“Post Game Adventure” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 667 Restaurants in Tallahassee
Cuisines: Pizza
“Post Game Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

New on restaurant row, North Monroe, Joe's arrival from its birthplace in Port St. Joe, FL is welcomed. BFF Jeff and I had our choice of 2 new "pizza" providers. We chose Joe's due to it being on the best side of the street northbound on NMS. 'Easy in easy out' parking a plus. At arrival we (two rookie grandfathers) we're greeted by stunning female associates. The pleasant room having no tables available was enhanced by a well built albeit rather small bar. Sturdy stools made dining pleasurable as did the behind-the-bar server. Beer & wine only, the bar attendant suggested an Italian Pinot Noir. Dry and adequate it was fine with sips of Tallahassee tap. The delicious local water from aquifers beneath us in limestone environs was served in chilled carafes. Demitasse glasses made for an appealing presentation. Now the food: the serving gentleman, a local school teacher working a second job, blended a lovely crisp salad atop the bar and served us from its bowl. The house-made balsamic dressing was above par. A reasonably extensive menu suggested several specialty pies. The one we selected was to have had carmelized onions, however, the onions were "86" so we substituted mushrooms. The result was a bland rather gummy crusted wood fired pizza. The search continues. Next pizza review soon from the place across the street.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tallahassee, Florida
“Welcome to the neighborhood.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

After the FSU football games, my friend and I most often stop and eat. Tonight was one of two new Nth. Monroe Street pizza restaurant. We chose Joe's because it was on the way home on the right side of the street. Entering we were immediately pleased with the room, its busy vibe and attractive staff. We spotted two adjacent bar stools and planted ourselves. The gentleman tending to the beer or wine requests and at-the-bar food orders, a school teacher by profession, was delightful and provided excellent service. We had one of the special pies and split a tasty personally prepared salad. The Italian Pinot Noir was a bit dry for my palate, but, okay.Water was poured from a carafe into small plain glasses which were perfect. Neither my long time friend nor I were knocked out by the pizza. Its crust was gummy and base sauce lacked character and zing. Keep perfecting the product and service delivery and we'll come in again.

Tallahassee, Florida
“Excellent change of pace from most pizza places in Tally”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just visited Joe Mama's on N. Monroe for the fist time last night. We found the atmosphere to be really enjoyable. A bit more upscale than your average pizza place in Tallahassee, which is a welcome change. The server was very attentive and professional.

The food was great ... everything from the salad to the ingredients on the pizza were very fresh. The salad was tossed tableside which was a nice touch. They also had a great selection of draft beers. A lot of these are craft beers and difficult to find in Tallahassee except in a pub.

I don't know what the other review was talking about regarding the noise level. I didn't find it to be a problem at all. In fact, it is way less noise than a place like Red Elephant. And much better food too.

I would highly recommend Joe Mama's.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
DevonNunneley, Manager at Joe Mama's Wood Fired Pizza, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
We are happy to hear that you had a good experience - thanks so much for sharing!
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Best pizza in Tallahassee!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I loved everything about Joe Mama's! The pizza was SO amazing. Salad was great. Atmosphere was fun. Service was awesome. My recent experience at Joe Mama's rocked and I can't wait to go back!! So so so happy to have this restaurant in Tallahassee!!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks so much for the kind words! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Tallahassee, Florida
“Good pizza, but far too loud”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just ate at the newly opened Joe Mama's Wood Fired Pizza on North Monroe. All pizzas are 14" and the "due" (doo-ah) special costs about $15. It was tasty but a bit too oily. The crust was toasty, but nothing special. If you want a salad, you have to order a "split between two" dinner salad for almost $10. Water is served in a bottle (no ice). Soft drinks run $2.35. Beer and wines ran $4 up. Servers were attentive. Service was good for a "just opened" restaurant.

However, DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU WANT TO CHAT WITH YOUR TABLE COMPANIONS. The noise level was actually as loud to me as a running lawnmower. The waitress stood across the table from me and half the time I could not hear her because she was not shouting. My wife and I were 2 to 3 feet apart and gave up trying to talk to one another due to the crowd noise. The floor is concrete, the ceiling low, and there are no sound dampening decorations. The noise was so loud it actually was uncomfortable. You find yourself in a cycle where everyone keeps talking louder because everyone else is talking loudly, and the noise level just keeps growing louder and louder.

If you don't mind having to shout every word you say to your friends, JMWFP might be a good place to go. To us, the average pizza was not enough to outweigh the extremely loud environment. Add to that the somewhat "pricey" menu for a pizza place. Our one-pizza for two meal ran about $28. At $14 apiece, my wife and I would like to be able to talk without shouting. That's why I rank this restaurant "Poor." As for me and my wife, I doubt that we will return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
JoeMamas, Owner at Joe Mama's Wood Fired Pizza, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to visit our Tallahassee restaurant. We regeret you were not totally satisfierd with your experience. The restaurant has been open for 3 days now and we'd be the first to admit we have some "tweaking" to do. We have a brand new staff getting used to a new environment and new equipment. We will continue training until we are satisfied everything is running the way it should and our food is up to our very high standards. The building we are in is fully remodeled and we have to get used to our 'new home", including managing the noise level. We have many (entusiastic) staff on the floor during the training period and this may contribute to the elevated noise level as well. We hope you give us another chance once in the future once we have "settled in". We are confident you will enjoy your next experience.