“HUGE Disapointment!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 59 hotels in Tallahassee
Chicago, Illinois
“HUGE Disapointment!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I was excited to arrive after browsing their website. However, things went wrong from the beginning.

The room felt cheap and small/poorly laid out. The website shows pictures of chic, high quality rooms. The truth was a low quality room made to look chic on the surface. The bathroom was also very, very small. It had no counter space or shelves whatsoever. It was just the sink, the toilet, and the shower closely packed together.

When we were gathering our things to leave, we discovered a pair of mens boxer shorts and a sock under the bed that did not belong to us! I immediately called the front desk and the girl offered a short, half-hearted apology. A week later, I wrote to thte mananger about this and he never responded. Most of the employees acted snobbish in general.

In general, you don't get what you pay for and they try to nickel and dime you for anything and everything (ie overnight parking). And forget what they advertise; they have NO sense of customer service!

Save your money for a place that worth it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

326 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I didn't have high expectations considering the city, but the hotel and staff met and exceeded my expectations.
First, I was most impressed by the service. The staff is professional and ready to help with anything. We were running late, and would be arriving after room service closed (and good luck finding a good late night meal in town). We called ahead, they read us the menu over the phone, arranged for dinner to be waiting in our room, and were very nice in making the arrangements. I expected to just find a tray in the room. Instead, dinner was laid out, the ice bucket was filled with ice and tongs provided, the water was in the fridge, the bed turned down, etc. Very impressive. The food was also really good. I would return to the restaurant even if here on a day trip.
The room was also great. High quality fixtures and carpet. I saw the other review about the sink not having space, but I didn't have a problem at all. There was room around the sink and a shelf below, as well. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, and the chaise lounge in the room was great. The fridge was actually empty for use, instead of filled with minibar junk. The rooms were not bright, but that wasn't a problem as there were plenty of lamps and lights. The decor was much nicer in person than in photographs. I don't like red at all, and our red decor room was beautiful and relaxing.
The location was also very convenient to everything in Tallahassee. Yes, it's difficult to turn off Monroe into the hotel, but traffic here is a pain generally.
I was very impressed with the service and quality of the hotel. We will certainly be returning!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

I really enjoyed staying at Hotel Duval. My wife and I loved the room and its view of the city. The location is a little tough to get into, but it's so beautiful inside. The food was pretty good as well. We first had breakfast at LeRoc Cafe in the little lobby area, and then we had lunch their too. The Pressed Tuscan was really good, and I would highly recommend that to first timers. We didn't eat dinner in Shula's, but we did walk inside, and we were impressed how amazing it looked. The guest service was amazing. They made sure we were taken care of and that all our needs were met. All-in-all, we enjoyed ourselves and we would recommend Hotel Duval to our friends.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Dark lighting, loud ambient music, and a touchscreen computer for room service and maintenance are all very well, but when housekeeping is bad, the river rock shower floor doesn't count for much. The second day I was there, housekeeping didn't take away a room service glass; the third day they left a dirty rag in the sink, and I discovered, when opening the fridge to put some leftovers away, that the leftovers from a previous guest were still in the fridge; the fourth day, they didn't clean my room at all. My first night there, I had to call maintenance to replace a burned out bulb in the bedside lamp and had to send back my room service order of "Wild Mushroom Ravioli" because the dish was 4 pieces of ravioli atop a mound of shredded beef (not in the menu description). Any one of these things would have been no big deal, but all together they made for a less than welcoming experience at this self-styled boutique hotel.
A couple of other downsides were a river rock shower floor that really felt like river rocks-- painful. And the shower, though stylish, was leaky enough to totally soak the bath mat with each use. Add loud disco music in the elevator, and two copies of a nude woman bathed in red and wearing nothing but a garter belt in the shuttle area and one had to wonder about the hotel's stylist and priorities. The rooms, if mine is any indication, do not have bath tubs. The sink is the size of a large mixing bowl, and there is minimal counter space. In the evening it was difficult to call down to the front desk, and when one called the suggested extensions, one got re-routed to the recording with the suggested extensions. Though there is a spa advertised on the ICE menu, at the time I was there there was no spa.
The good things: VERY comfortable bed and a wonderful, friendly, young and helpful if not always professionally trained staff (except for housekeeping). Room service food, with the exception of the "Wild Mushroom Ravioli" dish, was quite good for my three dinners and one breakfast. The hotel is about a $5 cab ride to the center of Florida State University. Business center is open 24 hours and has a super fast printer.
This apparently is a new hotel that extensively renovated an older, shabbier hotel. My advice: less attention to trying to promote an air of a stylish boutique hotel and pay more attention to training housekeeping staff and ensuring your guests' comfort in their rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Duval for one night in Feb 2010 while in Tallahassee on business. What an interesting place. I would describe the interior as art deco. Very unique. The front staff was very friendly and offered me a complimentary bottle of cold water while I was checking in. Most other places you'd have to pay $4 or $5. The room itself was very nice and clean. There was a 46" flat panel television on one wall, and a touchscreen computer on the desk to utilize the hotel services or surf the internet. All the accouterments of a typical business hotel were available in the room - hair dryer, ironing board, coffee maker (though I don't drink coffee), even a luxurious robe (which I didn't use but it looked nice). The bed was comfortable and I especially like the fact that the window shades were very dark and the room was quiet. The location is convenient to the downtown area - it's just a half mile or so north of the Capitol Building. All in all, this is a great hotel and the room rate was only $129. Very good value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

Recent business trip took me to Tallahassee and I really knew nothing about this city. It's really not hard to get in and out of airport and around town, and I found this hotel downtown pretty central to all my business appointments for the week. I travel frequently and I know when a hotel is not my style, but this one is roomy, internet, desk, etc. so it was great for me. Found out after checking in that they are brand new so it is very clean and all the staff tries really hard to go out their way to make you welcome. I liked the lobby cafe, great spot to catch up on email, drink coffee, etc. I didn't know until afterwards that they have a shuttle or I would not have rented a car. Would definitely recommend, especially if doing business in or around downtown Capitol.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Frankly, I'm not sure I can recall the things I didn't like...I kept thinking I need to write the various things down. It is NOT for the business traveler. My guess is they are trying to appeal to the "twentysomething" crowd...you know that crowd that has lots of money to spend! My room was tiny, and seemed to get smaller with each passing day. The menu items for breakfast was scant, basically carbs and coffee. The staff were plesant but seemed VERY inexperienced mostly "twentysomethings"...don't get me wrong I have nothing against "twentysomethings" but their training could have been better I think. The water took forever to get hot and the sink was just a sink...no room to place any tolitries and oh yeah, only one small bar of soap that I had to share between sink and shower. The only parking is $12 per night valet...I was told there were some parking spots on the street but I was concerned for the safety of my car. My impression is that someone, or several someones, have made quite an investment in this place and if I were them I'd be quite worried. I am a 28 year veteran of the road and am always looking for something new and different and clean. I found a clean place....i just hope they are open long enought to show some wear at some point.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!