“Never judge a book by its cover. . .” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Surfside
Columbia, Maryland
“Never judge a book by its cover. . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

My wife and I just returned from a seven-night vacation at the Solara Surfside Resort where the rooms were nicely decorated with warm vibrant colors and patterns. First, I am against valet parking per I own a two-month-old 2007 Saturn Aura of which I do not permit anyone else to drive due to a prior bad experience. Therefore, when I arrived at the resort, I was staggered when told that the “forced” valet parking [per there is a fee involved] was optional. I was then confronted by blatant sarcasm when told that I could park my vehicle several blocks down the street and feed the meter several times a day if I decided not to utilize the valet parking. Second, I am an IT professional who utilizes the internet daily. Unfortunately, I spent numerous hours in the lobby per that was the only area in the resort with a wireless access point. Arrgh! Third, while in the lobby I witnessed several unsupervised children and preteens chasing one another throughout the lobby, out by the pool and down the corridors, circling the area where I was attempting to read my email, which is only several feet from the check in desk and in plain view of the clerk. Fourth, my wife was attempting to do her daily workout in the fitness room but was interrupted by yet another group of unsupervised children roughhousing and misusing the equipment in a injurious fashion, who might I add are not suppose to be in the fitness area without a parent or guardian or so the sign read. However, when my wife brought this to the Desk Clerks attention she was told, “I thought I saw them in there. I will get someone.” Fifth, the courtesy washer and dryer is a nice addition when available. My wife and I decided to start our laundry on Wednesday to try to beat the Friday rush but were railroaded into a eight an one half hour wait per non courteous residents who started loads but waited hours to finish and retrieve them. In the end, we utilized a washer and dryer on the 5th floor while our unit was on the 3rd floor. In summary, do not waste your money vacationing at this resort unless you like “forced” valet parking, like using the internet in the lobby, are a parent with no intention of supervising your children while on vacation and can wait to do your laundry when you return home.

• Liked — The oceanfront view
  • Disliked — forced valet parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

Booked this through RCI. I have to say I was somewhat nervous. This is not the Ritz Carlton but I is in a good location and perfectly adequate. Room was Okay. Kitchen Well Stock. Bed Decent and the Staff was great. There are complimentary Washers and Dryers on some floor. The beach was nice and the pool was okay. Can't say I used either. I was in Cancun the week before so it was kind of a let down. The A/C was strong. Everything worked. If you had any questions the desk staff was more than happy to help with directions and resturant locations.

Stayed May 2007
Mcdonough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We stayed at the Solara in May 2007 pre cruise for 2 nights. The property was exquisite. The rooms looked just like the pictures. We booked an oceanfront, 2 bedroom. It had windows on every wall in every room, 2 balconies and was decorated beautifully.

The staff was excellent. Very friendly and right after we got up to our room and had time to look around they called up to make sure everything was ok. Kitchen well equipped, beds very comfy. Wish we would have had more time there. Grounds were great with outdoor grills and tables and umbrellas for use by the pool.

The only drawback was, we booked online and did not know it was a timeshare. Soon as we checked in they started calling to sit in on that. We booked because they said we would have time to do our tour and do this,however that was not true. We left a note that pm to cancel us for the next day and at 8:00am they started calling our room every 10 minutes. We were courteous enough to cancel ahead and this was very rude and uncalled for.If we would have wanted to sleep in we couldn't. Beware and do not agree to this unless you really want to go. They offered $75.00 to sit in, most time shares give you the 2 or three day stay free. Would surely stay there again. GREAT

• Liked — window, balconies, space
  • Disliked — time share people
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sicklerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

We came back from a week at Surfside Solara last Saturday. The
hotel exceeded our expections. We were greeted by Giselle and Claudia and allowed to check in at noon. The valets are friendly and do double duty as bell hops. If you go, tell Jonassaint that we said, "Hi".

Our one bedroom apartment was clean and freshly painted. It had nice furniture, a kitchen with all the supplies and appliances we needed, plenty of storage space, and a balcony.

There is an old-fashioned avenue of shops and restaurants about 3-4 blocks away. We recommend Flanagan's in Surfside and the Crab House on the 79th St. Causeway. There is also a Publix supermarket by the shops. It has great roast pork with peppers and onions, rolls, and potato salad to take back to the Solara Surfside. The ham croquets were also good.

