“Don't be afraid!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Tampa
“Don't be afraid!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I have to admit I didn't have high expectations when booking a room at a Howard Johnson Express, but it was a game weekend, and there weren't alot of different options that were reasonably priced. I made the reservation and hoped for the best. I got it! I knew going in upfront that I wasn't staying at a 5 star hotel, but I hoped for a clean, comfortable place to stay for 2 days. Well yes, it is clean. Yes, it is comfortable. The location was perfect for what I needed and the staff was exceptional. I stayed there in 2009 and had a good experience. When it was time for me to go back in October of 2010, I just hoped not too much had changed. It didn't. The staff could not be any more hospitable. The rooms, while not "fancy" are fine for what we needed. It came equiped with a nice little refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, etc. Now, I know that may not seem like a big deal, but I've stayed at the Bellagio and they didn't have a coffee pot in the room! After checking in, we were getting settled in the room and the phone rang. It was the front desk, just checking to make sure everything was ok, and to let us know they were there 24 hours a day if we needed anything. Hmmm..they didn't do that at the Bellagio either. If you're looking for a clean hotel at a reasonable price, jump off of I-10 at exit 199 and see these folks. Southern hospitality at it's best.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Gurnee, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I booked this hotel based on the good reviews it received on the internet and have to say my expectations were not met. The hotel is okay but not better than other chain motels (e.g. Motel 6, Super 8, etc.). My room was not as clean as I like them to be and the breakfast was not even average.

I only stayed there for a night on my way from Mobile, AL to St. Petersburg, FL and would recommend it to others for this purpose. If you want a nice hotel/motel to spend several days at, it shouldn't be difficult to find a better one.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010 via mobile

Nice clean rooms. A little rough on the outside, the buildings need a paint job. Friendly staff. Small pool. Cont. Breakfast sucked. Would stay again, but will plan to do breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2010
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

This hotel is very reasonably priced and conveniently located near the highway, restaurants, and stores. It is an aging hotel, however the wonderful staff prides themselves on cleanliness and keeping the rooms up to date. If you have a large group of contractors, surveys, etc.. this is the hotel for you. Staff is so accommodating and sweet and will help in any way possible. If you are planning a long term stay in Tallahassee I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I was returning from a road trip for work and I was looking for a place to stay for the night in Tallahassee. Based on the other Tripadisor recommendations, I chose to stay at the Howard Johnson Express Inn. I have never been impressed with Howard Johnson properties but I thought I'd give this one a try. I wish I'd gone with my instincts and gone somewhere else.

The hotel is located close to the interstate and several places to eat. I arrived a bit later, and parking is non-existent. The hotel clerk instructed me to park in the handicapped spaces at the front of the hotel since every single other space was gone. The lobby was very small and it also included the breakfast area.

I wouldn't classify this place as a hotel. It was more of a motel. The two buildings faced the parking lot, which was apparently the only place for people to congregate. There were several patrons sitting out in front of their rooms drinking beer and talking until the wee hours of the night. There was a pool area, although I did not venture over to use it.

I have no idea where they got the pictures of the rooms for the web site, but they didn't look like mine. The room was musty and dirty. When I turned off the A/C for a moment, the room started to smell moldy. I turned it back on and left it on for the remainder of the trip. The bathroom fixture were dirty to the point of having gunk crusted over them. The general lack of attention to cleaning details was obvious. The wireless internet connection was extremely slow.

If I ever go back to Tallahassee, I will not stay at this place again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
gm_hojoTLH, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Tallahassee, responded to this review, May 12, 2010
Dear weary_traveller25,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I cannot apologize enough for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. I wish I would have known of your issues during your stay so I could have had the opportunity to fix all your concerns. Our staff members pride themselves in trying to make sure the stay of all our guests is comfortable and that our guest's leave happy. If you change your mind and decide to give us another try, please contact me directly. My staff and I would truly appreciate the opportunity, and we promise to try our hardest to make sure you leave happy!
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

I was rather leery of staying in a HOJO, but after reading the reviews we decided to save some money as part of a nearly 3 week trip from WI to Hilton Head to Destin FL. We decided to stay in a few cheaper, well reviewed hotels along the way. The previous manager who had posted here is gone (his responses were one of the reasons I felt comfortable trusting it, but the new manager was very helpful. Everything you read is correct. It's clean, well-maintained and pleasant. Yes, parking was a little difficult, but we got there at 10:00 at night. Which comes to our problem.

We had a guaranteed reservation for a certain kind of room--made several months in advance. When we got there, it wasn't the right kind of room, none were available. We weren't too happy, the desk clerk said the manager the next day would have to deal with any adjustments. The room itself was fine and we were very pleased to see a freezer section in the larger micro/fridge. The hotel was full, we were concerned about noise, when we saw a number of people milling around that late, but it was not a problem at all. People were courteous.

When we checked out the next day, the manager very promptly made an adjustment to the bill. My husband thought it should have been greater. I disagreed. I was very satisfied with the room and we got a terrific price, even before the discount. As long as you know it's not a 4 star hotel, I think you'll be very happy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Frozen_Tundra_Gal,
Thank you for your review. Our staff appreciates your kind words. We are extremely pleased you found the room you stayed in was clean and comfortable and that the microwave/refrigerator came in handy. We look forward in welcoming you on your next trip down away from the frozen tundra to sunny Florida, but this time we will guarantee that your room type is exactly what you need! Thank you again.
Panama City Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

This is the top of any 2 star list. The staff could not have been friendlier and were very accommodating to the needs of people staying for long periods of time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn Tallahassee? Share your experiences!