“Bathrooms In Desparate Need of Remodeling” 2 of 5 stars

Double HHonors Points
Ranked #4 of 59 hotels in Tallahassee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Bathrooms In Desparate Need of Remodeling”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I don't have dirt and grime in my bathrooms at home so I certainly don't expect it when I rent a hotel room, especially at a Hilton affiliated property.

We checked in late and went straight to bed so did not notice the condition of the bathroom until the next morning. While the hotel common areas and our room's kitchen and living area appeared to be clean and well maintained, not true for the bathroom.

The acrylic walls were yellowed from age, the air vent was encrusted with dirt, and worst of all, the non-skid strips in the tub were all black from the build up of guest body grime over the years. This is not the first time I have run into this problem and when I bring it to the attention of the hotel manager, many respond that they can't use harsh cleaning abrasives on it to get the tub clean. So they are admitting that it is built up body grime. I find that unacceptable and disgusting. We ended up putting down towels on the tub bottom to stand on while we showered.

After we dressed and went down for breakfast, I mentioned the problem to Violet at the front desk who immediately asked Tanecia, the head housekeeper, to come speak with me. Tanecia acknowledge the problem, assured me that not ALL the rooms were that way and that the hotel was schedule for a major renovation in 2014. She then told Violet to comp the room for the night before which meant that Violet had to call Hilton as I had paid with my Hilton points. Over a week has passed and I still don't see the credit in my Hilton account even after leaving a voice mail message, several days ago, for Leslie Stivers, the Assistant General Manager.

Like most reviewers, we enjoy the extra space that Homewood Suites provides so if you are still inclined to book at this hotel and cleanliness is important to you, be sure to check out the room thoroughly as soon as you arrive. Better yet, until their renovations are complete, I would call the General Manager a few days ahead of arrival and ask him / her to make sure you are assigned a room that does NOT have the problems I described above. If you wait until you arrive, there may not be another room to move you to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ashley_schneider2, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tallahassee, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear William W,

Your effort and time in sharing your comments surrounding your experiences at our Homewood Suites is most appreciated and something we take very seriously. Please accept my sincere apologies for any aggravation or inconvenience you may have experienced during your last visit in our hotel. We are constantly monitoring the performance of all our employees against high service and quality standards. You can be confident that we will follow-up on the points you have outlined to ensure staff awareness and additional staff training where needed.

I do know that Leslie did respond to your voice-mail and Ms. Stivers has already submitted for the points to be refunded to your account.

We value your patronage – we want you as our guest! Again, we extend our apologies, and hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future. Please contact me before your next visit to Tallahassee and I will personally inspect your room. I can be reached at (850)402-9400 ext 2002.

Regards, Ashley Schneider -General Manager

304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently concluded a 4-month work assignment, staying here when in Tally. The staff always greeted me by name, performed little extra things to make my stay enjoyable, and overall were very accommodating. The hotel is a very good value, serving hot meals twice daily during the week. The soundproofing (a VERY important quality for me) is good enough that I only rarely heard any noise from neighboring rooms. It is a pet-friendly place, which made it feel homey to me. The place is always completely full and some interesting groups stay there. I particularly liked the free use of the office space and the free internet (something I've griped about at more pricey hotels), which made my job easier.

Room Tip: The rooms by the elevator shafts are a bit noisy. The ground floor rooms facing the courtyard can be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our Homewood Suites by Hilton Tallahassee. I have shared all your comments with the entire staff and they all had a smile on their face. We will definitely miss you and hope when you have to be in Tallahassee you will stay with us, your home away from home. If there is anything you ever need from me, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards, Ashley Schneider-General Manager (850)402-9400 ext 2002
Fort Pierce, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have always been a fan of Homewood Suites. I stay at one several times a year. I love the fact that there is a lot of space in the rooms. The pool and basketball court are a great source of entertainment for the family. The location of the hotel was terrific and check-in and out was very nice. Our stay at this hotel was fine, but the small things bothered me. Here is what bothered me:
* The room needed to be vacummed more carefully. Finger nails, bobby pins, paper, etc were all around the edges of the room. * We were only given 3 towels for a room that sleeps 4...and one of our towels was dirty. * There was no silverware in the drawer for us to use with our place settings. * The nights I stayed, no coffee or tea/hot chocolate was served in the lobby after breakfast. That was really disappointing, as I love to have an evening cup. * Our room was located by the air conditioning fans, which served many rooms. So, they ran all day and all night....on, off, on off. It was very loud. * Our chair was terribly stained and worn...totally gross looking. These disappointing small things added up to an average stay for the price I paid of $144 + tax per night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ashley_schneider2, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tallahassee, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear KHS_13_13,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Homewood Suites by Hilton Tallahassee.

