“Good location, good service, but bedbugs in my first room!” 2 of 5 stars

University Inn & Suites Tallahassee
691 West Tennesee Street, Tallahassee, FL 32304   |
Ranked #45 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
New York
“Good location, good service, but bedbugs in my first room!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I really wanted to like this place since it was right by campus and a great price. The customer service was good--very friendly staff in the lobby. Each room has a fridge and a microwave, free wifi and a desk. It right there on the edge of campus so it couldn't be easier to get to FSU!

HOWEVER, I awoke at 2am the first night itching and saw some bedbugs on my pillow!! I had about a dozen bites and immediately requested to be moved to a new room. The gentleman in the office obliged immediately, refunded my room for that night, and apologized again when I checked out. I haven't seen anything else about bedbugs on here so I hope it's an isolated incident, but be cautious!! My colleague in a different room didn't have any problem and my second room seemed bug-free.

Beware on the weekends that there are some noisy bars nearby so this may not be for you if you're a light sleeper. Additionally the rooms are pretty thin so I could hear somebody snoring in the next room!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for a visit to FSU. It's located on the edge of campus so it's convenient to walk. The rooms are dark and somewhat dirty. The bathrooms were not clean. Yes it's cheap but I will stay somewhere else if I come back.

• Stayed November 2012
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

The room is very decently priced. For 60 bucks a night, you get to be right on FSU's campus. The sheets were clean, and so was the bathroom. The maid service comes once a day, but won't come back later if you turned it down the first time. However, the staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. When I needed help unloading my stuff from a cab, a maid offered me her laundry cart so that I could take my stuff easier up the elevator which I thought was really nice. The manager is a really nice guy and was very helpful when I needed to have stuff faxed and asked me about my stay. The room is very basic, it's exactly that, a room, nothing fancy. I guess my only complaint would be that room key would keep getting unactivated, but when I took it to the office they fixed it right away. If you're with a family, be prepared for the noise across from the strip, because you can hear the music late into the night! It made my move a lot less stressful.

Room Tip: If you can spring for it, get a suite :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Largo, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel the night before FSU preview. I booked for two nights, but left after one. The beds had food and unidentified black particles between the sheets. The bathroom was vile, curly hair stuck all over everything, and what appeared to be jam smeared on the walls. We were afraid to touch anything! I asked for another room, but the hotel was full, so they sent a maid up to change the sheets. Then she sprayed a clear liquid on an old towel and wiped down the toilet first, THEN the sink and faucet, THEN the bathroom light switch. HORRIFYING!! My daughter and I huddled together in one bed and hoped not to be carried away in the night by roaches... I will never try to save money on a hotel room in Tallahassee again... Take my advice, shell out the money for a decent hotel (or update your tetanus shot before you go)...

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have stayed here before so I was pretty sure it was still a decent place to stay in Tallahassee. This hotel is located pretty much on the campus of Florida State University but directly across the street from the main entertainment district so it can be loud until the early morning. If you are looking for a family place with serenity don't stay here. If you are out and about and just need a place to rest then it's great, with great rates and clean rooms.
I recently stayed two nights. The first night was difficult as I could not get the A/C to function correctly. After a restless night, I visited the lobby in the morning and expalined what happened. They (I think it was the owner) said they would replace the A/C unit. I thought "yeah, right." BUT when I returned late in the evening the room was comfortable and indeed they had put a new unit in. I had a great night sleep even with the music of the club across Tennessee Street.
Since I was also on crutches I also had asked for a first floor room (there is no elevator) and late arrival. Indeed I got a first floor room and there wasn't much business so the late arrival was no issue
Very pleased and will def stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "corner" are best for noise levels.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed there on a Wed eve, April 4th. I checked in a little early with no issues. Room was clean and good sized. stayed on first floor not far from office. I walked over to FSU library which is 3-4 minute walk. You cannot beat this location if you wanna be close to campus. Across the street is a McDonalds and a deli which was GREAT. I would have no issue staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cairo, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was allowed an early check in, which was great. Ran in the room real quick it was warm so I made sure the air was turned up so it would be cool when I got back. Went out for the afternoon, it was a hot day, did a lot of walking and was looking forward to getting back to the room and cooling off. Upon opening the door it was hotter in the room than outside in the sun. I called the front desk and somebody arrived quickly to check it, I was impressed, she felt the air said something that I did not understand I told her that is was not working that the room was hot she said ok and walked out. I waited and waited nothing else happened. I went to the front desk and the clerk told me that it was reported that everything was working fine. I told her that it was not the room was still hot and the air was not working. She advised me that the only rooms that I could move to were smoking rooms but that I could go check them. She made me keys to two different rooms and I went and checked them and they smelled pretty bad. I decided that I could stand the heat better than the smell and decided not to move. She said she would check with management about discounting the room since the air didn't work. The next morning when I asked about it the clerk on duty at the time told me that there would be no discount because they had rooms that I could have moved to. I told her that I was in non smoking and the only rooms that were available to move to were smoking rooms and they smelled. She then asked how I knew that when I had refused to even go check the rooms. I explained to her that the clerk had given me to keys and I had checked them. She again said that the clerk the day before had told them that I refused to check the rooms. To which I told her that that was not true. She said that she would check with the clerk that evening and contact me later by phone or e-mail. Well two days later and the only response I have gotten is a full amount charged on my credit card. Which I am not surprised about at all considering the way it was handled.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to University Inn & Suites Tallahassee? Share your experiences!