“"Excellent"” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“"Excellent"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had the opportunity this past weekend to eat at Salt Creek several times. Everything from the food to the environment to the service was top notch. It's obvious from the 1st bite that this is NOT a chain restaurant. Everything has a taste you'd only expect to find in your mother or grandmother's kitchen. I've eaten fresh creamed corn from my family's farm my whole life and this restaurant must have stolen their recipe. The shrimp and grits is to die for. The owners care and it shows in every meal that is served. The shrimp in the low country boil were the most delicious shrimp I've ever tasted along with the potatoes, corn , and everything else that's thrown in. I tried a lot and it was all good enough that I'll make another trip from Jacksonville one day to try it again.

• Visited May 2013

florida
“Just so so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I and another couple eat there on Tuesday April 9. My meal was good, but my wife's fish was overcooked and hard.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kensington, Maryland
“You Have to Be Kidding?!?!?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Prior reviews - you HAVE to be kidding?!?!

We drove forever to the end of the earth to get to this place. Thank goodness the car didn't break down, otherwise you're stuck on the edge of the road and the theme from Deliverance will start playing. Regardless, we go there. Looks promising ... nice people, warm welcome, great setting.

We order drinks - so far so good - big pour. No alcohol in these drinks, but that's okay - we're miles from civilization and have to drive back, so we're okay with margarita mix and a non-intentional virgin sea breeze, We order the sample platters because we want a little bit of everything. So, the food arrives ...

The mullet - so many bones, you can't eat it.
The grouper - beyond fishy tasting. Wherever you got this fish, throw it back!
The scallops - at first we mistook them for fried eraser heads. We have never seen scallops this small. Not inedible, however, so onward we press ...
The oysters - we're afriad to eat them. Odd color, very rubbery - March has an "r" but we decide to pass after two leaps of faith.
The crab fingers - fried, which we suppose masked the taste - clearly this restaurant does a better job with fried, than it does with grilled. In fact, the crab fingers make us suspect that the cooks took their fried fish, scraped off the breaded coatings, and then put some grill marks on the fish to make us think that we were getting a grilled plate.
The shrimp - small, but semi-edible at least. Not that bad. But certainly not worth driving a half a day through no-sign-of-live-ville.

Bottom line - at best, as Red Lobster restaurant with a sunset. And before you get too excited about the sunset, beware that the restaurant faces North, not West. So, you get the side-set, not the full Monty sun set.

Again, nice people - they try hard to please - but if I wanted Red Lobster, I would have gone to Long John Silver's. We imagine that our experience would be different if we both weighed 400 pounds and wanted th early-bird special for blue hairs, fully fried. But we wanted fresh Florida fish, grilled. That, we did not get. Which leaves us wondering - where did the other reviewers go? Perhaps to Sarah's down the street, by mistake? Let's call it like it is - Red John Silver Lobster's with a view of the inlet - no more, no less.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SaltCreekSuwannee, Owner at Salt Creek Restaurant, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Ottis from Maryland,
I am sincerely sorry you had a bad experience at Salt Creek Restaurant. I have never in my 35 years in the business had a more dissatisfied customer as you have stated. This is not to say that on occasion mistakes aren't made, we are all human, but I and my partner have always corrected any problem on the spot and made sure the customer was happy before leaving. I know I did not speak with you of any dissatisfaction and I will be sure to ask my partner. As you can see from others who have been so gracious to comment on Trip Advisor we have a fairly good rating. Yes, it is quite a drive, 20 miles to be exact, through 58,000 acres of Federal Lands before you see our front door but we consistently have a packed restaurant every night and the majority of our patrons eat with us several times a week. So, you can see why I am so puzzled with your dissatisfaction. Did not anyone ask you during your meal if everything was OK? If not, I would like to know who waited on you. You made a comment on the sunset....as you may know, the sun does not set due west all year long and the restaurant faces NW. The sunset photo on trip advisor was taken from the restaurant deck overlooking Salt Creek the evening before Tropical Storm Debbie came ashore last year. Oh....the scallops....we serve local bay scallops, which are always small but full of flavor this said, I'm with you on scallops...I prefer deep sea scallops and when ordering anywhere in the south I ask the server what type they have. Some restaurants in Florida will have both.
I hope by writing you I have not refueled your fire but that you will understand that we or any business for that matter must know of a problem when it occur otherwise the problem may continue and we all lose. I'm not here to loose.
If you are ever so brave as to make the drive again please ask for me and I will make sure that your visit was worth the drive.

Chuck
Lake City, Florida
“Excelllent Visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited over the weekend and it was absolutley wonderful food and atmosphere! I have never wanted to write a review before but truley believe these people deserve greatest compliment indeed! Crab cakes, fried oysters, grouper, gator tail, shrimp, mullet dip we must have tried a little of everything.. WONERDFUL and worth the trip from Lake City anyday!! STAY for the weekend at Bills Fish Camp right up the road! I am a huge FAN~

• Visited February 2013
Old Town, Florida
“Suwannees Salt Creek Restaurant Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

For all the North Florida foodies that travel to Cedar Key for fresh seafood, Suwannee, Florida's Salt Creek Restaurant is the "new" place to drive in for a fantastic seafood / steak dinner! My wife and I have been so pleased with the new restaurant since the fire, and the new additions to the menu are wonderful!

You can still get a wonderful shrimp dinner that is better than anything in Ceader Key for a smaller bill, but new additions to the menu are terrific too! The new low country boil is a treat I had never known before. Fresh seafood, sausage potatoes and other goodies are boiled together in a seasoning that brings out the best, and it is served up like nothing I've ever experienced! I was so pleased! I have to admit it is hard to get me to try new things, but now I have a new favorite! My wife loves the clam chowder and key lime pie!

Service is comparable to any retaurant that offers true cooked to order foods, and the wait staff seem really interested in doing well without pretense. I really appreciate that! Good food, fast service with little chatter is for me!

Finally, prices are lower than most similiar establishments, and value is there in terms of quality and quantity! You will not be disappointed! My wife and I have enjoyed the Saturday night salad bar, and the Sunday noon dinner for about $7 for an entre' and two or three home cooked vegitables / sides offered on a special Sunday menu! For me, all the other places that serve fresh seafood are done. My wife and I are going to eat at Salt Creek in Suwannee!

• Visited November 2012