“One of a Kind” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 59 hotels in Tallahassee
Ethel, Louisiana
“One of a Kind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

We used a Marriott rewards free night to stay here on the first night of our Anniversary trip. We enjoyed it and wish we could have stayed longer. The decor was very modern with the color-coding and aromatherapy on each floor very unique. Check in was quick and pleasant, with the desk clerk acknowledging my Mariott Rewards Gold status. We thought the wall-size print of the old Hotel postcard from the 40's was a nice touch in the lobby.

Our room was clean and comfortable. I gotta admit, I thought the sliding door/walls for the bathroom was a neat touch.

Interesting enough, this was one of the few hotels I have stayed in where the curtain blocks out enough light to make the room completely dark.

We are going to go back just to check out Shula's and the Level 8 bar!

One word of caution though, the entrance to the valet from Monroe st. is not marked and kinda sneaks up on you, we had to make the block....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

327 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Bainbridge, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

Just got back from a fabulous visit to the capital and had to write a review on the place we stayed! Hotel Duval is absolutely perfect! The service is out of this world and the Level 8 lounge is amazing!!! I will definitely be going back soon!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I was there with my extended family for my daughters graduation.Reserved 2 rooms a year in advanced. When I got the confirmation I noticed they could not guarantee me a room with double beds. I called them and they said dont worry we would not let you sleep on the floor and you are top of the list for the double beds. When I got there of course there were no double beds left and they charged me 25.00 a night for the cots. I learned later they only have 24 rooms with double beds so they knew there was no way that the rooms with double beds were going to open up. After speaking with a few guests at the hotel the same thing happened to them. The first night one the air conditioner broke. The hotel is pretty and modern but not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Noleone, General Manager at Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
I am terribly sorry to hear of your experience at Hotel Duval. Our goal is to not only meet but exceed expectations and it appears that well fell short of our goal.

As you mentioned, the hotel only has a limited inventory of accommodations that feature two beds. As part of Marriott's Autograph Collection, we are required to gaurantee a certain percentage of that inventory to guests who specifically book rooms with double beds. Bedding preference requests beyond that requirement threshold on are on a request-only basis. While we do our very best to accommodate all requests, the fact is that demand far exceeds supply on special event weekends.

We are working diligently with Marriott to create a booking environment that will eliminate the ability to continue to request double beds once the supply of those accommodations has been exhausted.

I am also very sorry to learn of your situation with air conditioner and the fact that you did not feel you received a value for the price paid. I researched the local market for the commencement weekend and we were priced below many of our competitors in town.

Should your travels bring you to Tallahassee in the future, I welcome you to contact my office directly and I will personally facilitate your reservation.

Marc B. Bauer
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

This hotel was a solid hotel but not amazing. The lobby area is very clean and nice. The banquet area is also very clean and nice. The 8th floor bar alows for amazing views of the city and a relaxing time. The Shula's Resturant is amazing with wonderful service. The hallways were not very clean and had a bit of a smell to them. The rooms are very small but perfect for a single traveler. The beds are only queen size unless in a suite. I had a regular room which had the queen bed. Another couple in our group had a suite which offered much more space and a king bed. Many of the other guests traveling with us complained about a bad odor in their rooms. One person even changed rooms many times because of the smell. I was fortunate enough to not have any problem with the smells. There is no room service after 9:30 pm and only a small snack pantry at the front desk to purchase late snacks from. Overall it is a good hotel but not anything too over the top.

Room Tip: Book no corner rooms, no 7th floor rooms
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tifton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Recently, I had the opportunity to stay at Hotel Duval in Tallahassee. We couldn't be happier with this location and property. The staff is as refreshing as the decor. The L8 Lounge is a must. Overlooking downtown at sunset sets the perfect mood for a relaxing and enjoyable dinner at Shula's. The only regret that I have is that we had to leave.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Duval 3 times now and every time I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Not only are the staff friendly but the location of the hotel couldn't be more convenient to downtown Tallahassee. You can walk to the capitol and even grab a bite/drink at their in house restaurant or roof top bar. I would highly recommend this hotel to business travelers looking for a convenient and modern stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Hotel Duval is a beautiful, clean, modern hotel in Tallahassee, FL. I stay there for my business trips and I love the quiet rooms, comfortable beds, white glove service, high speed internet, free wifi, rooftop lounge, great steakhouse restaurant and high tech meeting rooms. I have stayed in many different hotels in Tallahassee and this hotel blows all the others away. You feel like you are in Manhattan, NY or LA vs. a smaller town. I highly recommend staying at Hotel Duval whenever you are in Tallahassee, FL.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Duval, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!