“Hotel Duval” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Jacksonville, Florida
“Hotel Duval”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great Customer service, Very clean. Very cool roof top bar. The Staff is excellent, and very friendly. Overall, great place to stay in Tallahassee. The hotel is very close to FSU, and getting in and out is a breeze.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Rachel H,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. Your kind words are most appreciated by the team. We hope that you come see us again should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee.

Until next time,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
plantaion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Had a beautiful room and great experience. We will stay again when visiting our son at FSU. Very friendly staff. Great food. The bar on top of hotel was lots of fun too. The organic touch with the breakfast food was great. Our waitress was super nice too.

Room Tip: We had a corner room. So it was large.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear chefmompam,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hotel Duval. It looks like we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay, and we look forward to seeing you over the next 4-6 years, depending on which route your son chooses to take through school. We'll see you again soon.

Best,

Hotel Duval
Bagdad, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I was thrilled to check in at this hotel with its chic lobby - it reminded me of boutique hotels in DC that I love. There was a certain Je ne said pas eau de locker room smell in my room from the humidity, but the desk set up was excellent, the shower was fabulous (after I smashed the spider living in my bathmat) and the bed was DIVINE. I did think it was a little odd that I was in and out of valet parking 7 times in 3 days and every time they asked me if I was checking in. And just don't bother waiting for table service for a drink at the roof top bar - just go get your drink at the bar like the rest of us while the trendy waitress chats with couples. The service at Le Roc was iffy but the food was excellent.

I have to admit the trade-offs were beginning to take their toll when I got the bill on my last morning, and found the rate was 40% higher for two nights than the rate I was quoted when I booked the stay thought my corporate travel service. Since it's a Marriott affiliate, I have to admit I expected an adjustment when I asked about it at the front desk. However, it took the first staff member the 20 minutes I spent eating breakfast to research the fact that, why yes, indeed there was a difference between the first night and the next two. Because....Sunday was Sunday and Monday and Tuesday aren't.

I then talked to the Manager, I'ssha Scott, who had me standing around for 10 minutes while she puzzled out the exact same finding. We agreed that I would send her my confirmed itinerary, which I did almost a week ago. Not only did I not get a response, but I did not even get an acknowledgement of my email. When I left - you guessed it, the Valet staff asked if I was checking in.

So appearances to the contrary, the Hotel Duval is really a Marriott wannabe. As for me, I'll stick to the real thing the next time I'm in Tallahassee.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear cindy_weinmann,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. It is always our goal to exceed the expectations of every guest, and I am truly sorry that we were not able to exceed yours.

In reading your review, it appears that we do have some opportunities for improvement, and I appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention. I have already addressed these issues with each department manager to ensure that they do not happen again.

I would also like to apologize for the inconvenience at check out. I too would question my folio if the rate was 40% higher on the second and third night. I was able to review the confirmation that you forwarded along to Ms. Scott, and in doing so, I was able to locate the verbiage in the confirmation that states that the rate did increase to a specific rate starting on the Monday of your stay. I am sorry for any confusion that this led to and would be happy to phone the company you booked through and ask that they provide more clarity in their confirmation letters.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee, and I invite you to contact me directly so I may personally facilitate your reservation.

jroberts@hotelduval.com
850.224.6131
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed here a few times and always excellent service. Love the "trendy" feel of the hotel. Highlight is definitely the Level 8 lounge. Definitely the place to stay if you want to be able to go have a few drinks and enjoy yourself even if you don't know anyone in Tallahassee.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tina-del-mar,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the experiences you have had at our hotel and Level 8. I must say that I completely agree that Hotel Duval is THE place to stay when visiting Tallahassee.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I travel quite a bit and I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with the hotel and the staff. First, the staff is incredible! There wasn't one person who worked that wasn't friendly, welcoming, and genuine. They all went out of their way. I've never encountered a staff that all seemed to like their jobs as much. I would never stay at another hotel in Tally.

My room was beautiful and very comfortable. I loved the bedding, the bathroom, and the big tv. My only complaint is that it took a bit for the shower to get warm. Otherwise it was perfect.

I enjoyed the terrace bar and the cafe in the lobby. I'm looking forward to going back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear EGliz1022,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Your comments and words about the staff are greatly appreciative, and it goes to show that hard work does not go unnoticed.

The next time you are back in from Chicago we hope to see you here.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Imagine southern hospitality with cutting edge hipster design all wrapped in a service ethos that is top notch. There you have it. The Hotel Duval.

From the moment Tyler picked me up at the airport to the time I left the service was friendly, heart felt and delightful. It must be all those super enthusiastic FSU students, but there sure is a positive vibe with lots of smiles and "What can I do for you Sir"? The front desk staff, especially Chris, was super friendly and helpful, securing a place for me to get my hair cut in no time.

Having the good fortune to stay in a lot of boutique hotels, I can say from experience, this one works.

Morning breakfast is a buffet (but that could just be Sundays) that is hot and fresh. The Starbucks right there is the source of the accompanying coffee which is brought to your table.

The rooms are stylish, well designed and comfortable. I even took some pics of a few details for my upcoming renovations.

KUDOS for putting a coffee maker in the rooms. This is a pet peeve of mine. PAY ATTENTION W Hotels !

On arrival my room had a funly moldy odor to it. Sorta like the carpet had been wet and then not dried out enough. Chris was SUPER responsive, came up himself with keys to another room, helped move the bags and was very friendly. The new room had the same odor though not as strong and it was just fine after the AC had been running for a while.

Two minor annoyances -
The toilet area is so narrow you hot elbows on BOTH sides.
Too cutesy is the floor of the shower. It is pebbles, rounded rocks, that do not feel very good to the bare feet. Maybe if I was in Botswana or Guatemala but not here. Too cutesy.

Be sure to take in the L8 for drinks. Great view and if it is not too hot, grab one of the couches outside and enjjoy the view while drinking one of Sid's cocktail concoctions.

So a shout out to Chris. And Tyler. Great job guys. Marriott - pay attention to these two.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear FLYBOY888PK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience at Hotel Duval. Your kind words are appreciated by everyone on our team, and I have already passed along the great review to our entire associate base congratulating them on a job well done.

I did notice your comments about a musty smell in the room. I can assure you that we are diligently working to eliminate that issue. I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

We look forward to seeing you next time if your travels end up bringing you back to Tallahassee.

Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The bar on the 8th floor blasted techno/house music until 1:30 A.M. This was a Wednesday night! (ladies night)
We were on the 5th floor and could not sleep AT ALL. Called the desk at 12:30 A.M., said they were sold out and could not move us to another room, said they would call the bar manager to turn the music down - didn't do it. We check out in the morning and moved to another hotel for the next night.
The hotel staff should have warned us when we checked in about the loud music, so that we could have made an informed decision about whether to stay or not.
Room was attractive, bathroom was tiny with no counter space. Overhead "rainshower" ineffective for rinsing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear SRQ-Go_Vols,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. It is always our goal to exceed the expectations of every guest and I am terribly sorry to hear that we did not exceed yours.

My apologies that you were not warned about the noise level at Level 8. That is a very busy night upstairs and I am sorry that it did not provide you with the ability to get a complete night of peaceful sleep.

I would really love the opportunity to win your business and bring you back to Hotel Duval. Should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee I invite you to contact me directly at 850.224.6131 or jroberts@hotelduval.com so I can personally facilitate your reservation. I look forward to speaking with you at your leisure.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!