“Service service and service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Venice, Florida
“Service service and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

This is an old-fashioned Holiday Inn that's been fancied up and really made to look nice. service is fantastic. the airport pick up is really great. the roof top bar is intoxicating. If you're there for a couple of nights well worth it. It is a long hard walk to the Capitol and the shuttle just won't make it, if you rent a car it's a $15 parking fee. I guess that is why they have such good service. The location is wrong, and the place is tight. Sort of a ying yang thing!

• Stayed September 2012
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Robert,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write of your experience at Hotel Duval. It sounds like overall your stay was a pleasant one though I am having a diffucult time ascertaining whether you reviewed Hotel Duval or perhaps had it confused with another area hotel.

The hotel is not a converted Holiday Inn. In fact, the hotel opened as Duval Hotel in the early 1950's and was commonly referred to as "The Second Capitol" due to all of the back room legislation that took place at the hotel. Throughout its storied history, the hotel saw several iterations including offices for Florida State University. In 2009, a $15 million dollar renovation was completed and Hotel Duval reopened, restored to its former glory. You are correct in that there is a renovated Holiday Inn in the downtown district just a few short blocks down the street.

As far as the distance from the Capitol, the hotel is five blocks from the Capitol; those blocks being much shorter than standard city blocks. On a pedometer, the walking distance is less than 1/2 mile.

And finally, the overnight parking fee is $12. That is consistent with other downtown hotels in our area and far less than the $40 and $50 charged in other metropolitan areas.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marc B. Bauer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Anna Maria Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Nice modern style hotel in central Tallahassee. But when extra charges were added to our bill to tune of $260 for drinks we never had, the front desk said they couldn't do anything for us. Fortunately we had charge receipt proving we were at another restaurant when bar charges incurred. So eventually corrected after a painful process. Recommend stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear dyns349,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your most recent stay with us. I am truly sorry for the painful checkout experience that you endured.

I will be certain to meet with our front office team to preclude a similar incident from occurring moving forward. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you stay with us again should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I travel for business every week and really rely on the reviews to determine where I stay...

Hotel is nice.... I was a bit disappointed with the rooms.
I was on the 7th floor close to the stairwell...
I could hear that door slamming throughout the night, my room really smelled like a restaurant. The vents from Shulas must have been close to my room or something, it was gross, and the carpet was really dirty.
My biggest complaint was the airconditioning unit... It kept me up ALL night... It is an LG unit, and it was a nighmare.
Other than those small things, all in all it was a good stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Ames3778,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is something that we take very seriously as it is our number one tool of continuously improving our service levels.

Our engineering team is going to test all of the doors leading to the stairwells to ensure that they are properly calibrated to make certain that they will not slam moving forward should someone enter/exit through them. We also have our housekeeping and engineering teams working together to address any and all carpet issues We are also looking at some alternatives to the LG a/c units that are currently in our guest rooms, so I can assure you that if we can make an improvement there, it will be done.

We are happy to hear you report that all in all, it was in fact a good stay. We hope that you keep us in mind should your travels bring you back to Tallahassee. Should you stay with us again, please contact my office directly so I may personally facilitate your reservation to ensure a problem free stay.

(p) 850.224.6131
(e) jroberts@hotelduval.com

Sarasota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My recent stay at the Hotel Duval was wonderful. The best thing about it? The staff! Everyone was so accommodating and friendly, from the Valet, to the bell men, to the front desk. A special thank you to the hostesses and staff of Shula's, the hotel restaurant. I was there to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday, and I had baked her favorite cake and purchased a balloon. They willingly placed the balloon at our table and surprised my daughter with the cake I gave complete with the with 21 candles had placed on it!
I highly recommend the hotel and the restaurant, and I look forward to my return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear tebwilliams,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with everyone who uses tripadvisor as a resource.

We are grateful that you chose Hotel Duval and Shula's to celebrate your daughter's special day. All of us are happy to hear that it was a huge success and that she had a great time.

Come see us again soon.

Dalton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

What a fantastic experience. My wife & I travel to our beach house, on the Gulf, several times a year & we usually stop off in Tallahassee, so that we can grocery shop , then get to th beach early the next day. I had been wanting to eat at Don Shula's Restaurant, so it only made sense to stay in the hotel in which it was housed. Well, the restaurant turned out to be everything that we had hoped for and The Duval Hotel wildly exceeded our expectations. From reception, bell staff, parking valets, housekeepers, everyone was exceptional. I don't know how many stars they have, but they are 5 star in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear bulldogron,

It's great to hear that you finally stopped and dined at Shula's. Honestly, I don't know how you were able to drive past it all these times without giving it a try.

The team is happy to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations as that is always our goal. We will be sure to post your review on our "Good News Board" in our associate break room. Hopefully you will make this a regular stop along your way to the beach.

florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

From staff to valet an incredible experience! The rooms are lovely, clean, the bath products top shelf, the bed incredible, all the amenities were exceptional! The staff caters to your every need. Location the super convenient !!! The valet one of the best!!!!!!! They really went out of their way for us! Were we really in Tallahassee? You could of fooled me?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stanwich, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We go to Tallahassee several times a year to see an FSU football game and meet with a client. Often we stay at the Hotel Duval, but until last month we hadn't stayed at the Duval in almost a year. Last month we returned to the Duval and there were some changes, most notably they replaced the Pascal Morabito toiletries with a different brand that doesn't smell nearly as good as the PM stuff.

When we checked out, the guy at the front desk asked for my feedback about our stay. I mentioned that the lack of PM toiletries was a disappointment, but that all of the employees were top notch in giving superior service.

Today I received a large FedEx package from the Duval. Inside the package was a handwritten thank you note for my feedback and a complete collection of PM toiletries.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JamesPRoberts, Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Thomas G,

We appreciate your feedback, and it's great to hear that you received the package we mailed out. I must agree with your point about the little things - I too believe that this is what can really set places apart from one another.

We have not made the switch back the the Pascal Morabito amenity line, but have moved to a new one since your most recent stay, Pure by Gloss, and the transition is actually taking place this week.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!