“La Quinta - Sunrise - Good stay at a good price” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13651 Northwest 2nd Street, Sunrise, FL 33325   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“La Quinta - Sunrise - Good stay at a good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights at the end of May and found that it was a good hotel for a quite reasonable price. The only small draw back was that it was quite busy and there was limited room for people to sit and eat breakfast at the peak time of 8.30am.

Room Tip: Take a room a the back - Even numbered rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

Stayed here one night on a shopping trip. The hotel looks like it has been recently renovated. The room was nice and clean with new carpet and furnishings. The sink is right by the front door and the toilet/shower is in a sepearate room. Beds very comfortable and air conditioning worked just fine. Bath towels a bit skimpy and as another reviewer noted, the electronic keys didn't always work. The free breakfast was good, pastries fresh and tasty. Also bagels, cereal and waffles. Front desk staff was extremely friendly. Perfect location near freeway and shopping. I would easily stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — nothing I can think of
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Marietta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

This was a Baymont, now a LaQuinta. There is also a former Wellesley next door, now a LQ Inn and Suites. This is an ok hotel which has received some recent remodeling, but needs more work. I had to change rooms since the electronic door lock would not read my key...repeatedly. I am not the only guest that had this problem. There were also ants in my first room and mold in my second room. The beds are new and very good. The wireless internet worked flawlessly. This location is fantastic. Right next door to a new Ikea, down the road from huge Sawgrass Mills outlet mill, a few blocks away from Lester's Diner and a Starbucks.
You might be better off spending a few more bucks and going next door to the Inn and Suites.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — never knew if I'd be able to get back into my room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clarenville NF
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2006

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before catching a cruise. We enjoyed the close proximity to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a great place to shop. We walked back and forth there 3 times during our stay there. Took us about 25 mins one way. We also got #36 bus for $1.00 each from the Mall to the Swap Shop Flea Market. The bus trip was about an hour but it was worth it. Also, close to this Hotel is Lester's Restaurant, where we enjoyed the food and nice atmoshere.
Overall, we found this hotel to be a decent price, very clean and quite convenient for what we needed.

• Stayed March 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2005

This is an average hotel, but I did have a few concerns. We paid around $65 each night for two nights, through an internet special we found. The first room they gave us, as we stepped in the room, it felt rather warm. We tried to adjust the air conditioning up as high as it would go, but it did not appear to be cooling the room. My husband called downstairs, and we received a new room that appeared to have a fully working air conditioner. However, this room had ants around the sink. We used to live in the South though, and often had ants in our apartment, so I was not extremely surprised.

The hotel was supposed to have wireless internet access in all rooms. When we placed our laptop on the desk, the signal was so weak that it would not stay connected. In fact, it found another connection other than the Baymont (from where I don't know), that appeared to be stronger. Considering the fact that we were staying in the Baymont, this does not seem right. I would expect the Baymont Signal to be stronger than any others, even on the 4th floor. So, we moved the computer to the edge of the bed, facing the sink, and that gave us a better signal where we could stay connected to the internet.

Now, why do I say to check the ground? Well, to begin with, when I went to get ice, I noticed what looked to be a room key on the ground near the ice machine. However, the key looked different than the one we received as hotel guests, so I wondered if it was a staff hotel key. (The keys are all electronic cards). I went down to the front desk and turned it in. The person working at the front desk told me it was basically a master key for the entire hotel, and that they had apparently dropped it earlier. (but apparently did not seem to realize they had dropped it, if I understood correctly). They thanked me for returning it, but it did concern me that a master key to the whole hotel was laying on the ground for anyone in the hotel to use. I understand, people do make mistakes. But at the same time, hotel security is very important to me.

Why else should you check the ground? We had a snake in the pool while we were swimming in it. My husband did report it to the front desk, and the person working the desk said they would call the day manager to see what to do about it. We did not hang around to find out what was done about it, as we went up to our room instead.

The pool was a nice temperature, but had quite a few bugs in it. Also, the window pane on our window did not seem to fully cover the entire window - like humidity, bugs, etc. could come in around one edge.

The continental breakfast was wonderful - waffles, yogurt, cereals, fruit, etc. However, on the last day, they ran out of maple syrup, which would have added a lot to the waffles!

• Stayed July 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2005

We liked this hotel. We stayed there for 5 nights and anything coludnt be better! The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The room was clean and comfortable. There were a microwave and a small refrigerator that I found very usefull specially when you have a baby like we do. They arranged a crib for him too. They served a daily continental breakfast (fruit, donuts, waffles, cereal and drinks). The location was great, very near to sawgrass mills (1 mi) and restaurants. We got a very good deal for the price ($69). They dont have safe deposit boxes, though!!

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

I would advise anyone thinking about staying at this Baymont Inn not to do so. Our room had been broken into. The Baymont Inn in Sunrise Florida, located near Sawgrass Mills and not far from Ft. Lauderdale may look nice from the outside but on a recent stay for just one night in the beginning of February 2005, we checked into our room, unloaded our luggage and left for the evening. When we returned we found the door to our room open and our things scattered about. The night clerk on duty was absolutely no help and combative with us. We asked for her to call a manager who we were told was away and there was no one in a higher position that could help. The police were called to the hotel and we ended up leaving the hotel and staying at the nearby Crowne Plaza (which was fantastic). When I finally spoke to the hotel manager since he didn;t return my calls, he too was defensive, unsympathetic and argumentative with me rather than mearly saying he was sorry. Anyone thinking of staying at this hotel should be aware that their security is not up to par as the door leading into the hotel which should have been locked as stated on the door from 10pm until 5am (use your room key) was never locked either. I obviously would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2005

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Sunrise Sawgrass Mills? Share your experiences!