The location was perfect for us, north of Miami Beach, which is far busier with a lot of building going on. There was plenty to do within a short drive. We went to Parrot Jungle Island off of Macarthur Causeway, Gulfstream Park in Hallandale, caught a movie at the Aventura Mall on a cloudy day, drove south to the Falls for lunch, visited old friends near the Falls, and took the Key West Express ferry on the last day.

The hotel has free internet service in the activities room. The grounds were also pretty and clean. There was a pool, a hot tub, shuffleboard court, hammocks, and gas grills between the hotel and the beach. We weren't looking for activities so we didn't miss them. There was a $2 per day charge for the safe and a bargain price of $3 per day for valet parking.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Safe on the floor of the bedroom closet and some traffic noise for Unit #410
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cary, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

My husband and I just returned from Solara Surfside last week. We stayed for 3 nights/4 days. Upon getting to the resort (around 3:30pm--official check-in is supposed to be 4pm) we were greeted by a friendly staff member at the front desk. Check-in went smoothly and we were given a key to our room. The desk person commented that "We were the last people to check-in for the day." I wasn't sure why she felt the need to say that until we got to our room (Suite 210). It was the worst room in the place. One side of windows faced a busy street and the other side faced another condo complex with busy trucks going in and out of the dead end street between them. The furniture was dirty and so was the carpet (the bottom of my feet turned black after walking around). I was really upset when I saw it and called the front desk, who informed me they were booked solid. I debated for a few moments to go to another hotel, but our stay was already paid for, so we dealt with it. It was also on the second floor and nights were sleepless due to the noise of the street (they gave me earplugs that helped a little). On the plus side, the bed was comforable and it was so nice to have a full kitchen to use. We bought food at the local grocery and saved a lot by having breakfast in the room each day. The beach on the other side of the condo was beautiful. Clear blue water, clean sand and water that felt like a warm bath. There were also few people at the beach on this end. I loved it. The only parking they had there was valet ($3 per day--not bad) and it was convenient. They also charge you $2 per day for an in-room safe, whether you use it or not. The only way I would stay at this hotel again is if I had an ocean front room, otherwise forget it. The hotel is a lot smaller than the surrounding ones, which was fine (but that means less good rooms). It was fairly close to Miami (about a 10 minute drive up Collins). They also had buses going. Hope that helps.

• Liked — Location was close to Miami but far enough away to enjoy a less crowded beach. Comforable bed, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Sofa and carpet were very dirty. Location of some rooms very noisy and terrible view.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

I recently returned from our 2nd stay at The Surfside Solara located on the outskirts of Miami Beach. 8801 collins Ave. Now you might wonder why we went back to a place that had a shaky review last time around well we were kinda stuck going back due to Bluegreen issues. We arrived 4/21 4 hours before check in and we allowed to check in right away which was great because it was windy and rainy. The front desk manager remembered us right away and made check in a breeze. We had the correct room and were happy about that. Still only had a studio but as long as you bring an air mattress a family of 4 is fine. There are doors that close off the room. The staff was great this time around, Maggie is great with the kids and adults. She is an assett to the company!!! I would still suggest staying out of the park a block away. My kids and husband walked up on some drug use early in the afternoon. Another guest told us he had some numb chucks pulled out on him. The Solara hired a new concierge company and they arent very good so I suggest using the internet. As long as you watch yourself while exploring the beach you will have a good time.

Reading
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

We booked with Opodo for just over 50 GBP ($106) per night following some of the good reviews on Trip advisor but were worried that it would not be of a very high standard.

In fact it was a great choice and our 18 month old son loved the large rooms (especially running round and round the suite) which have partitions so that you can close off the bedroom. The kitchen joined on to the living room, both of which were clean, roomy and well kitted out. There were some additional nominal fees for the safe and parking (these were not too expensive at $2 and $6 per day) and it would have been good to have a bar/restaurant downstairs, but other than this we were only sorry that we could only stay for 2 nights before heading off to Orlando for a wedding.

The staff on reception were helpful and the beach a 1 minute walk out the back of the hotel. Restaurants/bars were a little way away. We took the car and ate at Flannigans which was good (lunch deal for $4.95 was good value).

• Liked — Large, clean rooms with partitions
  • Disliked — no bar/restaurant
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Solara Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!