“Amazing hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tallahassee, Florida
“Amazing hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We used Hotel Duval as a room block for our wedding, and also hosted our rehearsal dinner there. Our guests were so impressed with the service! Every employee we encountered was helpful and courteous. We were so happy with our rehearsal dinner - the ballroom was elegant and the view of the city was gorgeous! We had a lot of help with planning our menu, and the food was amazing! The rooms were nice, clean and a little swanky. One friend even commented, "We're not fancy enough for a hotel like this!" Of course, the bathroom privacy can be interesting (sliding frosted glass doors), but there are other bathrooms on property to use if you are feeling bashful. None of our guests seemed to be bothered by it. We still hear guests raving about what a great stay they had at Hotel Duval. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Each floor has a different color scheme and scent, which is kind of fun! The lower level rooms will...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sarah K, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear jotravels86,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are so happy that you chose Hotel Duval as the venue to host your rehearsal dinner and the hotel of choice for your wedding guests. It gives us such great pride to hear that our staff delivered superb service as we continually strive to provide the ultimate guest experience! Again, thank you for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Quick review: This is a great hotel for any occasion. The roof top bar is expensive but a great atmosphere. I would definitely stay again.

Full Review: I was in Tallahassee for a wedding. My friends and I decided to stay at the Hotel Duval. Upon arrival, I was greeted by the valet attendant and proceeded to check in. I was unfortunately not given a room upgrade with my elite status but did receive breakfast vouchers.

We were in a corner room with a king bed. The room was a good size and the bed was extremely comfortable. A few negatives as the other reviewers have stated, the room smelled a little musty but nothing unbearable, the soap leaves a slimy feel to the touch, and the room was a little humid but it is Florida. These are all nit picky problems and did not affect my stay at all.

The hotel is located within walking distance to multiple restaurants which was very convenient. We enjoyed breakfast at the bistro twice and the waitress provided excellent service! Even for our party of 11 people.

Both evenings of our stay, we finished our nights with drinks at the roof top bar. The drinks were a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. The view is great and the atmosphere was even better.

I'd like to thank Jermaine! He help me book a room last minute for the bride and groom who ended up staying with us at the hotel unexpectedly. He was very friendly and accommodating to our requests. This is the kind of service you expect at a top notch hotel!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarah K, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear David M.,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Duval. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Level 8 Rooftop bar. It is a wonderful place to savor a fine cocktail and take in a beautiful view of the city. We hope that you will come to Hotel Duval again soon to enjoy all that we have to offer.

Gardiner, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My boyfriend, sister, and I decided to stay at Hotel Duval for one night because we had an early flight from Tallahassee. We thought that "Tallahassee's Only Boutique Hotel" would have personality, and we were looking forward to it being the last part of a mini-vacation to Florida.

On arrival, the staff were friendly and the lobby was nicely decorated. However, first inspection of the room led to the first of many disappointments. We knew from other reviews that the rooms had a strange layout, with the bathroom as being part of the room. It was a little worse than I was expecting. The glass doors did not fully close in the corner and were transparent enough that they offered no privacy. Also, there was no working fan in the bathroom. The only "scent experience" we experienced was that of the smell of each other's trips to the bathroom. That combined with the dampness (from no working fan) made the whole visit a drag.

But wait...it gets worse. The morning that we left, my boyfriend took a shower. He accidentally dropped his washcloth on the floor and reached to pick it up. Fortunately, he noticed that the cloth had several writhing black worms on it before continuing to use it. These larva must be thriving in the consistently damp rooms and among the little black stones of the shower floor. To say the least, we were appalled.

We left the hotel before management staff was on duty, but when we reached a layover at the Atlanta airport, I tried to call the hotel to report what we had experienced that morning. Time after time, no one answered the phone. When I did get a hold of a front desk staff member, they put me on hold for fifteen minutes and I hung up.

I had decided to forget about the whole thing, until my boyfriend noticed that he had been charged twice for our wonderful stay at the Hotel Duval (once by Priceline and once by the hotel, themselves). The hotel staff was helpful with the refund but seemed unperturbed when my boyfriend told them about the worms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sarah K, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear 960ARen960 –

It is with my deepest sincerity that I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. These conditions are clearly unacceptable and we are taking your observations seriously. We are currently conducting an inspection of every single shower and will thoroughly investigate any signs of such issues. I assure you that addressing these concerns will be our number one priority.

Please contact me directly to further discuss this issue.

Ball Ground, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I tagged along on hubbys business trip for one night & stayed at Hotel Duval. Very sleek lobby - we were offered water bottles upon check in. Valet guys are so nice and friendly! They also had a Marriott Reward Members reception with free drinks & apps. Room was nice and had "modern" decor. Modern as in dark wood ikea looking furniture, but done right & cute. As for the frosted bathroom door (as others reviewed) that is a bit weird, even for us older married couples. But overall a great room, and very well kept.
Had Dinner at Shula's inside hotel- Very expensive compared to the cost of the room. But we knew that so were not shocked. Started with the Ahi Tuna app - Awesome!, Shared the Porterhouse steak and sides w/hubby (we had a late lunch anyway) Was awesome!! Ordered a bottle of whine (Malbec) to round out dinner. Only came to about $101 before tip. Great Service as well - Our waiter - Christian - was very professional but had a great personality - and did not snub us when said we were going to share a plate as some high end steakhouses do "frown" upon that:)
The rooftop lounge was was nice to have a glass of wine and enjoy outside evening with hubby. Well that was until we realized it was :Ladies night" and they had free cosmos for any girl after 10. And by any girl I mean young girls flooded the place for free drinks. really did not want to spend rest of night with a bunch of college girls (obviously not staying at hotel - locals) looking for free drinks so we left.
The free breakfast coupon we though was just going to be continental as it stated on it but ended up being - Eggs, ham or bacon, toast, potatoes, and juice. Perfect - was great food! Again service was outstanding!
Asked for a late check out while hubby was at meeting and that was so easy - Again Great service at Front desk. Very sophisticated feeling hotel for an affordable rate!

