“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Tallahassee B&B and Inns
Margate, Florida
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

The night guy was very nice and accommodating. We're first checked into a room that looks as if it was on maintenance. As soon as we opened the room door it was like a heatwave came through. The carpet was dirty and muddy. Paint chips were all over the floor. I have two small children so that's unacceptable. We changed rooms and again the humidity and odor in the room was awful and the cable didn't work. There were spiders crawling on the lamp shades and around the bathroom floor. The shower was disgusting. Soap scum, caked on dirt, mold, and a broken shower knob topped it all off. I had to keep an eye on my babies just to make sure they wouldn't get bitten by a spider. That did no good because they still woke up with bite marks on their legs and arms. I'm still treating them for their bites, and it's been two days already. This place should not be open.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

My 2 friends and I were on a budget and looking for a cheap hotel within walking distance to the campus and the bars. We booked 2 weeks in advance and gave my credit card over the phone. Several days later I called back to get confirmation, but their phones were disconnected for the entire week leading up to our trip. Finally, we drove to Tallahassee unsure if the place still existed. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk said "we're working on fixing the phones". The lady showed us 4 different rooms that were all filthy and unlivable. One of them, the beds were not even made! Someone else obviously had slept there and they didn't clean it at all! The second room smelled terrible like cigarettes. The third room smelled like mold and mildew and the carpet was wet. The fourth room had mud all over the floors and the bathroom was downright disgusting. I wanted to gag after viewing these rooms. The lady kept rolling her eyes like we were inconveniencing her. This place was a bad joke. Finally we agreed to a room that was somewhat clean and smelled ok. We discovered the 2 towels in the room were threadbare and the size of a loin cloth. We asked for new towels but they refused to give us any. We asked for plastic cups and tissues but they had none. The next morning we needed a new roll of toilet paper and they refused. I ended up having to go to CVS and buy toilet paper, tissues, and cups for the room. We stayed 3 nights and by night 3 our room developed an odor that was radiating from under a bed. A taxi cab driver told us they have bedbugs. By the time we checked out and drove home, I wanted to jump in the Atlantic Ocean and burn all of my clothes to prevent getting bedbugs. Fortunately, we survived this hotel but I really don't understand how it stays in business. The management just doesn't care at all and its sad because at one time this place was probably a decent hotel. They just let it go to hell.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
collegiatehotel, Guest Relations Manager at CVI Hotel - Collegiate Village Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
I apologize for your previous stay at the Collegiate Village Inn. As of March 1st, 2011 the hotel is under new management and is being COMPLETELY renovated. Previous management was unacceptable, to say the least. The new Collegiate Village Inn, now CVI Hotel, plans on providing their guests with exemplary customer service and in completely brand new renovated rooms. I cannot express the magnitude of this turnaround and the effort that is has been put forth.

Again, CVI Hotel apologizes for your previous experience with the former Collegiate Village Inn, and we sincerely hope you will not dismiss the newly renovated and redefined CVI Hotel.
Pomona, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

The hotel has a very nice lobby with wireless internet...and that's where the "nice" ends.

We called over 2 weeks in advance and booked a room telling them clearly what we wanted (coffee maker, fridge, microwave, 2 beds, non-smoking). I was a new student at FSU so my parents and I thought we'd stay here for a few days while searching for an apartment in Tallahassee before classes began.

When we arrived at the hotel and received our keys, the room they gave us was completely incorrect from what we had requested (and were told we would be receiving). After waiting 20 minutes we were finally given the room we wanted (which had been available the entire time).

Upon entering the room we were hit with a musty odor. The room was dusty with all sorts of stains on the carpets. The bathroom was not properly cleaned and didn't even have toilet paper. There were cobwebs in all the corners of the room and there were even personal belongings of previous guests under the bed. There was no wireless internet access (or even wired access) in the room despite the hotel advertising it as a feature.

The hotel parking lot and the other guests are quite noisy and often there were people of "dubious reputation" coming and going into various rooms once the sun went down.

On our 2nd night the hot water was shut down and didn't come back for 2 more days. We wound up microwaving water and filling the ice bucket with it to attempt to get clean each day. Each time we asked the front desk about the water, we were told "just a few more hours."

Overall the staff was rude and unprofessional. They were always on their cell phones making personal calls, even when a guest was at the front desk. Many of them are students (FSU, FAMU, TCC) working part-time and really don't know much about running a hotel. When a problem arose (which was quite frequent) they were slow to respond and rude to the guests.

i have stayed at numerous hotels in the same price range and received much nicer service and better rooms.

• Stayed August 2009
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Well where do I start. After changing rooms 4 times we finally got a room where everything worked. Broken showers, smelly rooms, NO POWER. The rooms are old and nasty. Vagrants hanging out in the parking lot asking for beer and money. Wi Fi only in the lobby if you dare letting people know you have a lap top. Stayed 3 nights and the room was cleaned once. Staff at front desk know the place is a dump but will help you find a room that makes you comfortable. a/c unit is a big piece of $*!# it will keep you up all night. (very noisy) Its like being in a Ghetto you feel like something bad is going to happen at any minute. Lots of boom boom music in the parking lot at night. And yes the staff has NO control over the property. Scary looking people coming and going all hours of the night. I will never stay here again. And I'm really not a picky person.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Tallahassee, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed on a Saturday night and found the motel acceptable for the price, $42 a night or $210 a week. It was adequate but I'd give it only two stars out of five, as I noticed a few crawlng things in the room (just a couple, but unsettling nevertheless) and average would be the very best anyone could call it. Quiet except for a few loud young people occasionally walking by my room, but that could happen almost anywhere. I hope it remains quiet when the bars close tonight (whenever that it) and the partygoers return for a night's sleep/or?

I MIGHT stay here again but if money weren't a primary consideration, probably NOT.

Still, the desk cleark was very friendly and accomodating, and I felt that if I needed anything that they would at least attempt to help me with it.

• Liked — friendly front desk
  • Disliked — bugs
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Many
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

The management and staff seem to have no real control over this establishment. The place is more like a boarding house than a hotel. Drama abounds. Above all, don't forget to lock your car.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT CHECKING IN THERE...seriously outdated; paper thin towels....probably the worst mattress I've ever slept on at a motel!
Also, I think the place was being used to house homeless families...
children were playing in the parking lot as we arrived on a Saturday afternoon.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to CVI Hotel - Collegiate Village Inn? Share your experiences!