“Simply Horrific” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 59 hotels in Tallahassee
Michigan
“Simply Horrific”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

The staff people were friendly, but that is the only really positive thing I can say about this hotel, besides the location, which is very convenient to the downtown business district.

I stayed there in late March for business, and here is what I observed:

- Elevators were extremely slow and always jam-packed with crowds of people who had waited up to 20 minutes at a time.

- Restaurant food was very bad. The bar is OK, and the bartender lady was very nice, though.

- Way overpriced - paid $229/night for a horrific experience.

- Parking garage is right next to several hotel rooms, I felt extremely sorry for those people staying on the third floor, where they get a view of a car parked outside their window.

- Conference room and meeting facilities were just totally inadequate.

- After being gone from my room most of the day for business, I returned at 5pm to the room being in the exact condition in which I left it - housekeeping didn't even show up, and it wasn't like I had the privacy sign on my door or anything.

- Fitness center - they have like three machines in there and it is the size of a phone booth.

- Everything in the hotel is outdated. I felt like I was staying in some Stalin-era government building in the old Soviet Union.

Horrific

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — virtually everything, poor hygiene
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

643 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Annandale, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

I was booked here by my travel agent when I got stuck overnight in Tallahassee, FL due to cancelled flights. Upon my arrival, the front desk staff was indifferent and ill-informed. Since I was travelling alone, I decided to grab a bite to eat at the hotel. I had a salad that was awful and decided to forgo the rest of the meal. I went on the Internet and found a restaurant nearby called Harry's Bar & Grill. It specializes in Creole cuisine and the food was fantastic. The crowd was mostly yuppie state government employees. There was a decidedly "alternative lifestyle" feel to the place, to the point where it got a little uncomfortable. Back to the hotel. The rooms were large and fairly well furnished. TV's only get about 10 stations. Wake up call did not arrive in the AM. This is becoming a chronic problem at hotels these days. Overall, the experience was disappointing, as I normally have great stays at most Doubletree hotels. The best part of the visit was definitely the warm cookie at check-in, but this does not justify the price of the hotel.

Stayed March 2007
Barrington, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

I stayed at this hotel twice in the past year. The location is convenient if you're in town for business with the State. I think you pay a premium for the location. On my first trip, I had to call the hotel 3 times before the hotel shuttle picked me up at the airport. Breakfast was horrible. I ordered eggs benedict which I had to send back because the dish was not edible. Andrew's down the street is a good choice for lunch. I stayed in a newly renovated room which was nice. Unfortunately, the wrong shower fixture was installed during the renovation process so I had to call the front desk and wait for hotel staff to replace the shower fixture before I could shower in the morning.

I was very disappointed after my first stay at this hotel. It wasn't as bad the second time because I arrived with low expectations. Both of my trips were for business so location was more important to me than service or value. I will consider staying at this hotel again if business takes me to Tallahassee. I would probably stay elsewhere if I'm in town for leisure.

Stayed March 2006
Ormond Beach, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2006

The only positive about this hotel is the location (near the Capitol, etc.) and one very nice bellman who was very helpful. Everyone else was surly or unhelpful. My room was so noisy (whistling pipe sound that continued all night long), and so were my friends'. We got no sleep whatsoever.

I tried entering two different rooms before I finally got one, on my third attempt, that was unoccupied. Numerous other people came to the front desk saying the same exact thing. No one cared.

I am not sure the convenience is a big enough factor to warrant staying here. Next time, I will just drive and park.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

Had business in downtown Tallahasse - Stayed one night. Hotel is convenient to state bldgs. Nice view from Upper floor ( 13), Bed was very comfortable. The toilet paper in the bowl when I walked in; and the ant that crawled out of the Hotel menu when I opened it should have tippped me off. Hotel is pretty worn down - general stains on carpeting and walls throughout. There was some type of large, free-standing, constantly (loudly) running dehumidifier in my room. Put that next to a fairly loud AC and you get either loud, cool dry room or a warm, humid, moldy-smelling room - pick one. Very small gym 1 cross trainer, 1 treadmill, 1 bike, small universal. Ugly pool in the middle of a 4th floor parking lot. I borrowed a modem from the front desk and was charged $100. They did not remove the $100 from the bill when I checked out. It took three calls and a threat to the manager before it got removed. So triple-check your bill before you leave. Cool Grindz next door is a nice little coffee shop and Andrew's Capitol Grill is 2 blocks down the street - both decent and reasonably priced.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Errors on bill
  • Tips/Secrets — Triple-check your bill before you leave.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2006

I was there for a conference. Stayed 5 nights. Toilet was broken the whole time. I was tired of complaining, so the last 3 days i took the lid from the toilet tank and placed it on the floor and flushed by manually pulling the flapper. So much for water conservation, toilet ran all the time except when I turned it off the valve. This was the 3rd room for me. The 1st wreaked with smoke, the 2nd was next to the elevator and listened to that all night.
Others in my group had problems also: Checked into dirty rooms, elevator noise, and occupied rooms. Our event coordinator complained everyday and got no results either. The staff, including the manager could care less. I never even got an apology. There was even more examples of extremely poor service from personnel, but I am tired of complaining about this hotel. Hilton should ashamed. They need to clean house, starting at the top.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

The rooms are clearly in better shape than they used to be. We found ours to be clean, comfortable, and the view of the Federal Courthouse was nice. A minor complaint (my partner probably wouldn't call it minor as it woke him up throughout the night) is that the air conditioner in the room doesn't allow you to run the fan continuously with the A/C. You have to choose either A/C or fan. The A/C clicks on frequently, making a bit of noise. Light sleepers will have trouble with this, if they want a cool room at night. The staff at the front desk were pleasant but not particularly well informed. They couldn't provide much information about the downtown area, nor did they direct me to the visitor's center, which I found on my own. It's only two blocks away from the hotel and had plenty of maps, brochures, etc. The restaurant food was good, though I eat vegan and there was little to nothing on the menu that worked for me. We made a meal out of sides and a house salad, which turned out to be very good and more than enough to fill us up. We called the front desk on our first morning to report that we had no regular coffee in the room and were told that the hotel had none because it was on back-order. We were invited to come downstairs and get coffee for ourselves. We had regular coffee in the room the next morning but it tasted like dirty water. There is a coffee shop next door, just beside the entrance to the parking garage, that's quite good. My partner reported that the workout room is half the size of a guest room and feels like a closet. Given that we would want to rent a car to get around the city anyway, the central location isn't enough to make us stay here again. We'd look elsewhere next time we visit.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree Hotel Tallahassee? Share your experiences!