Bottom Line - GREAT SERVICE, nice rooms, and a very pleasant stay! Would def stay again! Great Job Hotel Duval!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 321 - Corner with two windows - 3rd floor - was very nice!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kelly B –

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of Hotel Duval.

We are certainly glad you got to join your husband on his work trip! It sounds like you had an all around wonderful guest experience, which is always our goal.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We look forward to the next time you have an opportunity to visit Hotel Duval!

Longwood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

While in Tallahassee, Fl. last weekend, we were lucky enough to book a room at the Hotel Duval. From the beginning with the valet parking, to the delicious breakfast at LeRoc Bistro the next morning, I must say this is one of the most comfortable hotels I've ever stayed at. Our room was a suite, with a lovely sitting area, and an amazing duel head shower! The sleeping area was very cool, the bed extremely comfortable, and very quiet during the night. Our breakfast at LeRoc was very good, service was excellent! We were even given a cup of Starbucks coffee to go! I would highly recommend Hotel Duval to anyone visiting Tallahassee, FL.

Room Tip: The suite was very nice!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear njwebb81 –

Thank you so much taking the time to review our property and for your kind words. Our staff strives to deliver an excellent guest experience to every person who enters Hotel Duval.

Again, thank you for choosing Hotel Duval and we look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I recently came to Tallahassee to visit some friends and had the absolute pleasure of staying at Hotel Duval. I have always heard great things about the hotel, but experiencing it first hand was out of this world! I have to start with the staff. I have stayed at many hotels across the country and I don't think I have ever met a friendlier and enthusiastic group of people. Their passion for hospitality was easy to see. Next the room. I loved everything about it. The colors, the design. A+. Finally the food. I had the pleasure of eating at both Shula's and Leroc. Best steak and best burger I have ever had. I also was able to make it up to Level 8 for a drink and loved the atmosphere, set up and bartenders. Next time I make it up to Tallahassee, I will definitely be returning to Hotel Duval!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Gatornews26 -

Thank you so much for the outstanding review of our property. We are very happy to hear how much you enjoyed the different aspects of Hotel Duval.

We look forward to your next visit and thank you for choosing Hotel Duval!

Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

After reading about this hotel, we could not wait for our vacation to come! However, after driving seven hours, we walked into one BIG disappointment. To begin - we tried calling during our commute to let the staff know we would be a late arrival; it literally took 30 minutes before someone finally answered my phone call and put me at ease. We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a valet who assured us a bellman would meet us in the lobby to take our luggage up... we learned that there was no bellman on duty as the front desk agent (from Miami, whose name I regretfully cannot recall although I think it may have been Samantha) rudely told us to push the cart up to the room ourselves and then leave it outside the door. How is it possible that staff cannot communicate well enough to know who is currently on-site and who isn't? My friend and I also requested a high floor and were put on level 2... when we asked if there was a higher floor, the wonderfully hostile front desk agent informed us that they have a room available on 4 but they "don't consider that a high floor"... TWO is higher than FOUR. Aside from that, we never received the dental kit we requested twice or the robe (mind you, those were three SEPARATE occasions). The only helpful staff members were the valet Chris who informed us about local pools & radio stations we could listen to, and the bellman from Miami who was also a gem and assisted us with our room move (the fragrances are so strong on every floor we had trouble breathing with certain scents). For being a Marriott property and the only "upscale" boutique hotel in Tallahassee, it was a complete JOKE as far as service was concerned. The property itself is beautiful and in a GREAT central location, but that staff is their downfall. Knock them out one by one - they are your weakest link!

Room Tip: Request a HIGH FLOOR and remind them that level 4 is still higher than level 2! Also - be careful of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Sarah K, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Victoria –

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all feedback and take these concerns into consideration while making improvements to Hotel Duval.

I am so sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.
We strive to provide friendly and attentive service in hopes that every person who enters our hotel will have wonderful guest experience. The service issues you mentioned will be addressed. In regards to the phone issue, please know that we are in the process of implementing a new phone system, which will allow us to provide the best phone customer service possible.

We are so sorry to hear that you felt the fragrances on the floors were too strong. We have dialed back the fragrance levels to the lightest setting possible.

I am happy to hear that you were pleased with Chris from valet and will forward on your compliments to him.

If your travels bring you back to this area in the future, I hope you will give us another try. We appreciate your business and will do anything we can to regain your trust. Please contact me directly if I may ever assist you with anything.

Marketing Manager

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!