“Great location, giant's beds” 4 of 5 stars

Governors Inn
209 South Adams Street, Tallahassee, FL 32301   |
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Tallahassee
Orlando, Florida
“Great location, giant's beds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here on a very hot weekend in June while dropping our son off at FSU. The location was perfect. We were able to walk to restaurants, the Saturday morning farmer's market, and - if it hadn't been 100 degrees in the shade - campus. Sunday morning, the valet let us keep our car parked after we'd checked out so we could eat brunch across the street - parking was non-existent.

The staff was top-notch! Courteous, attentive, and friendly. We really felt as if we were returning home when we walked in - a cool respite with friendly faces. The happy hour pours were healthy, and the bartenders did a good job of interacting with the guests.

We stayed in one of the rooms with a porch. The view outside to the bricked courtyard was unimpressive: weedy bricks, an a/c drip line, and the next door restaurant cleaning their kitchen with the door open. The queen beds in the hotel are so high my 6' husband needed a step stool to climb in. Seriously! I've never seen beds so high. Our room only came with one step stool; I asked the maids for another one, but we never got it. The bedside tables were not scaled appropriately for the giant's bed we had. I kept rolling off the bed reaching for things on the table. When I asked about the scale, the front desk staff told me the owners liked to collect antiques. Hopefully, they'll keep looking for a giant's bedside table. (I believe the king sized beds are normal height in the rooms.) The bathroom was huge, and adequately furnished. It was clean. My only moment of panic was a faded stain on the sheets when we climbed in bed that first night. The maids changed sheets for us the next morning.

All in all, I'd gladly stay here, again. I would not spend the extra money for the porch (although the ground floor rooms did not appear to have any windows, so if that is important to you, get the porch!) and I would ask for a regular sized bed height. FSU parent's discount rate was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask about bed height
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren H, Guest Relations Manager at Governors Inn, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Karen,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We welcome all feedback, good and bad. We are constantly striving to improve, so we will take everything you had into consideration.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you return while your son is attending school at Florida State University. If you ever have any questions or concerns about your stay or an upcoming stay, please do not hesitate to call the hotel at 850-681-6855.

We hope to see you again soon,

Lauren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night, just some place to lay my head after taking an exam, but they have left me wishing I had another week here. Perhaps it's just the comfortable bed that's allowing me to finally relax from the constant hustle and bustle from the every day life, or maybe it's the extremely friendly staff who talk to you as if you're old buddies, but they sure know how to separate themselves from their competitors. I will most defiantly come back, but for a vacation next time. I have to admit I was not expecting the kind of stay I had! When I left for my exam they wished me luck and upon my arrival back they asked how it went, when I told them I passed I received high fives and a congrats, and since I'm away from friends and family and can't celebrate with them, it was 100% appreciated. I can't wait for my next visit!

• Stayed May 2014
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Had a very nice room here only problem was the dustbin lorry which arrived very early across the road, we"ll ask for a room at the front next time. Nice bathroom, well equipped room with wifi and comfortable bed.
Staff very nice and helpful. Would stay here again when visiting FSU, an easy walk to the campus.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My daughters and I stayed at the Governors Inn a few weeks ago. I don't normally write reviews but the exceptional service prompted me to do so! Upon arriving we were greeted by Kaleb who was extremely polite and made sure we had everything we needed. We stayed in an executive suite at the far end of the hotel, 2nd floor. He carried our bags, brought extra bedding, served us a complimentary glass of wine (even though we had missed the happy hour by a little bit). We had no problems with noise, as another reviewed mentioned, even though there is a busy restaurant/bar across the street, we never heard a thing. The executive suite was great! High ceilings, plenty of room, 2 tvs, fridge, plenty of extra bedding. The best thing was CEILING FANS! We are from Florida, and can't live without them! For the same cost as a double bed room at the Doubletree next door, we stayed in this huge executive suite, and loved it! Will be staying here again soon!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Pensacola, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Front desk and valet staff are above average in hospitality! The location can't be beat if you have any business at or around the Capitol. I was able to walk everywhere I had to go and the room had a loaner umbrella when I left mine in the car!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

There are few hotels close enough to walk 2 blocks to the Capitol, House & Sen. Office bldgs. My favorite among them is Gov. Inn. It's an old fashioned hotel, the rooms are named for each of Florida's many governors and the furnishing/decor is like a B & B. I had a suite on the 3rd floor, which would suck if you had heavy luggage but no problem for an overnight stay. They really could benefit from an elevator. My bed was terrific and the room was spacious, you're not gonna find a 4-poster bed like I had, in a chain motel. The rooms are all different layout and furnishings, no cookie cutter approach here. The bathroom was also big and well designed. It takes a bit for the hot water to reach, no big deal. My only regret was how hectic my legislative visit schedule was and how little time it gave me to enjoy my room. Up on this floor, you don't get any noise from the downstairs bar. The one thing I did notice has been downgraded is their breakfast. It used to feature eggs, bacon, etc. but now it's breads (incl. great asst. bagels), cereal and yogurt. There's also only 1 table for 4 and no other place to sit for breakfast. Luckily, it was just myself and a guy reading his email. I guess the bar would be a good alternate if it's busy. What is still as exceptional as always is the staff & service. They do meet and exceed your needs. The Gov. Inn is not cheap, but neither are the Doubletree or Aloft, their competition. For the $ and the convenience of being close to my venues, it's a worthwhile deal.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best, my room was 302 and there are several more like it on that floor. The rooms close...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I always enjoy my stay at The Governors Inn. The 27th annual Tallahassee Winter Festival was this past weekend and though I am a local, I reserved a room at Governors Inn so that I could experience all that downtown had to offer. I wouldn't change a thing!!
I've already reserved a room for New Years Eve! See you soon.

Room Tip: The Loft Rooms are the most unique. There's a real fire place, a private balcony and a spiral st...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Governors Inn? Share your experiences!