“Too close for comfort” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Uncle Lui's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 204 restaurants in Sunrise
Cuisines: German, Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: University Drive
Description: Uncle Lui’s offers family-style dining that crisscrosses Europe. German and Hungarian dishes like goulash and schnitzel are on the menu, as are items like roast duck, chowders and homemade apple strudel. The friendly service adds to the appeal, as do the wallet-friendly prices.
Tamarac, Florida
“Too close for comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went to Uncle Lui's for the first time on Wednesday. They are only open Wednesday thru Sunday in the evening. Reservations are a must.
They are located in a very undesirable looking strip mall that runs perpendicular to the main street. Good thing they are one of the close units to the street or I might not have driven down any further in the dark.
You walk into a clean but small dining area with tables much to close to each other.
The food was good. My wife ordered trout almondine which she said was good and I had lamb chops also very tasty.
One of the complaints I have is that they give much to much food and price it accordingly. We DO NOT take food home from restaurants and therefore have to leave a lot of food on the table that we have paid for. They do have an early bird that we will try next time where the price is less and the portions smaller.
The folks at the other tables, all an elbows length away, were talking loudly and drowned out the words of our dining partners who speak very softly. That is very I titled my review "Too Close For Comfort" and gave it 4 not 5 stars
The potato pancakes that they start you out with are big and great. They also serve red cabbage and cream spinach with the meal, family style. To be truthful I tried neither as there just wasn't room in my stomach for any more.
They also end the meal with coffee, tea etc and dessert which I did not refuse. The strudel was very tasty. The dessert is included in the meal price, or I would have passed.
I went home and had an antacid and swore never to "pig out" again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
florida
“Incredible Hungarian, German and Mediterrain fod”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have eaten at Uncle Lui's, a family owned restaurant, many times. It is a place where I always take visiting guests who want to go there again when they visit.
The meals are moderately priced and include ladtkes, entree, dessert and coffee or tea.
To die for: Snitzel, Paprika chicken, lamb shank, paella, hunters snitzel, hungarian goulash, garlic chicken. Everything is fantastic and usually accompanied by creamed spinach and red cabbage and those oh so delicious rolls. Everythiung including the strudel is home made.
Reservations are required but I have never had a problem seating when I wanted to. You will even hear Eastern European languages being spoken. A small, cozy restaurant tucked into a strip mall. A fantastic surprise!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cooper City, FL
“Smorgasbord of tastes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Family restaurant only open 4 to 10 pm Wednesday thru Sunday. Altho, primarily a Hungarian eatery the menu covers entrees from many different countries - Hungary, Germany, France, Spain, etc. My wife, who knows her fish, ordered the Trout Almondine and felt it lacked the taste she had expected. I had the Veal Gulash with spetzle - enough food for 2 to 3 meals!!! Delicious but unfortunately it lost most of its taste after reheating at home. Meals run from about $15 to $18 including 2 sides, soup or salad, dessert and coffee or tea. (The red cabbage and cream spinach are very tasty.) The meals are well worth the price. However, if you live nearby I would recommend the take-out, running $9 to $12 for the main entree and 2 sides. (Cash only)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Lovely Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went to Uncle Lui's without a reservation. Luckily we were able to be accommodated without a wait. Reservations are recommended. The restaurant is not large and is very tastefully decorated.
Shortly after we sat down, we were served rolls and butter (good) and a really delicious potato pancake with applesauce and sour cream. For the next course we both chose the cauliflower soup. It was a vegetable soup with small pieces of cauliflower. We both thought it was tasty.
For the main course, I ordered the wiener schnitzel with red cabbage and spaetzel. (sp ?). These are favorites of mine and I was pleased with it. My dining companion ordered the hunter schnitzel with red cabbage and home fries. He was happy with his choices. For dessert I had the divine apple strudel with whip cream. My companion had cheese cake. We were both delighted with our meals and took quite a bit of it home with us. The portions were very large and we could probably have split one meal. However, it tasted great the next day too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Deerfield Beach, Florida
“Real Hungarian food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Here is a restaurant run by a Hungarian family. Lots of delicious eastern European dishes. If you listen, you will hear Hungarian spoken by the servers and the clientele.
The food is great and the prices are very low. About $15 gets you a complete dinner if you are seated by 6 p.m. or so. Add a couple of bucks after the "early bird special"

Visited May 2012