I am sorry for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. I have posted this response in the back office for all the employee's to read, so we can improve with our service/cleanliness. We do have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate 24 hours per day. I would like to speak with you further regarding this as it is the responsibility on the front desk to maintain in the absence of the food and beverage department. I would also like to mention we are in the process of upgrading the in room chairs and replacing the old ones. Please contact me at (850)402-9400 ext 2002 to discuss more as we stand by our 100% guarantee.
Regards,
Ashley Schneider
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am here on business and have been staying at the Homewood Suites for about a month now and have only good things to say about my stay. When you first walk in the door all smiles from the staff with a wonderful welcome that you can truly tell it’s genuine and they are happy to be at their job. Employees treat each other wonderfully which sometimes at other hotels I’ve been to I’ve encountered employees being rude to one another. The food here is exceptional sometimes too good that I don’t even want to cook and I enjoy cooking. Another great thing is the free beer and wine during the week, I enjoy a drink in the evening and with it being free makes me enjoy that much more. The housekeeping is fantastic! I like to have my room done at a certain time and they are always on time doing a wonderful job. I travel with a dog and they treat him so well that sometimes I am worried he might want to leave home with them. I really do enjoy the Homewood suites and recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: I enjoy the fifth floor because it seems to be much quieter than being on the first near the pool bu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ashley_schneider2, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tallahassee, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Homewood Suites! We truly enjoy having you and Pop Eye staying with us. The staff and I take pride in customer service and want everyone to feel at home. Don't forget to stop by the front desk and get treats for Pop Eye.

Regards,
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I love this hotel, and it really does feel like home. The hotel's location is excellent for FSU and near to all of the dining spots on Appalachee or Capital. With Governor Square Mall right across the street, and plenty of other shopping options, this is the perfect spot. Safe area with plenty of well lit parking. The hotel itself has an informed staff that greets you with the "welcome home" phrase. Thanks to Ben and Taylor who were very professional even with their manager being off for the weekend. That speaks volumes for the competence of this staff.

All areas were maintained clean and even though it was a busy weekend with several sporting events in the Tally area, the hotel staff kept the place clean and breakfast was varied and delicious. They use real silverware, plates and glasses. No paper plates like other sites.

I appreciate the water bottles in the room and the clean linens. The new HD TVs make relaxing an ease. Pets are allowed and housekeeping does their job, because you would never know pets are allowed for the rooms look and smell clean. Just keep in mind, if you are staying more than one night and you place the do not disturb on your door, you need to let housekeeping know you stlll want them to freshen up; otherwise, no one will truly disturb you and you come back to dirty towels.

I appreciate the care and work of this site and look forward to my next visit with them in Tally.

Room Tip: Seems like the higher floors get more guests. Choose the 4th or 3rd floor for quieter hallways.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Homewood Suites! We truly appreciate the kind words. I have shared your comments with the entire staff and the employee's you referenced will receive a gift card for their hard work. We look forward to your next visit at your home away from home. I do ask that you call me at 850-402-9400 ext 2002, so I know exactly which Ben you are referring to, as we have two Ben's. Thank you

New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

What a pleasure staying here great rooms and the help was wonderful. Tangela serving breakfast was so very nice and went out of her way to please, Brittaney at the front desk was very nice and gave me the help I needed. Have stayed there before it is always a pleasure.

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice no noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Homewood Suites Tallahassee Central. The comments have been posted where all the employees are able to read. We really appreciate the kind words and look forward to the next time you visit your home away from home. If you need and future reservations please contact me at 850-402-9400 ext 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was here on official business and tried to do an early check in. Front Desk staff was unresponsive and informed me to return at the correct check in time. After returning, they gave me a smoking room, even though I asked for a non smoking. They claimed that the hotel was full. On a Tuesday, with no events going on , okay fine. Nothing fancy here. Rooms a bit dated. Wont stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ashley_schneider2, General Manager at Homewood Suites Tallahassee, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor service you were welcomed with at check-in. It is not typical for our staff to be anything less than friendly or helpful and I can assure you this is being addressed. I'm also very sorry we could not honor your room requests. We work really hard to ensure that all guests get the exact room they booked but sometimes cannot due to extenuating circumstances. Tuesday and Wednesday's have the highest demand in Tallahassee and I can assure you we were sold out that evening. We appreciate your feedback and value your business, and hope that you will reconsider giving us another chance for a better stay. We stand by our 100% satisfaction guarantee, so please call me and I will honor the 100% guarantee. I can be reached at (850)402-9400 ext 2002.

Kind regards,

Ashley Schneider-General Manager

Been to Homewood Suites Tallahassee? Share your experiences!