“Opening-day kinks but HUGE potential” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor - 17% Savings
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Surfside
Houston, Texas
“Opening-day kinks but HUGE potential”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We arrived on opening day, which was honestly quite a debacle. They were clearly not ready for opening, so I was a bit disheartened because I had such high hopes for a smooth and pleasant stay. Despite the lack of readiness of the hotel, I will have to say that the staff turned it around. This hotel has a huge amount of potential, and once the opening kinks are sorted out, this will definitely be one of my favorite places to visit.

The bad: honestly, the only bad things that I could think of (despite the fact that the hotel was not yet complete) was the lack of privacy on the balconies. There were no dividers, and I do not know if this was an example of something that is to be completed in the near future or if that was the design choice. If no dividers are to be placed on the balconies, I would have serious privacy and safety concerns. The other issue is that the air conditioning vent is right outside the door, so when you are sitting on the balcony, you can hear the very loud humming of the unit, which makes conversation a bit difficult.

Now for the good and great! First off, the common areas are drop dead gorgeous. My pictures do not quite do them justice, and it was raining during our stay, so I hope that I can just say to trust me that the website pictures of the common spaces are spot-on accurate. Flawless and elegant design, certainly easily rivaling any five-star hotel worldwide. The decor exudes a fresh coolness and inviting feeling that makes it perfect for a beach stay where you want to feel elegant but relaxed. I thought the pool area was lovely and well-landscaped, and the rooftop pool and lounge areas were exquisite as well. Once fully-complete, I really do see this hotel as an "it" place to be.

The next best thing about the hotel is the staff; they were working as hard as possible in the most difficult of circumstances during that first day. I felt really sorry for them because you could tell that they were struggling to be as accommodating as possible but that their hands were tied. That being said, I have stayed at hotels where they have been open for quite some time and seem to lose all sense of order once a complication arises. Clearly, the management here is well-trained and organized, and that has flowed through the rest of the staff. These people are five-star trained, and I thought they did a fantastic job keeping their cool despite some inflamed tempers of some of the less patient guests. I am terrible with names, but I remember Veronica from the front desk; she was really fantastic and helped make us feel welcome and calm, despite all the chaos. I felt very confident in the staff's ability to problem-solve and handle issues, and that is important to me. Seeing how they acted on what must have been the most chaotic of days the hotel will experience shows you how they can respond to crises that arise in the normal course of hotel operations once things are up and running. The valet and bellmen were also top-notch. Bravo!

I really, really loved the design/lay-out of the rooms. The rooms definitely look like the website pictures, although there was no artwork in the room as shown on the website. I figured that was probably due to the opening-day delays. Anyways, the bed was fantastic and comfortable, the lay-out was intuitive and felt spacious. My mom has difficulty getting around due to Parkinson's, but she also really enjoyed the hotel floorplan and design. I also loved the fact that there are two bathrooms; although we did not "need" them, it certainly made getting ready in the morning a breeze with no one bumping into each other! As with the common areas of the hotel, I think the design of the room oozes chic sophistication and elegance with muted tones. This is not a flashy hotel but rather a beautifully-designed place of relaxation.

The beach area was nice, but given the rain, I cannot really comment much on it since we stayed indoors most of the time. I liked the landscaping and the layout a lot. The beach loungers looked pretty close together, though, so I am not sure how much I would enjoy it at full occupancy.

Lastly, the area is also great; you are very close to Sunny Isles and Bal Harbour and not terribly far from Miami or Fort Lauderdale. There are tons of restaurants and shops in the area, so this makes for a great starting point for excursions.

Room Tip: Definitely get the beach-front rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Miroslava_Petrov, Social Media Representative at Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear DCTraveler1979, thank you for being among the first to choose and experience our brand new property- Grand Beach Hotel Surfside. It is encouraging to learn that you have overall enjoyed a pleasant experience during our opening days despite the fact that we are still in the process of finalizing some details throughout the hotel. We agree with you that the deficiencies you have come across are temporary. One of the building challenges you have faced and is currently in the process of being finalized are the balcony dividers you have mentioned in your review. It is with pleasure that we advise you of the fact that balcony dividers are included in the design of the hotel and shall be placed on the room balconies. We sincerely appreciate the wonderful feedback you had to share after experiencing our common grounds throughout the hotel, such as the lobby and pool and beach area. It is also great the décor managed to live up to your expectations. We could not be happier to hear of the kind words you had to share regarding our staff members’ service attitude, because it is our strive to provide a friendly and attentive customer service to all our guests. We could not agree more with you on the importance of a welcoming attitude on side of all our staff members and their ability for problem solving in a polite and friendly manner. We are pleased to read that our room accommodations were also to your satisfaction. It is wonderful you enjoyed so many aspects of your room accommodation, such as the room layout, the spectacular oceanfront view, the comfortable bedding, the comfort of 2 full bathrooms within the suite. You are also absolutely correct in your comments regarding the area surrounding the hotel. It is indeed rich on shops and restaurants; furthermore, both Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale are easily accessible from the hotel.
This outline of your experience will be helpful for other travelers considering staying with us and we are happy you have taken the time to share it with us and the TripAdvisor community. It has been our pleasure having you as one of our first guests and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful property and still in the process of opening fully but I guess this is part of fine tuning a finished product. Great staff though they have not started food services. Large rooms with nice views. Nice outdoors, great pools, great lobby with views to the ocean while you check in, NICE! Roof pool and bar are well thought out. Pool staff which also work on the beach were very helpful. Overall an excellent hotel, surely to be the gem of surfside.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Sandyform, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and impression of Grand Beach Hotel Surfside.
We are indeed in the process of finalizing some details on property; however, we are thrilled to hear of your wonderful feedback regarding the amenities and hotel grounds you were able to see and experience. Our restaurant was officially opened this past Friday- December 6, so you would definitely be able to join us for your breakfast, lunch, or dinner meals there upon your return visit. We are especially grateful for the comments you have shared regarding your nice interactions with staff members throughout the hotel. At the Grand Beach Hotel Surfside, we prioritize the customer service we deliver to our guests, because we do realize that even the greatest hotel grounds could be difficult to enjoy if they are not complimented by an excellent staff service attitude.
We sincerely appreciate you for choosing to stay with us and hope you shall decide to join us again soon, when you would be able to experience Grand Beach Hotel Surfside to its fullest.

Been to Grand Beach Hotel Surfside? Share your experiences!