review of our property. I do hope you will stay with us again when you travel back to our area.
Poughkeepsie, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I always read reviews before booking a hotel so I was surprised by all the good reviews when my stay was not. I would say the only good thing about my stay was the comfortable bed and pillows. Was I given the last room on the floor? It had to be. The lobby was beautiful but my room looked so run down. The door was all scratched up as if an animal clawed at it. The air conditioning was so noisy, I had to shut if off. The grout in the bathroom was black and wallpaper was peeling. The shower handle was so loose, it was hard to keep it in place to take a hot shower. Breakfast was not too bad, but not enough choices in my opinion. I've stayed in many Comfort Suites before, but this one was the worst. I was only there for one night due to coming here for a funeral and I knew I would not be the room for too long so I dealt with it. But if I ever have to come this way again, I know I will not be staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TheresaC876, General Manager at Comfort Suites Sawgrass, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I must first apologize for any inconvience you experienced while a guest at our hotel but at the same time I also feel the need to inquire as to what room you were in. You seemed to have had many issues in one room for one night that It has caused much concern for me. We have been working very hard to renovate our rooms so our guests are happy with their stay and I am so sorry you did not experience that. I will say that I do hope you will choose to give us another opportunity to be of service to you should you travel to our area again.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to let us know how we are doing.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Suites and Mainstay Suites for a few days in October. I found out they were under new management and undergoing renovations to their property. The rooms were newly renovated and very clean and comfortable. The hallways had new carpeting and newly painted walls. I saw staff cleaning the carpets and common areas on a daily basis. The day I checked-in they were finsihing the flooring in the laundry room (Comfort Suites) and it looked great when it was done. They were uprooting old trees and putting new ones. The renovated hotel looks great and the staff were exceptional - they were very friendly and always wanted to help. This property should have a four and a half star rating if not five based on recent reviews. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you , thank you, for not only recognizing all of our hard work and efforts to make your stay a great one, but especially for taking the time out to let us know that. We will always be working hard to continue to improve our hotel to make your stay with us as pleasant and comfortable as possible. I can only hope that you will always allow us to be of service to you should you travel back to our area in the future.

Been to Comfort Suites Sawgrass? Share your experiences!