“Surprising Hilton Hotels experience (and, not in a good way)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills

You added Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   13400 West Sunrise Boulevard, Sunrise, FL 33323 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale at Sawgrass Mills Mall)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sunrise
Atlanta, GA
“Surprising Hilton Hotels experience (and, not in a good way)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Let me say upfront that I would agree wholeheartedly with other reviewers comments about the front desk staff's attentiveness to customer service, free covered parking as well as beautiful, well-maintained common areas. Although I don't believe he's the general manager, I'd also agree with another reviewer's glowing comments in regards to Josh at the front desk. The rooms themselves are roomy, well appointed as well as furnished and equipped nicely. And, I did eat two meals at the hotel's restaurant. Both were quite good and relatively inexpensive.

From there, my review diverges. When I checked in,the first room I was given had the sofa bed mattress out on the floor leaning on the end table in the living room area. When I returned to the front desk, Josh apologized profusely and upgraded me to an even larger suite as well as insisted I have a complimentary drink at the restaurant. That was all good. However, the next room had issues as well.

I stay at either Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts or Intercontinental hotels while traveling on business. I would say this was the most disappointing stay I've had this year in terms of room cleanliness and maintenance. The carpet in the second room had not been vacuumed between stays or was done poorly, there were two short black hairs in the bath lav sink upon arrival, there was a small amount of unknown substance on the bedspread, there was a piece of tape that stayed on the BR door jamb my entire stay, part of the LR drape was off the hook causing it to sag, 11 of 12 lamp shades were askew upon arrival, etc. Now, none of this in and of itself was a major problem, but it clearly was below those standards that I would expect from this type of hotel.

Also, although the room are very nicely furnished, the furniture is beginning to show its age with many edges missing stain where worn from use. It's a relatively quick, inexpensive fix to refinish these edges to make it look like new. Having been in a related business for many years now, I know the cleanliness and room readiness issues are just lack of management's attention to detail and training.

If I were to return to the Ft. Lauderdale area in the near future, I would hesitate to stay at this hotel because of the above-referenced items. That's the first hotel I've stayed in this year where I'd make that statement.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
JohnSchillingGM, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your review we appreciate the feedback. I'm glad you experienced our great service and friendly staff. I am sharing your comments with our houskeeping and maintenance managers and staff and will continue to always try and improve our product. We recently moved into the top 10% of all Doubletree by Hilton Hotels for overall service and experience and want to stay there so we will take your comments to heart.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for many yrs. It was in desperate need of a total renovation.
However,,what they are describing as a recent renovation is not the case. I just stayed
there this week,,and was quite disappointed. The only changes were the lobby,
2 new chairs in the rooms, and another new piece of furniture mixed in with some old and
worn pieces. The carpeting is in horrible condition,,many stains,,and was not replaced.
The carpet in the hallways is new,,,why they didn't replace the room carpeting is beyond
comprehension.

The only reason to stay here is location. But for me, now that no longer applies. There
are several other hotels in the area that have been newly updated and offer the same
amenites.

The service is great,,and that is a plus. But, for the future,,i will have to stay elsewhere.
Maybe they will eventually replace all the old furniture and carpeting,,.but, there is no
way i would walk on the carpeting without shoes.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. You are correct and spot on the only two things in the rooms we did not do was the carpet and desks. These two remaining items are scheduled for replacement in the first part of 2013. We did not replace the carpet at the time because it was not at the end of it's useful life and while green in color our carpets are very clean and are not stained or worn. We also put in a brand new work out room, breakfast area, Directv programming with over 120 HD channels and the Doubletree Sweet Dreams bedding package. Try us again after the first of the year we'd love to have you back!
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Landed in Miami airport Friday late afternoon, wanted to drive to Orlando next morning.
We planned on spending a few hours at the Sawgrass Mills Mall, before going to bed (have learnt this is a great way to beat jet-lag!)
Since we often use the Hilton chain, this came up as a perfect pick.
And - indeed it was.
The staff was extremely friendly, and we immediately felt at home. Check-in was a very nice surprise indeed - fast and extremely friendly. Free parking was just on the other side of the street. Wifi included as well.
Might seem a bit worn down, but for our purpose, this was notan issue.
Going back again - this will be on our list again as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your response. We are going to replace our guest room carpet early 2013 and I'm sure that will fix the worn issue. The carpet is not worn out but it is a dark color which is not trendy but we do keep it very clean by a professional carpet cleaning company on a regualar basis. See you next time you are in town!
Bogotá
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I´ve made my reservation by Hotwire (unpublished hotel) and was pleasantly surprised staying at this hotel.

It´s located next to the sawgrass mills mall - aprox. 40 minutes away from the international airport.
Parking: a parkdeck is available - free of charge!

At check-in there was a queue of people - but the staff managed to solve the situation within a few minutes.

The rest of the check-in was quick; the staff friendly.

The room large and clean - with a coffeemaker, microwave, minibar...
The bathroom - also nice, clean and functional.

Internet (wifi) was free, stable and at high speed (aprox. 4Mbit/s).

Another pleasant surprise was the gym - with new and well maintained equipment.
Open 24 hours/day - so there´s no excuse "not to exercise".

A nice place - the only downside is the view out of the room - not exciting to look at the parkdeck on the opposite side.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing your review. Yes I agree anytime you are here folks ask for a room facing the mall if it is available the view is great on that side......not that the other side is horrible just not as exciting. See you next time you are in Sunrise.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Josh, the Manager, remembered me from a previous stay and greeted me by name when I walked up to the reception desk. I knew instantly that they would insure I had a great stay.

I've stayed here a lot. Back when it was The Crowne Plaza. Since its become a DoubleTree, the quality of everything has gone up. Not least of all the level of attention to detail.

My room was perfectly clean, and immaculately furnished. The decor was fresh and new. Breakfast buffet is the best infirm Ft. Lauderdale. If your looking for a high quality comfortable stay, this is it. I will stay always when I'm in Ft. Lauderdale.

Thank you Josh.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the Sunrise Blvd. Istayed in 9. 10 would be the best. Views a amazi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Josh has been here for over a year and we get so many great comments about him not sure what I'd do without him! I'm going to recognize him and let him know about your comments. See you next time you are in Sunrise.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights with husband who was on business. The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are very clean and cozy. The TV was a hit, this is the only hotel I ever been that had Direct TV so there where tons of channels to look at.

The staff was very nice. House keeping made sure they kept the room clean, supplied us with clean towels and Wolfgang Puck coffee:) We ordered room service daily and Brad the room service waiter went out of his way to make up for an incorrect order that was not his fault. He made sure he did an excellent job on our next order. Thanks Brad!

This hotel is obviously ran by good management because everything was perfect. We will always stay there when in town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for writing your review. I'm going to make sure we give brad recognition and an incentive for your review of him. Also I'm so happy you found the Directv service great because we really pushed the owners for that service and it is definately paying off for our guests because of the comments we are getting. See you next time when you are in town.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

My family and I spent a long weekend at this hotel and it was a great overall experience! Great location and service.

Above all, the staff and Gm John Schilling work to exceed expectations.

We had an issue regarding our booking but the staff worked out a resolution and mr Schilling called me personally to follow up which was greatly appreciated.

Thank you to the staff- we hope to return soon. Gpn97

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you so much for writing your comments. It was a pleasure helping you during your stay. We look forward to seeing you when you are in Sunrise next.

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Sunrise - Sawgrass Mills? Share your experiences!