“Hotel Duval- a sparkling gem stands out in Tally town” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #19 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Miami
“Hotel Duval- a sparkling gem stands out in Tally town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was told this was the "best hotel in Tallahassee", which no offense to Tallahassee, isn't saying much. My preferred home in Tally Town is the Governor's Inn, but it has no exercise room, restaurant, or room service, so my husband decided to try this "boutique" hotel for a recent visit. While prepared to be disappointed, I was actually pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable our stay here was. Valet Parking is the only option if you drive, at $12 a night. Check in was easy and painless. Rooms here were $150 a night (plus taxes), about $20 more than staying with the Governor. Our room, #227, was at the end of the hall, facing the street and very quiet. The room was quite large, decorated nicely, with a desk area, mini fridge, coffee maker and blow dryer. Our queen bed was large enough and comfortable, with a comforter (not a cheap polyester bedspread) and not too fat pillows. The bathroom has a sliding frosted door to the toilet and shower. The glass sink, while cool-looking, left little room for our stuff; a shelf hanging nearbyhelped with storage of toiletries and make-up. The shower had a rain-style showerhead, with black rocks on the shower floor providing a mini massage for the feet. The rooms were cleaned promptly and an ice and soda machine were nearby. On our first night, we had drinks at Level 8, a club/bar on the roof which offers a lovely view of Tallahassee and a DJ spinning tunes. The front desk staff and valets were all very friendly and helpful. There is a place to get breakfast and lunch (Le Roc) in the lobby, with Starbucks coffee and $3 Bloody Mary's. Don Shula's 347 restaurant, where we ate our last night, is here as well. We had a nice dinner there. The exercise room, according to hubby was small, with two treadmills, an elliptical machine and free weights. It did have water and towels. Perhaps the nicest part of Hotel Duval, conveniently located near downtown and FSU's campus, is the lobby area, which offers all kinds of seating. Decorated in a chic, contemporary style with gilt, metallics, orchids and art, it feels tres chic in this southern town, where magnolias and Southern Living decorating, usually rules. A water dispenser, flavored with strawberries and mint, gives the reception area a spa-like feel. I would definitely return here on my next stay.

Room Tip: #227 was nice and quiet, at the end of the hall and near the ice machine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Glee47,

Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. We really appreciate the thorough review of your stay, and are even more excited that you found your new "home" when visiting Tallahassee, and that your friends also think that we are the best in town.

We hope to see you again when you visit the area.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hotel Duval for a getaway weekend and really enjoyed the accommodations and the service. I stayed in one of the suites, which was well appointed with an upscale bar, desktop computer, Wii console, and fun decor. With two on site restaurants, valet parking, complimentary wifi, and Level 8 club/lounge on the top floor, Hotel Duval is a sure thing.

Stayed August 2013
Dear steelpanwoman,

Thank for you sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. My apologies that we were unable to accommodate your request for a room with a king bed. We do have a very limited inventory that fills up rather quickly, so please feel free to reach out to me directly prior to your next stay and I would be happy to see if there is anything I can do ahead of time.

We're happy to hear that you have a great over all experience, and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Tallahassee.

jroberts@hotelduval.com
(850)224-6131
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were visiting as attendees of an art conference at the nearby LeMoyne Center. The rooms were nicely decorated, although we asked for a King bed and were given a Queen in a room that although small, still could have fit a King.(Yes boutique hotels should have kKng beds at their prices!) The service was very good. The guests from a large wedding party that was staying at the hotel woke me up both nights, and on the second night from a sound sleep at 2 am. When I called the desk, it was quickly handled. I mentioned the incident upon checkout, and they gave me two vouchers to help cover the cost of breakfast as an apology(seeing that the only breakfast option that morning was the buffet at $14), they should have had some $14 vouchers available. How about a- la -carte breakfast on weekends, please? Dined at Shula's 347-the food had better portion sizes and prices as well as more dining options and preferred it to the regular Shula's. We will stay there again when visiting Tallahassee.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room if you want a quieter room (The view is not as impressive, as it overl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear steelpanwoman,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and providing such a thorough review of your stay. From your review, it appears that you had a great time during your visit. My apologies that we were unable to accommodate your request for a king sized bed. Unfortunately, we have a limited inventory of king beds, and they were all committed during your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again when you return.

Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Meeting in Tallahassee always brings a smile, of course the staff of Hotel Duval has always been exceptional! Busy Busy busy they were! the Valet boyz are fantastic and I have to say thank you to them all for the input on places to eat and always looking for live entertainment but our timing was off, as school was still out. Keep up the great work and stay safe. We will see you again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on Monroe St. are a bit noisey if your a sensitive sleeper. Roof Top Bar "Level 8&quo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Jett2000,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's great to hear that you always have a great time when you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Farmers Branch, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is is a GREAT location! Sheila' s 347 is AMAZING! Level 8 have tremendous views of the city with captivating sunsets! One pitfall is the limited amount of king beds. I don't get why a "boutique" hotel wouldn't have an abundance of king beds; no one wants to go on a romantic rendezvous to a room with a queen bed. TOTAL MOOD KILLER! The staff is always professional, the rooms are always clean and the time spent here is always exceptional!

Room Tip: Request a king size bed filmmaking the reservation and call ahead before checking in to confirm. Ot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Luckynluv10,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. We're happy to hear that you love Shula's and the team. Sorry we were unable to accommodate you in one of our King rooms. We do have somewhat of a limited inventory, and I am sure you can understand why they are in high demand. Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee please reach out to me personally ahead of time so I can personally facilitate your reservation (jroberts@hotelduval.com).

Hotel Duval
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed a couple times and enjoyed the experience every time. Historic hotel with modern style. A great rooftop bar with the best view in Tallahassee and Shula's restaurant on property. What more do you need. It's a Marriot property also.

• Stayed July 2013
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Pier5660,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay(s) at Hotel Duval. Our team is happy to hear that you have enjoyed the experience every time. We are proud to be "not a mainstream hotel experience", and are happy to hear that you are a fan.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Niceville, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Arrived at the Hotel and check in was fine. Had dinner at Shula's that evening which was outstanding. Our waiter told us we were in luck because they had a function happening on Level Eight and suggested we go up and enjoy the view. My wife and I got a cocktail and went to Level Eight where the event was an auction of the most eligible singles of Tallahassee. We found an open table with only two seats and sat down to enjoy the view with our cocktail. The place was packed. I pointed out to my wife that one of the guests not far from us was spitting over the balcony. He seemed intoxicated. A few minutes later three of his friends came over to our table and sat their drinks on our table. The all took out cigars and cut the ends and lit up. They threw their trash on our table and turned away from us now talking with the guy who was now spitting on the floor near our table. After several minutes of the cigar smoke and them really taking over our table with their drinks and trash my wife saw that I was getting uncomfortable and about to say something. She politely asked the spitting guy if they wouldn't mind letting us have our two person table back. That's when the it hit the fan. The young man started cursing at my wife to our surprise. At which time I came out my seat and immediately confronted the guy. Now surrounded by his friends telling me to back off and pushing me in the chest. I told them that no one talks to my wife like that and they needed to respect our space. Finally one of the events sponsors came over and broke the situation up. My wife was almost in tears. She wanted to check out of the hotel immediately but I talked her into staying. I was so pissed I could not sleep that night. I went up to the level eight deck the next night after it was closed as they do not lock the doors to the balcony. I was surprised, and so were they, to find a couple up there naked and having sex on the balcony. This is definitely not the kind of action I look for when I book a hotel stay. We will not recommend or stay at this hotel ever. The room was clean and adequate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Roger P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. We noticed that there were some parts of your trip that you thoroughly enjoyed, and we are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations at every turn.

We are terribly sorry about the experience that you had at Level 8. That is not at all the reputation that we have built over the past 3 1/2 years, so we are sorry that you had to go through that.

I would truly love the opportunity to once again earn your business, and invite you to contact me directly at jroberts@hotelduval.com or 850.224.6131 so we may talk further.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!