“Interesting” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 59 hotels in Tallahassee
Denver, Colorado
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've driven by the Aloft in my hometown and was intrigued by the exterior decor, so I was pleased when I went to Tallahassee for a client and was put up there. It's definitely a place for the young and active! (Sadly I'm not either of those any more!)

I love clean lines and "European minimalism" but the room closet consisted of a short bar suitable for about five hangars hidden behind a wool drape. I was prepared for a two-week stay and had quite a bit more than that. I was never able to figure out the lighting scheme. Worst of all, there were no drawers at all, only open cupboards. I had to entertain a colleague and couldn't bring myself to unpack until she was gone. (Who wants a colleague to know what one wears to bed?!

However, I loved the reading lights on either side of the bed and the bathroom set up. The thermostat will allow the fan to stay, providing white noise, which is great. I had frequent meetings in the meeting rooms and they were always arranged perfectly. In fact, the employees were the best part of my stay - always cheerful and unfailingly willing and able to accommodate my every business requirement.

There is no room service, just a breakfast bar with cereal, fruit and such, all priced a la carte, and a regular bar that's open after 4 with a few appetizers and drinks. The lobby gets very loud, especially during receptions, but I was on the second floor and never heard a sound once I was in my room. I would definitely go back again, now that I'm better prepared for what the hotel offers.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main street and higher up if noise is an issue for you - the back is away f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear CommDoc2000,

I really enjoyed your comments about the hotel and especially about my staff meeting your needs! I am glad you understand the limited space to hang things but mostly love to hear that now that you know the room type you will be prepared for your next visit with us.

Thank you again, I will be sure to thank my staff for making your stay!

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Love this hotel! Full of life. Great location! Rooms are clean and well managed. I even worked out in there gym which I found to be better then expected. Whenever I come to Tallahassee I will always try and stay at Alots. Most of all the staff is outstanding!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Klsignore,

WOW I am so proud to hear my staff was outstanding. I really appreciate to hear you will be a loyal guest of ours!

Thank you so much!

New Orleans LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is situated downtown which is close walking distance to many restaurants and shops. There is a great bar downstairs with a pool table nearby. Rooms are kind of small but well taken care of and most important..clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel or the nearby Hotel Duval.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Mr. MightlyMouse90,

Thank you for recommending our hotel to Trip Advisor fans! We much appreciate your time and would mostly want you back as a repeat or loyal guest to the Aloft Downtown!

Thank you!

Plant City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I arrived around 1am to the hotel with my daughter and grandson. I was exhausted but they were so very helpful and also quickly got a crib to the room for us. They put us on a high floor so we could have quiet as the early risers would be getting up and going. I so appreciated all the efforts they made to accomodate our needs.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Deb,

Isn't it great to walk into the Aloft Hotel Tallahassee and have the my team respond to your needs? I am so proud of my team and thank you for sharing your experience at the Aloft Hotel Downtown. We hope you can become a loyal Aloft Tallahasse Guest, we want you to be part of our family.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Seriously, there is a kiosk in the middle of the cement lobby and a ping pong table does duty as pastry sideboard in the morning at "ReFuel" -- Aloft's not free breakfast. Oh yeah, coffee is free except that the mornings I was there - two things were missing. Coffee and cups, which I'm guessing is what most business travelers want/need in the am. And um, who does this hipster hotel think they are serving in a block from the capital, in a landlocked Florida city that doesn't even boast a Shamu-cousin? Room was okay, except that the elevator dinger sounded like it was my lover and housekeeping kept neglecting to clean my room. First explanation I got -- I was on some do-not-clean request list (seriously?), then they didn't want to disturb me (when I was out working all day?), then it was something to do with my desire to be green (I love the planet, but I needed clean towels!) Unlike all the nearby competitors with lower price points, there is no room service at super cool Aloft. So I asked for take out menus and they gave me contact info for a delivery service which does not exist in Tallahassee. So I went downstairs to the tres cool WXYZ lounge (just where I wanted to work, by the way) and asked the waitress which was better -- the tomato soup or the red pepper soup. Guess what? They are the same soup, she says. Just different sizes. I'm sure that is so hip and ironic, but it was lost on me ... who is fairly hip but just wants to be comfortable and not starve and not be sleep deprived and not have to drip dry after I shower when I travel for work.
In short, loser concept and worse execution.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Hamandanyc,

First, let me please apologize for not meeting your needs at the Aloft Hotel. I am so sorry we did not meet then needs during your stay. I will take notes on all your comments and address them with my team. We do have another Starwood Hotel in the market, The Four Points by Sheraton. This hotel may be a better fit for you :)

my apologizes,

Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in Tallahassee but moved recently and had always wanted to come back and visit and stay in this great looking hotel. I have almost all great things to say about here. The front desk was very friendly and filled our request for a top floor room, the room itself was very quiet and had a great view looking down West Tennessee street. The only thing that was not my cup of tea was the bed, it is probably personal choice but I did not enjoy the bed at all, it was very firm and both my fiancee and I were not used to the firmness and woke up feeling like we had been hit by a truck. Do not take that as a bad thing as we have had many of our family and friends stay here and they have raved about it. It is more just my personal opinion as things could not have been better during our stay, very highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Mthomas177,

We do have light switches that can be less helpful, but we are working on labeling the master switch. We are GREEN too which, I agree we could have better lighting. I like you cell phone idea, I use mine often at home. Thank you so much for loving the style of the hotel. I enjoy too.

See you soon!

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great place to stay in Tallahassee. In walking distance to restaurants, convenient parking, and affordable. Loved the modern, fun decor through out the hotel. It was clean and comfortable. Enjoyed the bar and outdoor seating area. The room was great, but the lighting was problematic - could not turn the bathroom light on without turning on the light the bed area. Disruptive to person still sleeping. Tip: used cell phone light to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night ;)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AloftTallyStar, General Manager at aloft Tallahassee Downtown, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Nthomas177,

Awesome comments about our hotel! We wait for your return and bring more friends and family!

patsy.pagan@alofthotels.com

Been to aloft Tallahassee Downtown? Share your experiences!