“Not the best choice” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Sao Paulo, SP
“Not the best choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights.
The smell of the room was not good. I don't know what was done in my room before I arrived but it was terrible. A mix of smoke and humid carpet smell.
The beds were just OK and I got a waterflood in the restroom once.

The hotel is being renovated (They really need it).

The internet works well and the staff is kind.

Next time I'll try to find somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
North Myrtle Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

There are two LaQuinta Inns located almost side by side. I wish I had stayed at LaQuinta Sunrise...not LaQuinta Sunrise Sawgrass Mills. While the staff is very friendly and most accommodating, the hotel is under renovation...not TOTALLY RENOVATED as advertised. I stayed in a room that had been completely renovated, and it was very nice and clean; but the Internet access is terrible. Apparently this hotel has been bought from another chain and is being renovated. On the other hand, the LaQuinta Sunrise appears to be a property built by LaQuinta and is much more impressive. The desk clerk showed me a room, and it was very nice. Both locations are very close to Sawgrass Mills Mall and the BB&T Center. If I ever return for another concert, I will definitely stay at the LaQuinta Sunrise. There is a reason that out of 4 Sunrise hotels LaQuinta Sunrise was ranked #2 and LaQuinta Sunrise Sawgrass Mills is #4. Signs of wear are beginning to show in the half of the hotel where the renovation is complete.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Guayaquil, Ecuador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

50% of the hotel is under construction. Contractors use the same elevator as guests so you have to be careful because they might hit you with all kinds of stuff they are using while renovating the rooms.

The worst part of the stay was at 11pm when the toilet overflowed! The whole floor was full of whatever you can imagine.... No more words needed. Front desk person in charge told us that she can not help us. The only thing she offered was not to charge us for the room. It was almost midnight and we had to leave to the airport at 5am. We decided to stay for a few hours.

We left at 5am as planned. Without being able to get the front desk person attention. I guess that we were not noisy engough to wake her up. We just left a note saying that we checked out.

Stay away from this hotel. At least until they finish the renovation. It's a pity since is very close to Sawgrass Mills Mall.

Room Tip: On site construction!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed for three days on business and was impressed with the quality of the rooms and hotel, generally, for what I paid. I found the staff helpful and friendly, breakfast was fine and free USA newspaper daily. My only bugbear was the terrible Internet speed (<1Mb download on a good night). I confirmed this with technical support who had to reset my router before it could even connect properly. It's the same speed across the road, where a sister LaQuinta is also available. It's a shame, because I have to access my work while I am on the road and my laptop wouldn't connect at such low speeds. Otherwise I'd rate 5 stars and definitely return again if they fix the slow Internet.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this property in August. We flew in from Toronto to shop at Sawgrass Mills for 2 days then we were taking a cruise. We booked this online using Expedia which lists this as a 3 star property.

We pulled into the hotel parking lot and it looked bright and new. As we were checking in the receptionist advised us we were at the wrong property. Apparently, the one we were booked at was directly across the street adjoining the gas station. Same hotel name - same owners. So we drove across the street only to find a terrible looking hotel clearly under renovation and not newly renovated. There was a crowd of shady guys in the parking lot......I was reluctant to proceed. I asked the receptionist if we could go back to the first property since it was owned by the same company and she said i would lose my prepaid room and would have to pay again and pay more. Sadly, we checked in.

There are fans blowing air in the hallways to absorb moisture. The room smelled like mold, was dark and dingy. It clearly wasn't cleaned as there was still someone else's hair in the shower. The doors were paper thin and as a result we were up all night due to the noise in the hallway til around 4am. In the morning when I mentioned this to the receptionist she advised me to call the front desk if it happens again "as they kick people out all the time."

The so called gym had no equipment that worked - in fact nothing was even plugged in....

It was a terrible stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills? Share your experiences!